2002 Subaru Outback Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Outback model:
Buy it for comfort and space
By ksolomon on 08/23/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Subaru Outback Wagon AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I have driven 70K miles in 18 months in West Michigan, mostly on the freeway. The car is exceptional in the snow especially with winter tires, it is quiet and comfortable on the freeway and grip is excellent. The tailgate is 43" wide and you can carry a 48" wide board on an angle. It also pulls medium size trailers effortlessly. My car has had only one problem, which was a blown fan motor caused by a faulty surge protector. Dealer service has been very good. My complaints are that the interior is pretty boring, the car is really slow, and I average only 22mpg.

Great car so far...
By dsa on 08/12/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Subaru Outback Wagon AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

We bought our Outback wagon with a 5 speed and the 4 cylinder engine last fall. So far, it's been a great car: in bad weather (especially this past winter in New England), the AWD system is unstoppable. The car is comfortable and convenient and we appreciate the standard heated seats, CD player and power driver's seat. Our only complaints are that it's a little underpowered and the frameless windows generate a fair bit of wind noise at highway speeds.

pretty darn good
By dm guy on 07/25/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Subaru Outback Wagon L.L. Bean Edition AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

It is suprising to me that the car I had 20 years ago had the same gas milage as this. Wow, arent't we making great progress!!! tree-hugging aside, it is a great wagon. not too big, but big enough for small hauls. Back seat is not very roomy- not good for long trips with tall people.

2002 Positive Review
By brookhollow on 07/17/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Subaru Outback Wagon L.L. Bean Edition AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Have enjoyed comfort, reliability, carrying capacity, overall appearance, and features included on this model. Comfort control temperature better than regular temperature controls, but a bit noisey at the start up. Have noticed not as smooth a transition through gears going uphill as a friend's Honda Accord EX (also V-6). Like the Outback a lot--this is my second one!

LL Bean after one year
By Chuck B on 07/15/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Subaru Outback Wagon L.L. Bean Edition AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

The LL Bean has done very well. Have put alot of miles in one year and not one problem. It handles the rough stuff well and feels solid on the hyway. It is not flashy but a very comfortable vehicle to drive short and long distances as well. Would make the same choice again and we looked at the Camry, Accord and Passat.

Lemon Law Quality
By unhappy with subaru on 07/06/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Subaru Outback Wagon AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

TERRIBLE car! HUGE mistake! From day 1, I had nothing but problems with my Outback. White smoke constantly poured from the exhaust, it stalled while driving(this is an auto trans-not a manual!), & countless other mechanical problems. In 3 mos it was at the dealership for repairs 6 times. Subaru claimed there were no problems with it, but they did replace several items to repair the problems they said did not exist. EXTREMELY overpriced compact car, TERRIBLE mpg, SMALL interior. Subaru's Customer Service was deplorable. They didn't care to solve any of the problems I had with the car. I now have a 2002 Chevy Tahoe Z71 that I LOVE!

VDC - Very Dynamic Car
By WRXSTi on 06/30/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Subaru Outback Wagon VDC AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This is my 7th Subaru, and by far the best made and engineered of all of them. No rattles, squeaks, grinding, smoking as of 32000 miles. The VDC is all about the motor, VERY smooth throughout rev range, boxer H6 like a "Porcha", tranmission well matched and downshifts without hesitation. Tip- take the spring on the muffler bypass and reverse it, it allows full flow of exhaust and gives you the distinct pleasure of hearing the engine note at all throttle settings, plus increases the MPG and acceleration.

Reliability of McIntosh Stereo
By jcborgeson on 06/25/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Subaru Outback Wagon VDC AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This is my first Subaru. Great highway cruiser, very quiet. I am puzzled by the reviews that complain of wind noise. ItÂ’s quieter than my Jag XJR. I've measured with a sound meter to confirm. Reliability is good with 20,400 miles. Service has been excellent. The one problem has been the McIntosh stereo. We are on our third, waiting for the fourth. The system sounds great but reliability is awful. I've been told that it is really a Clarion head with McIntosh trim. On the plus side, the AWD system is superb, far better than the Volvo XC70 it replaces. I have been pretty amazed at the slop, ice and snow this car can move through safely.

AVOID the manual transmission
By Very Disappointed on 06/11/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Subaru Outback Wagon AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Within 3 months of the purchase date the car developed a severe case of clutch "chatter" in first gear. It was like pulling teeth to get Subaru America to authorize replacement of the clutch and that only happened because the dealer mechanic agreed that the clutch was bad during a test drive! Within 2 months, the new clutch started to go bad. With this many reported problems with the clutch you would think Subaru America would issue a recall. Wishful thinking on my part!

Inexpensive but underpowered
By SWISS on 06/04/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Subaru Outback Wagon AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I like my Outback, but I wish it had more power for the price. Gas mileage is only average - maybe 23 mpg, and that's not lead footing it either. Mine developed several interior rattles after just 10,000 gentle highway and around town miles. It's a decent car, hauls a lot of gear, but I won't buy another until they boost the power of the 4 cylinder because there's no way I'll pay $28K - $30K for the H6! (Might as well get a used XC70 or a nicer new Passat 4motion for that price...)