2002 Subaru Outback Consumer Review: plenty of thought and researc

2002 Subaru Outback - Consumer Review

L.L. Bean Edition Wagon (3.0L 6-cyl. AWD 4-speed Automatic)

plenty of thought and research
By funky dawg on

2002 Subaru Outback L.L. Bean Edition AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I like Subarus and even sold them. I've seen hundreds of new and used Subies. I love the LL BEAN. My needs were sport-luxury, utility type of car (I already have an SUV). Subaru can make some quirky decisions/designs in different makes/models. The LL BEAN'S are below. Subaru should take a step back (better yet, hire me as a consultant) and centralize all like functions to the same locations. The HO6 is great for the Outbacks. Stereo system is above average. The climate control is effective but can have a mind of it's own. I've gotten 21 mpg avg. It's smart, comfortable, stylish, reliable and fun to drive.

Favorite Features

Great looks, AWD, ABS, smooth engine and handling. Dual trip odo. Sound system. Auto dimming rearview and grocery bag hooks. Wiper/mirror de- icer. Solid feel at high speed. (115+ many times) Steering wheel and interior are a nice touch as well. Great service from Shortline in CO.

Suggested Improvements

Tran sluggish. Dr door & dash ergo. Dual roof dials like VWs. Rearview mirror reduces view. Int/Ext temp at a glance. More status on dash & steering wheel controls. CD shuffle, more resets. Seat memory-heater switches. Wind noise/rattles. Keyless poor. Add power port & storage-front.