Used 2003 Subaru Outback H6-3.0 Wagon Consumer Reviews - 12 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Subaru Outback Wagon - Consumer Reviews

2003 Subaru Outback Wagon

View reviews for a specific Outback model:

Peppy, all the bells and whistles, safe
By Campbell

2003 Subaru Outback Wagon H6-3.0 AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Reliably safe and very peppy!

Wow, where do I start?
By jillreyna

2003 Subaru Outback Wagon H6-3.0 AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I have a 2003 H6 V3.0 with just 119,000 miles on it. It is hard to put this car and "reliable" together in the same sentence, not to mention that dealers in my area do not stock many parts for it. Averaging around $450+ per simple repair, after shopping around some. I would buy any other Subaru, but any reader who finds this a good car value is welcome to make me an offer. One-owner Arizona vehicle, driven by senior person. Maintained to point of exhaustion.

Good visibility, reasonably good interior space.

Improve front passenger seat comfort, reduce wind and road noise. Supply dedicated mechanic with vehicle.

Its taken me to the moon..now I want to come back
By gowest2

Ok.
So I am a died in the wool subaru fan but will make no bones about the fact that the H4 (2.5 liter models during these years and current models) have a BOATLOAD of head gasket problems. Their failure rate is very high.
I happen to be lucky enough to have the 3.0 H6.
I have just about 270k now and it still runs great and burns no oil.
I maintain it well and do all the maintenance repairs myself.
Have had no major repairs as of yet.

Pros: The damn thing costs me pennies to drive when I really do the math..cuz it simply just keeps tickin. The awd is on par with other world class systems such as audi. With snow tires I cannot suggest a better car to drive in snow/ice conditions. Handles very well for a wagon. Oh...yeah..and it's a wagon! I still don't understand why Americans don't like wagons for the most part. Call me crazy...I love em! Overall I'd but another one tomorrow if I have too. I just hope the new 3.6 H6 is as reliable as this one!

Cons: Very cramped. Not a great car to stretch out in. Wind noise from the flawed mirror design. Marginal mpg (around 20 around town). The ABS system sucks with this car. I had to disable mine as I would simply rather not have it than have a poorly working system. Maybe the new models have these issues fixes...I hope.

Guess I got the lemon
By Jane

2003 Subaru Outback Wagon H6-3.0 AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Immediately post-purchase, I noticed the car hesitated on acceleration & had slow & clunky gear shifting. I was told that was just "the boxer engine"?! The car chews thru the brakes - been replaced & repaired every year. Wind noise has been a constant irritation & I can't read stereo settings on bright days due to glare. Today, I was told that the head gasket is blown and the brake pads are gone again. In spite of having routine maintenance, this 6 year old car has had a long history of expensive repair, gets poor mileage & requires more expensive gas. I would never buy another Subaru but from others' revus, clearly I'm in the minority?! Must have been the lemon?!

Comfort & styling.

Brakes, wind noise, stereo lighting, fuel efficiency & cost, smoother drive.

Reliable
By Sorin

2003 Subaru Outback Wagon H6-3.0 AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought it brand new and now I have 140.000 on it. Drives like the first day. Have not had ANY engine/transmission problems. Wasted money on extended warranty. Did oil change myself, fuel filter only changed a couple a times, transmission fluid drained twice, Serp belt went at 100K. Changed spark plugs (major pain, buried deep) at 100K, looked like new. VERY reliable in all kinds of weather. Cons: wind noise (only if you want to drive above 80, and then I guess it's a good thing, it keeps you alert). Not enough leg room. Those who think a 6 cylinder will accelerate faster forget about it, it doesn't, because it's heavier. It is friendly, though, once you get to know it.

This car can take you anywhere with the proper tires. I have had no problems with hydroplaning, drives great in snow. No car is good on ice.

The AC temperature sensor is located too close to the McIntosh sound system that tends to get hot.