Used 2003 Subaru Outback Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Subaru Outback Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Outback model:

03 outback 2.5L SOHC
By subie7

2003 Subaru Outback Sedan Limited AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

great car very reliable recommend changing the factory head gaskets their junk and upgrade them and youll never have the problem again ik i havent other than that the tranny and engine runs great havent had any other issues with the car other than minor stuff here and their like tube seals and blown dash light 10 yrs old so i thinks shes done me good still gets me from a - z fires up EVERYTIME one lesson i learned for anyone looking to do spark plugs though only run ngk plugs and wires amazing difference

heated seats, fog lights, all weather package is amazing to have and the all wheel drive is incredible in snow yes this is my second outback and is running just as strong as my last

head gaskets and tube seals only ngk plugs and wires other than that run lucas oil stabalizer in it kept my last one going well over 250k with an automatic trans with also lucas stabalizer for trannys still ran when i sold it just wanted a newer model

200,000 miles and counting!
By ak_girl

2003 Subaru Outback Sedan VDC AWD Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car brand new in 2003. It has been problem free and reliable, I can honestly say this has been the best car I have ever owned. I would gladly buy another new 6 cylinder Subaru without a second thought.

I love the McIntosh stereo-Its awesome! the Onstar was also great when it was new-before GM aquired it. It drives and handles great in all weather conditions.

I wish it did not require premium fuel, since finding octane ratings higher than 90 in AK aren't common.

Wife loves it
By Leo

2003 Subaru Outback Sedan VDC AWD Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Purchased used 1 yr old. 120K miles on the car so far. Never had mechanical problems. Wife loves it. Replaced McIntosh head unit after warranty ran out with aftermarket radio (First time replaced under warranty). Auto transmission jerks when downshifts from 2 to 1 gear at stoplight. Dealer inspected, no issues found. Average 25 MPG mixed driving. Replacing front brake pads every 20K miles. Wind noise is annoying after 65MPH even with replaced window seals. Needs more luxury features for $30K vehicle. It was my second Subaru after I loved WRX but probably will not be buying again. Better choices available for the money.

Really quite engine, comfortable suspension, excellent reliability

Better transmission, outside noise isolation. Brake design, more luxury features.

Darn That Transmission
By duzduz

2003 Subaru Outback Sedan Limited AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Overall I truly loved this car. Unfortunately the window noise everyone talks about came up for me around 30,000 miles but bigger than that, the transmission! Clunky from about 56,000 miles and finally bit the dust at 140,000. Come now, that's too early. I'm a very gentle driver, never accelerate too fast, and would certainly expect a better lifetime out of such a major (and EXPENSIVE) element of the car. Sounds like this is a trend with the 03 Outback :(

AWD, feels like a sports car, clearance.

headroom! I'm 6' 2" and my head grazes the roof. Transmission for obvious reasons. windows were fixed in later models. fuel economy.

2nd Subaru, might be last
By Tim

2003 Subaru Outback Sedan Limited AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

My car was babied from day one. I upgraded to the Outback from a 2002 Impreza 2.5. I really enjoyed the car, until I started to notice a few sounds as I accelerated from toll booths, etc with my window still down. The dealers could never hear it. I noticed the transmission was always searching between 3rd and 4th gear. The wind noise has me going nuts. The paint has faded in different spots, and I am afraid to use the windshield wiper heater because when I replaced the cracked one, the replacements seem to have a defect with the heating element and it cracks the glass when used. I love Subarus, but my wife makes a good point when she says I need to stop buying someones bad design.

All wheel drive, heated seats, moonroof, vehicle looks

more powerful climate system, better paint.