Used 2003 Subaru Outback Base Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Subaru Outback - Consumer Reviews

2003 Subaru Outback Wagon

View reviews for a specific Outback model:

03 manual wagon
By PLARVO

2003 Subaru Outback Wagon AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

A fun car, with better than quoted fuel economy ( 23-24 mpg generally) very comfortable drive.

Favorite Features

Heated seats, electric seat adjustment very good sight lines, mirrors. Well designed interior

The worst mistake of my life
By Elizabeth

2003 Subaru Outback Wagon AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Second Subaru - both lemons. After 83,000 miles on the car (legacy Outback) and regular maintenance (no problems to date) the car needs over $4k worth of repairs. van Bortel, Victor NY - worst dealer ever - offered me $800 trade in. That's right, $800, even though Edmunds lists rough condition as worth about $4k in trade in. Yes, I bought the car there. van Bortel really knows how to treat their customers. I will never buy a Subaru again. Shame as I really wanted to like them.

Suggested Improvements

Every part costs $200. Lame.

So so....
By d.c.meyers

2003 Subaru Outback Wagon AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this used, with 9500 miles... the dealer failed to ensure proper alignment.. back in it went... biggest disappointment, the mileage, averaging about 20mpg, on PREMIUM gas... I was not forewarned that this 2.5l '4' would knock like crazy without higher octane gas... otherwise I would NOT have purchased... also had major piston repair, thank god for the extended warranty, almost 1800 bucks of damage... note that the car has been meticulously cared for...

Favorite Features

all wheel drive, relatively comfortable ride at all speeds... good steering feel..

Suggested Improvements

improved body integrity, finally subaru has gotten the message in losing the frameless windows... I've had repairs to the front 2 windows due to excessive wind noise and infiltration.... ugh!!!

Improve MPG and Wind Noise
By Curtis Culwell

2003 Subaru Outback Wagon AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased my Subaru used in 2004. I have been extremely pleased with its handling and performance. However, its mileage is abysmal. I got a SCAN II computer and began hypermiling last April, and started to see decent numbers (30-31+) but with a lot of effort. Then I noticed winter temps and (I've read) winter fuel mix REALLY brought numbers down, to around 23+. Also that wind noise is a nuisance. By just tapping the switch a bit I've achieved prompt, temporary relief. Buy this car for snow and ice, but for warmer climes, a lighter FWD car might be better.

Favorite Features

Performance, fun to drive.

Suggested Improvements

Improve MPG

Luv our sube!
By Drifter

2003 Subaru Outback Wagon AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Knock on wood, car has been good to us. 2.5 4-cyl has plenty of pop. I've found a good (ex) Subaru mechanic who has his own shop. I don't need him much. Passenger side CV joint boot let go @ 60,000 miles. You know when it's gone, grease drips on the cat and you can smell it burning. Its adjacent to the exh sys so heat breaks it down over time. My mechanic also says I can look fwd to head gasket leak @ 100k miles. This is because of the Boxer flat design, it stresses the head bolts. All in all, he says the 4 cyl is solid, but the 6 cyl is usually $$ trouble after 100k miles. Wind noise was an issue, common problem, he tweaked the front window corner piece with screw driver.

Favorite Features

Rear cargo room, lots of standard features, comfortable heated seats. Heated mirrors. Smooth engine and drive train. Wide wheel base is very stable.

Suggested Improvements

Not well suited to tall people (6'3") especially if back seat is down for cargo. Mileage is OK (avg 24), but no complaint, this is a solid and fairly heavy car.