2002 Subaru Outback Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Outback model:
So-So performance, scary clutch
By clutchless on 05/23/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Subaru Outback Wagon Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Shortly after purchase has problems getting clutch into 1st/2nd gear. Bad chattering. Tough to drive in stop and go traffic. Clutch shudder made it unreliable busy intersections were getting scary. Dealer where purchased "could not duplicate" denied any problems. Was able to get another dealer to replace clutch assembly. HUGE improvement immediately but problem began again about 12k later. New dealer not that interested to replace again. Worsening clutch and warranty period approaching I traded in for an automatic Forester. Feel like I lost $, and Had to trade down to get rid of t

Faulty Clutch
By moohoggle on 04/28/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Subaru Outback Wagon Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

2 months after taking delivery of this Outback, the clutch began to chatter badly in 1st gear (less than 2000 miles). My wife and I took it back to the dealer where we bought the car from 3 times, and each time they said that this is a normal condition with manual transmission Subarus. We pursued a second opinion at another Subaru dealership and they agreed, that this was indeed, not normal. We then opened a case number with Subaru Corp., and it took 8 months to re-engineer and manufacture the replacement parts (was initially told it would take 4 weeks). It's been 3 weeks since our car was fixed under warranty and for now, it's tolerable.

2002 Outback wagon
By nhs275 on 04/23/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Subaru Outback Wagon AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Car performance in snow/ice is great. Car has poor passing/climbing performance. WAY too much wind and road noise at freeway speeds.

Great wagon
By vivatahoe on 04/15/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Subaru Outback Wagon Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I've had an SUV, traded in for the wagon and I really am impressed. On the freeway, 70mph to 100mph is way too easy to reach in my 5 speed tranny and seems effortless. The best part is the AWD system in the snow! No more snowchains (unless it's blizzard outside). Backseat can be folded down to increase trunk space and I've able to move one bedroom worth of stuff (besides the bed and big furnitures) in one trip. Though the leather seats isn't the most comfortable thing in the long drive despite all the different seating positions adjusted. Fuel economy is pretty good for this size car.

wrong-side gas filler
By architr on 03/31/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Subaru Outback Wagon AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I waited one hour while the dealer lined-up the front end and it's been out of line ever since even after I paid to have it re-aligned at 5k. Never accept a car as NEW with 280 km on it , it will probably always be out of alignment if some lead-foot who delivered it found a nice deep pot-hole for the rich SOB buying it. After 17000k there is a major rattle in the rear-end, the front suspension squeaks and the wire guard on one fog light is long gone.

A Nice Ride
By Doc9x on 03/01/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Subaru Outback Wagon AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

This is a very capable vehicle. I have used mine to haul LOTS of stuff on cross-California trips, sometimes traveling at speeds of 95 mph or more. It provides a very solid, comfortable ride. It's great on the highway. I have used the rack to transport items with no problems. There is some wind noise at times, particularly at speeds over 70 mph. I find that at 165 horsepower, there is plenty of power. I haven't had any problems and I've put on almost 9,000 miles in five months. Gas mileage isn’t bad for a car of this size (28 mpg highway @ 65-75 mph).

Meets all our needs!
By Fro on 02/25/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Subaru Outback Wagon L.L. Bean Edition AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

We compared our car w/Passat Wagon, and everything being equal the Outback won hands down. The comfort, roominess and extra (non add-on) emenities made the decision easy. It handles better than any other car we've owned.

Another Great Subaru
By Ron K on 02/25/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Subaru Outback Wagon AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

When we lived in Boston, we had only Subarus for over a decade. Moving to California we had access to a fleet of used company cars and bought those. Eventually we had two Mazdas and intended to replace those. However, the Outback won me over. The other replacement vehicle was a Lexus IS300 and in terms of interior comfort and handling, it is not far off. The power is much different but the Outback is quiet and comfortable while providing a practical alternative to the Lexus. All of the things I like about Subaru are still there--and improved.

A solid, reliable performer
By Irwin on 02/16/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Subaru Outback Wagon Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

In severe climate my Subaru Outback starts on 20degrees below zero temps, gets 27 miles to the gallon, handles like a sports car on mountain roads and is an outstanding performer on snowy, icy, muddy or rain-slick roads. Not tempermental and thoroughly reliable.......A winner in Vermont and Colorado!

dangerous
By Worried on 02/14/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Subaru Outback Wagon L.L. Bean Edition AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Within 5 months of ownership this car has died twice while driving at low speed, posing an extreme danger. Fortunately no collisions so far. The dealer cannot find the problem, so they are giving the car back to me, taking no responsibility for my safety. This car is a potential death trap and the Subaru Co. won't replace it. No reliability and no accountability.