2003 Subaru Outback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Outback model:
Its taken me to the moon..now I want to come back
By gowest2 on 02/04/14 04:52 AM (PST)

2003 Subaru Outback H6-3.0 AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Ok. So I am a died in the wool subaru fan but will make no bones about the fact that the H4 (2.5 liter models during these years and current models) have a BOATLOAD of head gasket problems. Their failure rate is very high. I happen to be lucky enough to have the 3.0 H6. I have just about 270k now and it still runs great and burns no oil. I maintain it well and do all the maintenance repairs myself. Have had no major repairs as of yet.

03 outback 2.5L SOHC
By subie7 on 07/31/13 22:39 PM (PDT)

2003 Subaru Outback Limited AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

great car very reliable recommend changing the factory head gaskets their junk and upgrade them and youll never have the problem again ik i havent other than that the tranny and engine runs great havent had any other issues with the car other than minor stuff here and their like tube seals and blown dash light 10 yrs old so i thinks shes done me good still gets me from a - z fires up EVERYTIME one lesson i learned for anyone looking to do spark plugs though only run ngk plugs and wires amazing difference

A Lesson Learned The Hard Way
By machineryman on 07/29/13 09:43 AM (PDT)

2003 Subaru Outback AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my Outback two years ago with 115,000 miles on it. In over 200 cars that I've owned I've never owned an Outback, but everyone that I talked to that had one loved it. This car ranks as one of the 3 worst cars that I've owned. It's the only car that I've owned that would break just sitting in the driveway. It's been a real money pit. With the chronic head gasket problems I'm surprised that anyone buys these. I sure wish that I had researched it before I bought. This was definately an expensive lesson learned the hard way.

200,000 miles and counting!
By ak_girl on 06/17/13 22:48 PM (PDT)

2003 Subaru Outback VDC AWD Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car brand new in 2003. It has been problem free and reliable, I can honestly say this has been the best car I have ever owned. I would gladly buy another new 6 cylinder Subaru without a second thought.

I may have been unlucky but this thing was hardly reliable
By jamespeaut on 02/27/13 13:05 PM (PST)

2003 Subaru Outback Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Bought car used at 140k (as such this could reflect the previous owner's handling of it.) Week 1: Head Gasket, Oxygen filter, timing belt, Radiator leak Week 4: New Tires, New brakes, CV Joints, Bent Axis joint, oil leak Current: Week 8: Headlight electrical system failure. Paid: 4,500 for car. Repair bill: 5000 I may have bought a bum car but I'm really not impressed with the outback--It's hardly been reliable or cost effective. Even as a temporary commuter car (I bicycle for most of my work) it's cost me a chunk of change. I really wish I had stuck with my old Honda CRV Cons: Gas mileage in cities loud noise from exterior Bumpy ride From what I've experienced, unreliable

Nice car, be good to it and will probably be good to you.
By ramborob79 on 02/11/13 14:13 PM (PST)

2003 Subaru Outback AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

We have owned this car for about 5 years,bought the car with 60k and have put a little over 100k on it. The car has been quite an investment to buy and service but has never left us stranded.Head gaskets were replaced shortly after purchase under warranty and have been fine since. I was told subarus can be considered a specialty vehicle and I agree as they are built different than a lot of cars. Still starts right up,shifts smoothly,rides nice. If you are hard on your vehicle and used to putting very little money into it in the meantime, probably not for you.

Big Dissapointment
By pjgelao on 10/10/12 07:16 AM (PDT)

2003 Subaru Outback AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I purchased this car new and have had nothing but COST. At 36,000 it had a leaking head and it was pulled out and fixed, then it was the timing belt at 50,00 miles. Something wrong with it all the time. At 77,000 BOTH heads was leaking again & pulled resurfaced. Heater not working & fixed. When contacting SUBRAU they wanted all servicing recordss. I got the packet together of services & plus ALL fixes.. We waited A MONTH- called many times. My hubby called them and They wouldnt do a thing for me !!! One statement why was I didnt have the car serviced all the time from a Subrau dealer - we were very upset and never a SUBRAU again!

A word of warning...
By abgra on 03/29/12 09:39 AM (PDT)

2003 Subaru Outback AWD 4dr Wagon w/Premium Audio System (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I LOVED this car when I first got it. I live in Montana, so the AWD and heated seats were perfect. However, I quickly realized this car is was a lemon. I poured thousands into this car before I finally traded it in for a Civic, only to find out the dealership forked out $3000 to fix the head gasket, water pump, timing belt (that was only a year old), air conditioner, and front brakes that I replaced a year before as well. A local Subaru mechanic said that there is a factory defect in these and he rebuilds about three a week. If you insist on buying this car, make sure you have a Subaru specialist go over the engine with a fine-tooth comb.

WHAT A MONEY PIT!! TOO BAD :(
By mom0f3 on 01/26/11 08:18 AM (PST)

2003 Subaru Outback AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Beautiful car, roomy enough for transporting my children. Paint job is still brilliant and the car looks newer than it is. I really considered buying a newer outback, however at 70,000 miles, one thing has broken after another. First the wiper hose, then the wiper motor, head gaskets replaced, water pump and now the transmission is shot. I have put 3K into the car in the past 6 months. Thank goodness the transmission is still under warranty. I just wonder what is next to go. Too bad because I really liked driving my outback.

Honest review
By joewildlife on 01/16/11 08:05 AM (PST)

2003 Subaru Outback AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

We bought this rental car with 12K on it. wife drove it until it had about 90K on it then I started driving it. Only cons are its size--I'm 6' and this is a car that sits low to the ground. I'd rather have a SUV. Pros: reliability. NEVER a breakdown in 100K miles. Pre 100K repairs limited to brake pads, one O2 sensor, one tie rod end. Original tires lasted over 80K miles. At 100K I've had to do several repairs that would be expensive if you had to pay labor--AC hose, steering rack and CV boots. 105K timing belt change coming and will cost a bunch. Has typical subaru motor sound, but this car is going to run forever.