2002 Subaru Outback Consumer Review: Wanting to Love My Car

2002 Subaru Outback - Consumer Review

Wanting to Love My Car
By alyonsd on

2002 Subaru Outback AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I did a lot of research and test drove many cars before settling on the Outback. I liked the reputation Subaru had and the smoothness of the ride was very important for me with some medical issues. The Forester was a little too rough. I took great care of it but brakes went at 30K. Trunk cover/shade broke at 60K despite being gentle and not used much. Headgasket went at 90K. Catalytic converter went at 106K. I'm done now with Subaru, as much as I want to believe in them. I spoke with my mechanic about them and he said his experience is that they are either great for you and last, or you end up with one that's not up to par.I'm in the later. Sadly, I think this is my last Subaru.

Nice ride, decent mileage, good in the snow, storage aspect. Great for active people.

Reliability and parts. I've had to put too much money into it. I had planned on keeping it to 200K but it's not worth it with my particular car. Good luck with yours! My fingers are crossed!