Used 2003 Subaru Outback Limited Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Subaru Outback - Consumer Reviews

2003 Subaru Outback Wagon

View reviews for a specific Outback model:

Would not by another Subaru
By G Frank

2003 Subaru Outback Wagon Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Negatives:The head gasket went at 73,000, just past the warranty. I went online and there were 450 complaints on one website about the head gaskets on Subarus, yet never a factory recall. At 75,000, a fuel injector had to be replaced. Mileage on car is lousy -- as low as 19 mpg in town. Car leans a lot on turns and dealers said that is characteristic of the car. Turning radius is poor and is therefore dangerous when making a u-turn.

Favorite Features

Very good in snow. Very quiet ride. Good body integrity.

Suggested Improvements

Make a hybric model. Do something to improve m.p.g. Make a car that is really reliable, and when something is defective (like years of faulty head gaskets), issue a factory recall.

Another good Subaru
By Chuck

2003 Subaru Outback Wagon Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I am generally happy with this car. It gives me the cargo capacity that I need and is also useful as a passenger car. My car is a 4-cylinder and it seems a little weak on acceleration and going up hills. This can be particularly annoying when trying to merge onto the highway. Probably the 6-cylinder engine is best on this vehicle.

Favorite Features

One thing that I liked about this car was that it came with so many standard features. I didn't feel the need to add accessories. Cruise control, a/c, moonroof (2 of them) were standard.

Suggested Improvements

The electrical system does not generate enough power to power a bunch of accessories at the same time. When I have the heater, headlights and defroster on, the wipers start to slow down if I am idling. This was a problem in 2 other Subarus I had too.

2003 Subaru Outback Limited Manual
By Joey Sarducci

2003 Subaru Outback Wagon Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Great car - but don't get the manual or try it out for a while first around town. The accelerator has a dead zone at low rpms making it a terrible car to try and drive at slower speeds where you are slowing and sppeding up...very jerky. Drivers side window has bad wind noise - 2 trips to dealer and still terrible. can be fixed by quickly tapping the window down (~1/8 inch)

Favorite Features

Looks, and AWD performance

Suggested Improvements

Change the accelerator connection or programming. Car is way too jerky when trying to decelerate.

My 3rd Subaru, with more to come!
By urabus

2003 Subaru Outback Wagon Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I'm more into function, than form. This car is the best I've owned. AWD is great ALL the time, not just in snow. Safety rating is comparable to Volvo, for thousands less. My wife drives our '96 O/B with 130k...still as good as it was when we bought it 6 years ago. I can't imagine driving anything else.

Favorite Features

AWD, leather, dual moonroofs, cavernous cargo room. You sit high enough to see over cars, but not too high to flip, like many SUVs.

Suggested Improvements

Lower price?!

good suv alternative
By adhong

2003 Subaru Outback Wagon Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

handles great thanks to awd...does everything you would need an suv for with more comfort. ive had mine for about 4 months, and ive been really happy with it so far. service and sales have been great.

Favorite Features

dual sunroofs, cargo area mat

Suggested Improvements

integrated homelink and nav. system, rear seat armrest on all models