2003 Subaru Outback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Outback model:
Can't You Hear Me Knocking..
By USMercury on 06/30/08 07:18 AM (PDT)

2003 Subaru Outback VDC AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

First thing I noticed was the knocking of the engine, which they say is typical due to engine design. The knocking was unbearable, which they ultimately fixed. Knocking started to come back, but I just sold it, so it will be taken care of next by someone other than me. As with most reviews, lots of wind noise. The wind noise is to the point where you have to turn the radio up. I went from a 6 cyl to this 4 cyl to save on gas, but to tell you the truth, it got awful gas mileage. Came with a broken 6 CD changer. Minimal acceleration in this vehicle. Started making another noise, like a rattle or shaking sound. But, itÂ’s gone, so fortunately not my problem now.

Subaru Stalls
By John Sauer on 11/29/05 13:59 PM (PST)

2003 Subaru Outback VDC AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Almost from the day I took my Subaru home I have had problems. The car has poor and erratic idle, loses power while driving and stalls. Subaru (several dealerships) has attempted repairs, replacing MANY parts, over the three years I have had this car. Each time the problems resurface. Low idle, power loss, stalling at stops. I am past my 36,000 warranty and Subaru has committed to honor the warranty for existing problems, but that is little consolation as I have to continue living with a $32,000 car that I do not trust. On more than one occasion I was almost stranded on long trips with wife and baby.

Montana
By valken on 12/17/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Subaru Outback VDC AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Great handling, good ride. I like everything about it except that it seems it sometimes takes too long to shift from 2nd to 3rd gear.

VDC wagon - underestimated sleeper
By willoc on 07/18/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Subaru Outback VDC AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I'm going on two months with the car and enjoying every drive. McIntosh audio is much better than the Bose system I had in my previous Infiniti. Soundproofing is excellent, this car has TRACTION you can't even break the tires loose on full throttle and it accelerates pretty well considering its weight (3800+ lbs). Has a very solid, safe feel. If you are getting out of an SUV like I did, you will find this car every bit as capable as an SUV yet handles like a car and I just got 26 mpg on a road trip. awesome !!

A Fantasic Car
By alinki on 05/12/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Subaru Outback VDC AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This car has everything . It is one fine auto.

grrrreat
By owen on 05/10/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Subaru Outback VDC AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I love this wagon,every thing about it is great.Quick and responsive,quiet and comfortable with a wonderful sound system to boot.Plenty of cargo room for almost everything you may have to carry including the dog.I would reccomend it to anyone

VDC good enough?
By RACCAR on 04/01/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Subaru Outback VDC AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I really love this car. A 2001 VDC wagon. Handles to well in all weather. I tried to get it stuck in snow this winter. Couldnt. Great at high speeds. The VDC works better than the reviews suggest. However, my wife wants me to find another car. She cant get comfortable in the leather seats. I agree. They are hard as rock, and a car upholsterer says he cant improve it. Dealer said its the only real flaw with the car. We take long week end trips, and this really is an issue.

50 hp more & $5k less it'd be the best
By DaveB on 01/23/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Subaru Outback VDC AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

3rd subaru for me and everyone a winner. for solid reliable transport with tons of comfort and convenience features you can't go wrong. I paid $31K for my VDC wgn and happily did so even though it was too much for a subie. still i knew what subarus are all about & i was getting a 6 cyl, VDC, 2 sunroofs and the macintosh stereo plus heated seats etc etc..A Volvo XC/Audi Allroad for way less but now the A4 and Passat wgn are all over it for price hence my title. Turbo this motor and we'd have a world beating winner.

50 hp more & $5k less it'd be the best
By daveB on 01/23/03 00:00 AM (PST)