2003 Subaru Outback Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Outback model:
03 outback 2.5L SOHC
By subie7 on 07/31/13 22:39 PM (PDT)

2003 Subaru Outback Sedan Limited AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

great car very reliable recommend changing the factory head gaskets their junk and upgrade them and youll never have the problem again ik i havent other than that the tranny and engine runs great havent had any other issues with the car other than minor stuff here and their like tube seals and blown dash light 10 yrs old so i thinks shes done me good still gets me from a - z fires up EVERYTIME one lesson i learned for anyone looking to do spark plugs though only run ngk plugs and wires amazing difference

200,000 miles and counting!
By ak_girl on 06/17/13 22:48 PM (PDT)

2003 Subaru Outback Sedan VDC AWD Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car brand new in 2003. It has been problem free and reliable, I can honestly say this has been the best car I have ever owned. I would gladly buy another new 6 cylinder Subaru without a second thought.

Wife loves it
By Leo on 08/16/10 13:09 PM (PDT)

2003 Subaru Outback Sedan VDC AWD Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Purchased used 1 yr old. 120K miles on the car so far. Never had mechanical problems. Wife loves it. Replaced McIntosh head unit after warranty ran out with aftermarket radio (First time replaced under warranty). Auto transmission jerks when downshifts from 2 to 1 gear at stoplight. Dealer inspected, no issues found. Average 25 MPG mixed driving. Replacing front brake pads every 20K miles. Wind noise is annoying after 65MPH even with replaced window seals. Needs more luxury features for $30K vehicle. It was my second Subaru after I loved WRX but probably will not be buying again. Better choices available for the money.

Darn That Transmission
By duzduz on 08/10/10 11:12 AM (PDT)

2003 Subaru Outback Sedan Limited AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Overall I truly loved this car. Unfortunately the window noise everyone talks about came up for me around 30,000 miles but bigger than that, the transmission! Clunky from about 56,000 miles and finally bit the dust at 140,000. Come now, that's too early. I'm a very gentle driver, never accelerate too fast, and would certainly expect a better lifetime out of such a major (and EXPENSIVE) element of the car. Sounds like this is a trend with the 03 Outback :(

2nd Subaru, might be last
By Tim on 12/20/08 09:15 AM (PST)

2003 Subaru Outback Sedan Limited AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

My car was babied from day one. I upgraded to the Outback from a 2002 Impreza 2.5. I really enjoyed the car, until I started to notice a few sounds as I accelerated from toll booths, etc with my window still down. The dealers could never hear it. I noticed the transmission was always searching between 3rd and 4th gear. The wind noise has me going nuts. The paint has faded in different spots, and I am afraid to use the windshield wiper heater because when I replaced the cracked one, the replacements seem to have a defect with the heating element and it cracks the glass when used. I love Subarus, but my wife makes a good point when she says I need to stop buying someones bad design.

High mileage, still runs like new
By Snow shredder on 10/17/08 09:05 AM (PDT)

2003 Subaru Outback Sedan VDC AWD Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

No major mechanical problems. Routine stuff like brake calipers and pads but nothing major. Still is rock solid, lots of power (V6), great in the snow, slush and rain and fun to drive. Presently have goodyear assurance tripletred tires and recommend them on this car. All in all, still love the car.

My wife's "tank" which she loves
By Firefighterjake on 11/06/07 08:05 AM (PST)

2003 Subaru Outback Sedan Limited AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

My wife is a nurse who has to drive 35 miles each way to and from work in all kinds of weather. Before she used a Nissan 4WD pick-up, which worked well, but it seemed a bit top heavy to her in the snow and was severely under-powered. She absolutely loves this Subaru as she says it powers through everything Mother Nature throws our way here in Maine. In fact she says it's a lot like driving a tank as it goes through anything with no issues. We've had no problems and honestly feel the 4-cylinders provide plenty of giddy-up and go for us.

Great all climate car
By A Flyer on 03/15/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Subaru Outback Sedan H6-3.0 AWD 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This is our 5th Subaru and it is driven 60 miles round trip everyday and we use it to visit our daughters in Westchester and Fairfax counties every 3 to four weeks. This H6 is by far the best Subaru we've owned. The ride is very good, stable, responsive on the expressway and most of all reliable. An added plus is that it looks great. The car earned our confidence. Living in Rochester NY, we do get a lot of inclement weather; ice, snow, sleet, wind, etc. When that happens the Saab 9-5 stays in the garage and the Subaru becomes our workhorse. Can't say enought good things about the car.

Good Balance
By cb85 on 10/27/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Subaru Outback Sedan H6-3.0 AWD 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

H6-3.0 sedan is a nice balance between AWD utility, and 'near' luxury features. Smooth quiet ride, decent performance, rock-solid Subaru reliability, nice features like heated leather and sunroof, and most importantly, AWD for mid 20K is hard to beat.

Great Car
By J. Kenney on 10/21/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Subaru Outback Sedan VDC AWD Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Have had the car for about a year now, and other than gas, the only expenses have been for the regular oil changes. Incredibly reliable.