2003 Subaru Outback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Outback model:
Very Solid Car
By Skinney on 09/04/09 07:14 AM (PDT)

2003 Subaru Outback L.L. Bean Edition AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This has been a great car for me, I've put on almost 100,000 miles. Now have 122,000 and the car is still running strong. I haven't had any issues except with the door/window moldings, which lead to the wind noise everyone talks about. Two were replaced by dealer, one for free after warranty ran out (thanks Subaru!), and one more that needs fixing. Transmission "pops" when it downshifs from 4th to 3rd but has not created any issues except annoyance. Mileage is not bad considering the weight of car and full time AWD. I average 18-20 for everyday driving and get from 24-26 on the highway (with the H6-3.0) and I don't drive lightly. Out performs many trucks/SUV's in 12"+ snow in the mountains.

OMG OMG Giddy I am
By BURU CUBBY on 05/25/09 07:48 AM (PDT)

2003 Subaru Outback L.L. Bean Edition AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Got this 02/09. I can only say OMG! Never had a Subaru before... I got 2 independent mechanics I keep, they said GET IT. It's a steal!! Had 79986 on it, 1 owner, is fave color green, it's got things I didn't think a car would dare have. I need it for the Chicago winters!! I'm in luuuvv!! I can NEVER drive an American made car again. Love passing by storefronts with windows & seeing it. I'm still in awe. The dual sunroofs are the bomb!! From what I hear these things just don't break down. I need that security driving alone a lot. The salesman thought I was gonna pass out from jumping around when he showed it to me (0: My Buru is all I could ever ask for. Everything is a perfect 10!!

It's been really good to me
By Velella on 11/22/08 10:33 AM (PST)

2003 Subaru Outback L.L. Bean Edition AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I am at 167,000 miles with synthetic oil and it is still clear and engine is going strong. Average 22 MPG in Los Angeles with mixed freeway and street and some offroad. Only failure was an air conditioning hose. Michelin Hydroedge replacements went 105,000 miles. The interior shows little wear and leather seats are still in great shape. Put on new tires and intend to keep it going until it dies... and then I might rebuild the motor and keep on.

I love my car
By i can has car on 07/02/08 18:09 PM (PDT)

2003 Subaru Outback L.L. Bean Edition AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I have only had my Subaru for about 2 months but I have fallen in love with it. I'm only 16 years old, and it isn't exactly the coolest looking car, but it is fun to drive, pretty fast, and the double sunroofs are great. It has been the most reliable car I have ever experienced. The AWD has saved me a few times. But I mostly use it to go around turns way too fast.

Lives up its reputation
By TP on 02/01/07 19:29 PM (PST)

2003 Subaru Outback L.L. Bean Edition AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Very pleased with my Outback LL Bean H6 Wagon. Although it produces annoying wind noise (apparently a Subaru trait), and can use a five speed auto transmission to move it up hills easier, the H6 is very smooth and moves well on the highway. I find it enjoyable and fun to drive. It handles well, and I like the ride. The posi rear hinders the performance in snow as compared to non-posi Subarus, but you still feel secure. My brother's had 7 Subarus and talked me into buying this one. I'm glad he did. It was between this and the 4Motion VW Passat Wagon, but after talking to former and current VW owners, and reading that the VW's reliability reviews were horrific, it was an easy decision.

overall great vehicle
By Light on 11/14/06 10:28 AM (PST)

2003 Subaru Outback L.L. Bean Edition AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Subaru has proven again to be a terrific car in all the most important levels. Interior design is still in the works (this being our second Outback over the last six years). The driving safety and ease we rate the highest. This car has prevented accidents and is a great bad weather car. We take it off road and it is amazing. It is easy to maintain and has been totally reliable. We love the looks and feel of our Legacy Outback. We will remain loyal Subaru owners. The driver's and forward passenger windows are noisy(wind type noise), with was the case with our first Subaru also. They maybe able to be adjusted. Other than that, we are totally and utterly happy with this car

Like my Outback
By J. Coulter on 07/21/06 10:44 AM (PDT)

2003 Subaru Outback L.L. Bean Edition AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I have been really pleased with my Outback in general. The only problem I have had with driving it is going up moderate hills. A lot of my driving takes place in the lower Sierra foothills, usually less that 1200 ft, and the car seems reluctant to climb even small grades, at one point, even bucking a bit. The dealer told me I was lucky I had a 6 cylinder. and that Subarus didn't like hills. Structurally, it is made with a kind of depression in the lower part of each front door. A number of people have pointed out to me that I have been "hit." Looked that way to me too, before I realized that the car was that way on both sides.

Love it
By Bean Owner on 04/05/05 20:56 PM (PDT)

2003 Subaru Outback L.L. Bean Edition AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Wonderful vehicle, great clearance, handling, braking, etc. Sound system with a sub is great, no need to purchase high end replacement speakers. Heats up fast in the cold weather. AWD can't be beat. Gas mileage is more like 20-22 mpg. No way you can get 26 mpg like stated by Subaru. All around a great buy worth every cent. You'd pay 10k more for anything comparable. Love it

SOLID PERFORMANCE
By RSP on 02/20/05 15:36 PM (PST)

2003 Subaru Outback L.L. Bean Edition AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

After two years, no problems. Runs great through the snow and bad weather.

OUTBACK
By DDXER on 02/05/05 19:51 PM (PST)

2003 Subaru Outback L.L. Bean Edition AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

After two years, no problems. It is the best "snow" car I have ever driven. Tracks solid in all weather conditions. Window and mirros defoggers make driving in bad weather a breeze.