2003 Subaru Outback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Outback model:
Its taken me to the moon..now I want to come back
By gowest2 on 02/04/14 04:52 AM (PST)

2003 Subaru Outback H6-3.0 AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Ok. So I am a died in the wool subaru fan but will make no bones about the fact that the H4 (2.5 liter models during these years and current models) have a BOATLOAD of head gasket problems. Their failure rate is very high. I happen to be lucky enough to have the 3.0 H6. I have just about 270k now and it still runs great and burns no oil. I maintain it well and do all the maintenance repairs myself. Have had no major repairs as of yet.

Guess I got the lemon
By Jane on 10/30/09 21:53 PM (PDT)

2003 Subaru Outback H6-3.0 AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Immediately post-purchase, I noticed the car hesitated on acceleration & had slow & clunky gear shifting. I was told that was just "the boxer engine"?! The car chews thru the brakes - been replaced & repaired every year. Wind noise has been a constant irritation & I can't read stereo settings on bright days due to glare. Today, I was told that the head gasket is blown and the brake pads are gone again. In spite of having routine maintenance, this 6 year old car has had a long history of expensive repair, gets poor mileage & requires more expensive gas. I would never buy another Subaru but from others' revus, clearly I'm in the minority?! Must have been the lemon?!

Reliable
By Sorin on 07/18/09 03:52 AM (PDT)

2003 Subaru Outback H6-3.0 AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought it brand new and now I have 140.000 on it. Drives like the first day. Have not had ANY engine/transmission problems. Wasted money on extended warranty. Did oil change myself, fuel filter only changed a couple a times, transmission fluid drained twice, Serp belt went at 100K. Changed spark plugs (major pain, buried deep) at 100K, looked like new. VERY reliable in all kinds of weather. Cons: wind noise (only if you want to drive above 80, and then I guess it's a good thing, it keeps you alert). Not enough leg room. Those who think a 6 cylinder will accelerate faster forget about it, it doesn't, because it's heavier. It is friendly, though, once you get to know it.

bad choice
By walter on 04/26/08 16:08 PM (PDT)

2003 Subaru Outback H6-3.0 AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I think it was my fault buying this car, because my wife needed a wagon or something really fast because she needed it for commuting to work. Suvs were out of the question, but now we feel guilty because anything is better than this junk car. Forget about going on vacation because there is TOO MUCH WIND NOISE!!!! Its almost like having a separate stereo system, one for the radio, and one for the noisiness of the car. You won't get stopped because people love the way it looks because it is ugly, especially the '03 model. We are hoping to trade in the Subaru before it depreciates.

Belongs in the junkyard!!!
By eva on 07/31/07 04:56 AM (PDT)

2003 Subaru Outback H6-3.0 AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

My wife was talked into this car when she bought it. We wanted a safe and affordable wagon, but that doesn't mean subaru is a great car either!!! The exterior is disgusting, and wind noise is terrible. I can barely hear people talking! It accelerates like a donkey. Don't buy this car.

Best car I ever owned in 50 years
By panda on 03/31/06 21:46 PM (PST)

2003 Subaru Outback H6-3.0 AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Solid road car. Great engine, quiet, very good handling, brakes and steering wheel response. Great road shock absorption. Transmission very smooth. The car is tight at the shoulders and could be a little wider. The steering wheel needs to be adjusted higher to clear my knees.

Ultimate Utility Car
By Dave on 08/15/05 21:25 PM (PDT)

2003 Subaru Outback H6-3.0 AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This is our second Outback, the first was a 2001 but in the basic package. The VDC edition is simply an extremely well designed and built car. Put an aggressive tire on it and you can get any where you need to go in any weather. Handling is surprisingly sport like and has enough power to make driving fun, we trailer an atv with it. Decked out with all the bells and whistles.

" On Star " Analog To Digital
By 2003 Subaru Outback on 08/06/05 00:35 AM (PDT)

2003 Subaru Outback H6-3.0 AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Other than the up-coming change in 2 1/2 years for the OnStar system, from analog to digital, the car has been all I have ever expected out of it and more. I have mine serviced every 2,500 miles, and if I find something wrong, I have it repaired while it is still nickel dime, before it reaches quarter half dollar condition.

Love My Subaru
By SCB on 08/14/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Subaru Outback H6-3.0 AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

We just traded in our Dodge MiniVan for the Subaru Outback. We have two children and I did not think we needed another van but I wanted to have room and we take car trips often so comfort was one of my big factors. We have not taken a car trip with it yet, but I know we will not have a problem. I also wanted the AWD and of course the bigger engine. I have always heard great things about the outback and that it had all the safety features to make you feel good with having small children in it. The child seat anchors are a plus.

New H6 Wagon Model
By tigerspy on 08/06/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Subaru Outback H6-3.0 AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

ItÂ’s about time Subaru came out with a base model Outback with the H6 engine! This car is a mid year model for 2003 and is basically a base model with the H6 engine, auto climate control, auto dimming mirror and a few extra items that don't come standard on the base model. The H6 engine is extremely smooth and quiet. It's mated with a 4-speed which has rather wide and tall gearing, but IMHO acceleration still remains smooth and quick. Subaru has priced this model very reasonably (thousands less than the LL Bean or VDC models and only a few hundred bucks more than the Limited model).