2002 Subaru Outback Consumer Review: Reliability of McIntosh Stereo

2002 Subaru Outback Wagon - Consumer Review

Reliability of McIntosh Stereo
By jcborgeson on

2002 Subaru Outback VDC AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This is my first Subaru. Great highway cruiser, very quiet. I am puzzled by the reviews that complain of wind noise. Itís quieter than my Jag XJR. I've measured with a sound meter to confirm. Reliability is good with 20,400 miles. Service has been excellent. The one problem has been the McIntosh stereo. We are on our third, waiting for the fourth. The system sounds great but reliability is awful. I've been told that it is really a Clarion head with McIntosh trim. On the plus side, the AWD system is superb, far better than the Volvo XC70 it replaces. I have been pretty amazed at the slop, ice and snow this car can move through safely.

Quiet highway cruiser. Great access to all vehicle spaces. Dual moonroof/sunroof configuration. Plastic cladding on body sides will not show rust in 10 years. Huge winshield washer resevoir. Great service from dealer.

Dump the McIntosh stereo. Add a 5 speed transmission. Allow the fog lights to come on without having the headlights on also.