2002 Subaru Outback Consumer Review: Head gasket nightmare

2002 Subaru Outback - Consumer Review

Head gasket nightmare
By speedballjet on

2002 Subaru Outback AWD 4dr Wagon w/Weather Pkg (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I purchased my 2002 Outback new 2/2002. During warranty, the automatic seat broke & would no longer adjust for height. It was fixed free of charge. Soon after warranty expired, the same problem. I've never fixed it because the cost is over $600-- ridiculous. I've only got 65,000 miles, just put new tires on the car, and my mechanic informs me that I have an oil leak and need head gaskets replaced. He showed me a Subaru Service Bulletin which extended the warranty to 8 yrs and 100,000 miles if vehicle leaking coolant. Long story short, even though I wasn't yet leaking coolant, Subaru agreed to pay for 1/2 cost including head gaskets, water pump, and seals. Cost to me $800. I still love the car.

I love the heated seats. Love the versatility. Back seat sits higher than front so viewing is extra good for rear seat passengers. Excellent audio system w/CD and 6 speakers.

Fix the front seat so it operated like its supposed to. Fix the head gasket problem or I'm not buying a Subaru again.
By flyinghog
on 03/18/11 13:56 PM (PDT)

same vehicle only 162k miles. estimated repair by one subaru dealership was ~$1500 for the left side head gasket. how'd you get subaru to pay for half and parts?