Used 2003 Subaru Outback Base Consumer Reviews - 27 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Subaru Outback - Consumer Reviews

2003 Subaru Outback

View reviews for a specific Outback model:

Just a great car. 175k miles and going strong.
By BrewCar

2003 Subaru Outback AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Owned for 10 years, now at 175k miles. It loves the rain and snow... this AWD beast is simply unstoppable no matter the weather. In the winter, I put on Blizzak WS-70's, and it just sticks to the road (snow/slush/ice, bring it!). Driver position on wet freeways is like Goldilocks, just right, and you're above the tire spray. I'm now spoiled with having seat heaters, fog lamps, and wiper defrost. Power has always been fine - I didn't buy it to be a muscle car. Only problems have been occasional oil leaks - valve cover, then oil pan seal. The brakes need changing about every 15 months, but it only takes about 20 minutes per axle and is dirt simple (yay disc brakes!!!). A bit of wind noise at freeway speeds, but some window seal restorer helps. I've now handed her off to a college bound kid without worry; I'm certain this ride has at least another 125k miles in her. My only real complaint was that I stayed with the stock speakers for the first 5 years - what a difference aftermarket makes!

03 manual wagon
By PLARVO

2003 Subaru Outback AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

A fun car, with better than quoted fuel economy ( 23-24 mpg generally) very comfortable drive.

Heated seats, electric seat adjustment very good sight lines, mirrors. Well designed interior

The worst mistake of my life
By Elizabeth

2003 Subaru Outback AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Second Subaru - both lemons. After 83,000 miles on the car (legacy Outback) and regular maintenance (no problems to date) the car needs over $4k worth of repairs. van Bortel, Victor NY - worst dealer ever - offered me $800 trade in. That's right, $800, even though Edmunds lists rough condition as worth about $4k in trade in. Yes, I bought the car there. van Bortel really knows how to treat their customers. I will never buy a Subaru again. Shame as I really wanted to like them.

Every part costs $200. Lame.

So so....
By d.c.meyers

2003 Subaru Outback AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this used, with 9500 miles... the dealer failed to ensure proper alignment.. back in it went... biggest disappointment, the mileage, averaging about 20mpg, on PREMIUM gas... I was not forewarned that this 2.5l '4' would knock like crazy without higher octane gas... otherwise I would NOT have purchased... also had major piston repair, thank god for the extended warranty, almost 1800 bucks of damage... note that the car has been meticulously cared for...

all wheel drive, relatively comfortable ride at all speeds... good steering feel..

improved body integrity, finally subaru has gotten the message in losing the frameless windows... I've had repairs to the front 2 windows due to excessive wind noise and infiltration.... ugh!!!

Improve MPG and Wind Noise
By Curtis Culwell

2003 Subaru Outback AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased my Subaru used in 2004. I have been extremely pleased with its handling and performance. However, its mileage is abysmal. I got a SCAN II computer and began hypermiling last April, and started to see decent numbers (30-31+) but with a lot of effort. Then I noticed winter temps and (I've read) winter fuel mix REALLY brought numbers down, to around 23+. Also that wind noise is a nuisance. By just tapping the switch a bit I've achieved prompt, temporary relief. Buy this car for snow and ice, but for warmer climes, a lighter FWD car might be better.

Performance, fun to drive.

Improve MPG