2003 Subaru Outback Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Outback model:
03 outback 2.5L SOHC
By subie7 on 07/31/13 22:39 PM (PDT)

2003 Subaru Outback Sedan Limited AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

great car very reliable recommend changing the factory head gaskets their junk and upgrade them and youll never have the problem again ik i havent other than that the tranny and engine runs great havent had any other issues with the car other than minor stuff here and their like tube seals and blown dash light 10 yrs old so i thinks shes done me good still gets me from a - z fires up EVERYTIME one lesson i learned for anyone looking to do spark plugs though only run ngk plugs and wires amazing difference

Darn That Transmission
By duzduz on 08/10/10 11:12 AM (PDT)

2003 Subaru Outback Sedan Limited AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Overall I truly loved this car. Unfortunately the window noise everyone talks about came up for me around 30,000 miles but bigger than that, the transmission! Clunky from about 56,000 miles and finally bit the dust at 140,000. Come now, that's too early. I'm a very gentle driver, never accelerate too fast, and would certainly expect a better lifetime out of such a major (and EXPENSIVE) element of the car. Sounds like this is a trend with the 03 Outback :(

2nd Subaru, might be last
By Tim on 12/20/08 09:15 AM (PST)

2003 Subaru Outback Sedan Limited AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

My car was babied from day one. I upgraded to the Outback from a 2002 Impreza 2.5. I really enjoyed the car, until I started to notice a few sounds as I accelerated from toll booths, etc with my window still down. The dealers could never hear it. I noticed the transmission was always searching between 3rd and 4th gear. The wind noise has me going nuts. The paint has faded in different spots, and I am afraid to use the windshield wiper heater because when I replaced the cracked one, the replacements seem to have a defect with the heating element and it cracks the glass when used. I love Subarus, but my wife makes a good point when she says I need to stop buying someones bad design.

My wife's "tank" which she loves
By Firefighterjake on 11/06/07 08:05 AM (PST)

2003 Subaru Outback Sedan Limited AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

My wife is a nurse who has to drive 35 miles each way to and from work in all kinds of weather. Before she used a Nissan 4WD pick-up, which worked well, but it seemed a bit top heavy to her in the snow and was severely under-powered. She absolutely loves this Subaru as she says it powers through everything Mother Nature throws our way here in Maine. In fact she says it's a lot like driving a tank as it goes through anything with no issues. We've had no problems and honestly feel the 4-cylinders provide plenty of giddy-up and go for us.

satisfied customer
By satisfied customer on 05/26/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Subaru Outback Sedan Limited AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

this car is very comfy but the road noise is a bit to loud. this car is very reliable. the service at carr subaru is superb because they remember your name, face and what car you have. bad exterior design and interior because the seats wear out too fast. this car is to slow, should be able to hit 130 on an open road like a maxima