2003 Subaru Outback Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Outback model:
03 manual wagon
By PLARVO on 10/08/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Subaru Outback Wagon AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

A fun car, with better than quoted fuel economy ( 23-24 mpg generally) very comfortable drive.

The worst mistake of my life
By Elizabeth on 08/09/10 17:47 PM (PDT)

2003 Subaru Outback Wagon AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Second Subaru - both lemons. After 83,000 miles on the car (legacy Outback) and regular maintenance (no problems to date) the car needs over $4k worth of repairs. van Bortel, Victor NY - worst dealer ever - offered me $800 trade in. That's right, $800, even though Edmunds lists rough condition as worth about $4k in trade in. Yes, I bought the car there. van Bortel really knows how to treat their customers. I will never buy a Subaru again. Shame as I really wanted to like them.

So so....
By d.c.meyers on 05/13/09 11:14 AM (PDT)

2003 Subaru Outback Wagon AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this used, with 9500 miles... the dealer failed to ensure proper alignment.. back in it went... biggest disappointment, the mileage, averaging about 20mpg, on PREMIUM gas... I was not forewarned that this 2.5l '4' would knock like crazy without higher octane gas... otherwise I would NOT have purchased... also had major piston repair, thank god for the extended warranty, almost 1800 bucks of damage... note that the car has been meticulously cared for...

Improve MPG and Wind Noise
By Curtis Culwell on 12/26/08 18:36 PM (PST)

2003 Subaru Outback Wagon AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased my Subaru used in 2004. I have been extremely pleased with its handling and performance. However, its mileage is abysmal. I got a SCAN II computer and began hypermiling last April, and started to see decent numbers (30-31+) but with a lot of effort. Then I noticed winter temps and (I've read) winter fuel mix REALLY brought numbers down, to around 23+. Also that wind noise is a nuisance. By just tapping the switch a bit I've achieved prompt, temporary relief. Buy this car for snow and ice, but for warmer climes, a lighter FWD car might be better.

Luv our sube!
By Drifter on 07/24/08 16:37 PM (PDT)

2003 Subaru Outback Wagon AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Knock on wood, car has been good to us. 2.5 4-cyl has plenty of pop. I've found a good (ex) Subaru mechanic who has his own shop. I don't need him much. Passenger side CV joint boot let go @ 60,000 miles. You know when it's gone, grease drips on the cat and you can smell it burning. Its adjacent to the exh sys so heat breaks it down over time. My mechanic also says I can look fwd to head gasket leak @ 100k miles. This is because of the Boxer flat design, it stresses the head bolts. All in all, he says the 4 cyl is solid, but the 6 cyl is usually $$ trouble after 100k miles. Wind noise was an issue, common problem, he tweaked the front window corner piece with screw driver.

More horses, please
By Jake on 04/17/08 16:34 PM (PDT)

2003 Subaru Outback Wagon AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

For such a heavy car, it is underpowered. However, for such a large vehicle, it drives wonderfully, handling like a sports car around turns with minimal understeer. At 76K miles, my head gaskets began to leak despite the fact that the car was always well cared for. Other than that, no mechanical problems. For 6'+, however, the car is cramped and overall interior design isn't as good as it could be. The stance is great for getting around in the snow or driving over small obstacles. For the price, the car has been great, but look into the H6 engine.

An honest car
By walkman on 03/07/08 13:08 PM (PST)

2003 Subaru Outback Wagon AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

This is a totally honest car, anything essential is generously equipped in the base modal. Those not found, they are bells and whistles. The roof rail has 4 bars (most others just have 2 bars, you will know the difference when you carry a bag or mattress on top). My wife feels fully confident and safe in it. Very stable on all kinds of road, no matter in snow, sleet, icy or wet. We enjoyed engine's humming sound on the high way when passing big trucks with speed well over 70mph. Thoughtful console design,leaving ample space for all the odds and ends. Downside is battery leak in the 3rd year. In its 5th year there is some wind noise developing at driver side.

Made for Minnesota
By car lover on 01/21/07 11:45 AM (PST)

2003 Subaru Outback Wagon AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I have test driven this car many times and when I finally moved north I bought a certified used one. I don't drive off road, so I just love this car so much that I'm going to buy a new one, the Legacy Wagon which is set up a little more for street driving. I used to have a Mercedes C230 Sport, and this car drives just like that. Can't wait for the new one, but at 43,000 miles, heated seats, and all the comforts I need, I can wait happily for a fair price before making the change. Kind of a cargo hauling-sports car- family-suv and more all purpose comfort car without the SUV pickup truck mileage. I get 25- 29mpg. I'll miss it, but not much has changed with the new ones.

I LOVE THIS CAR, best one I have ever had
By Patterson on 07/13/06 15:06 PM (PDT)

2003 Subaru Outback Wagon AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I never knew what it was like to LOVE a car until I got my wagon. I will probably never own another type of car but a Subaru Outback. It is the perfect size for about ANYTHING. It is reliable, is great for short or long trips. The gas mileage is good even with the rising costs. This is coming from someone that drives an hour each way to work everyday. So I spend TONS of time in my wagon.

Glad 2 B back in a Roo!
By linuxlooNH on 08/08/05 13:23 PM (PDT)

2003 Subaru Outback Wagon AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

After four years with a Saturn LW2/300, I decided to get back to Subaru for a variety of reasons. The biggest one is the reliability of the car. I had a '92 Loyale that I couldn't kill, but traded in for the Saturn. After various "issues" with that car, I decided to come back to Subaru. I bought the standard Outback Wagon with a 5 speed, my first! and just love it. Here in NH you need a good snow car. The Outback continually impresses my wife and I, not only in the foul weather, but on our short and long trips. Very little stops the car or us. It goes through every where we want to go. It loads up and cruises down the highway well. Being 6 foot 1 inch, I find I have just enough room behind the wheel.