Used 2003 Subaru Outback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Subaru Outback - Consumer Reviews

2003 Subaru Outback

View reviews for a specific Outback model:

Wow, where do I start?
By jillreyna

2003 Subaru Outback H6-3.0 AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I have a 2003 H6 V3.0 with just 119,000 miles on it. It is hard to put this car and "reliable" together in the same sentence, not to mention that dealers in my area do not stock many parts for it. Averaging around $450+ per simple repair, after shopping around some. I would buy any other Subaru, but any reader who finds this a good car value is welcome to make me an offer. One-owner Arizona vehicle, driven by senior person. Maintained to point of exhaustion.

Favorite Features

Good visibility, reasonably good interior space.

Suggested Improvements

Improve front passenger seat comfort, reduce wind and road noise. Supply dedicated mechanic with vehicle.

The Best as long as its an H6
By rberkhei

2003 Subaru Outback L.L. Bean Edition AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Subaru has long been the go-to for reliability and dependability for those who know of it. Perhaps these vehicles are the best kept secret or perhaps I'm the only one who needs a car monday-friday and a capable awd vehicle with ground clearance which can hold two kayaks and go anywhere in all weather conditions on the weekends. Set aside its diversity, these vehicles are incredibly safe and undoubtedly reliable. Add in heated leather seats, dual sunroof, premium sound, de-icing wiper blades, the torque of the 6-cyl engine coupled with the handling and some all weather mats, this granny wagon is capable of anything and loves a rough stretch of road! 220k miles and counting.

Suggested Improvements

Some knarley looking tow hooks would be awesome! I love pulling f250's out of ditches when traveling to work in 4+ inches of snow.

Its taken me to the moon..now I want to come back
By gowest2

2003 Subaru Outback H6-3.0 AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Ok. So I am a died in the wool subaru fan but will make no bones about the fact that the H4 (2.5 liter models during these years and current models) have a BOATLOAD of head gasket problems. Their failure rate is very high. I happen to be lucky enough to have the 3.0 H6. I have just about 270k now and it still runs great and burns no oil. I maintain it well and do all the maintenance repairs myself. Have had no major repairs as of yet.

Favorite Features

Pros: The damn thing costs me pennies to drive when I really do the math..cuz it simply just keeps tickin. The awd is on par with other world class systems such as audi. With snow tires I cannot suggest a better car to drive in snow/ice conditions. Handles very well for a wagon. Oh...yeah..and it's a wagon! I still don't understand why Americans don't like wagons for the most part. Call me crazy...I love em! Overall I'd but another one tomorrow if I have too. I just hope the new 3.6 H6 is as reliable as this one!

Suggested Improvements

Cons: Very cramped. Not a great car to stretch out in. Wind noise from the flawed mirror design. Marginal mpg (around 20 around town). The ABS system sucks with this car. I had to disable mine as I would simply rather not have it than have a poorly working system. Maybe the new models have these issues fixes...I hope.

03 outback 2.5L SOHC
By subie7

2003 Subaru Outback Limited AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

great car very reliable recommend changing the factory head gaskets their junk and upgrade them and youll never have the problem again ik i havent other than that the tranny and engine runs great havent had any other issues with the car other than minor stuff here and their like tube seals and blown dash light 10 yrs old so i thinks shes done me good still gets me from a - z fires up EVERYTIME one lesson i learned for anyone looking to do spark plugs though only run ngk plugs and wires amazing difference

Favorite Features

heated seats, fog lights, all weather package is amazing to have and the all wheel drive is incredible in snow yes this is my second outback and is running just as strong as my last

Suggested Improvements

head gaskets and tube seals only ngk plugs and wires other than that run lucas oil stabalizer in it kept my last one going well over 250k with an automatic trans with also lucas stabalizer for trannys still ran when i sold it just wanted a newer model

A Lesson Learned The Hard Way
By machineryman

2003 Subaru Outback AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my Outback two years ago with 115,000 miles on it. In over 200 cars that I've owned I've never owned an Outback, but everyone that I talked to that had one loved it. This car ranks as one of the 3 worst cars that I've owned. It's the only car that I've owned that would break just sitting in the driveway. It's been a real money pit. With the chronic head gasket problems I'm surprised that anyone buys these. I sure wish that I had researched it before I bought. This was definately an expensive lesson learned the hard way.

Favorite Features

All wheel drive

Suggested Improvements

Either fix the head gasket problems or guarantee the head gaskets for the life of the vehicle