Used 2002 Subaru Outback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Subaru Outback - Consumer Reviews

2002 Subaru Outback

View reviews for a specific Outback model:

Don't think I'll buy another Subaru
By lilrhody

2002 Subaru Outback AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

This vehicle was my first new car (2000 miles on it when purchased). The "all weather package" is sort of a joke. When the icy weather comes it doesn't clear/keep clear the ice from my windshield. The wipers completely don't touch the windshield after spraying fluid. Heated seats are a plus though. Has been leaking oil/coolant since 90,000 miles +/-. I was told I have a head gasket seal that is failing. I'm at 111,000. Oil smell is disappointing when at a light/in park with engine running. Recently had a fuel line leak. Window gaskets are horrendously loud! Front windows only. My husbands 98 Forester had to have the engine replaced at 50,000 miles! I don't know if I'll buy another Subaru.

Favorite Features

Heated seats. Runs great in the snow.

Suggested Improvements

Leaky engine problems bad and costly. Window gaskets loud-pricy replacement. $400 to replace.

Going strong at 74,000 miles
By Laura

2002 Subaru Outback AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Just started reading about all the bad reviews on the engine head gasket. We have 74,000 miles and have no engine issues so far! We have had minimal wind noise from the window, no big deal! Also brakes wore rather fast and dealer fixed before warranty end. We bought at 12,000 miles so not sure why this car was traded in! So far this is a great little car. Fair miles 21 around town/mixed and 26 on the highway. Awesome in the snow! We have the triple tread assurance tires. Awesome!! This car is great compared to an SUV except it is only a 4 seater. Very hard if not impossible to get more then 2 kids in the back unless you buy the radian carsets which are hard to install/narrow

No complaints until it hit 65,000 miles
By zesty2b

2002 Subaru Outback Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Slow to accelerate and brake, uncomfortable back seat. Have replaced brakes twice, oxygen sensors, exhaust system, two sets of tires, suspension, clutch, and still not running right at 75,000 miles. Driver side wind noise developed at 50,000 miles. New clutch even more sensitive and prone to slip than the original. Waiting to see if the head gasket will leak in another 15,000 miles or so. This is the 4th Subaru wagon I have owned. The 87 automatic was underpowered; the 92 manual was the best; I traded the 99 before 40,000 after mechanical problems. The 02 Limited is the most luxurious, but not very durable.

Favorite Features

It handles snow SO well. Just add snow tires and you can go anywhere in the winter. The cold weather package is real nice, too, and it can carry a lot inside with the rear seat folded down - -more than most SUVs.

Suggested Improvements

Improve durability and reliability. Subarus used to last longer without needing major repairs. A real disappointment.

Good car, but...
By Jim F

2002 Subaru Outback AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Had this car 5 years & like it. Really like the way it hugs the road & handles curves with low center of gravity due to "pancake engine". 4 cyl engine a little lacking in "get up & go." Love the AWD; I've driven in snow and sand, NEVER put on chains. Interior comfort just OK; still find myself wanting better place to put my elbows while driving. No one wants to ride in middle of back seat. No major mechanical repairs in 5 years, but have had minor oil seepage for last couple years - not enough to drop oil level, but enough to produce burning oil smell from engine & can't find source. CHECK ENGINE & AT OIL TEMP lights keep coming on though no malfunction & no one can figure out why. Annoying.

Favorite Features

All Wheel Drive. Holds good amount of cargo, especially with rear seat folded down. Sporty body styling.

Suggested Improvements

Just a few more inches in width would be nice - and I'm not a big guy. More torque for better acceleration. Wind noise can be annoying.

I Love this car.
By terry sillins

2002 Subaru Outback L.L. Bean Edition AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I live in Pittsburgh Pa. As we all know the snow and steep hills during the winter mounths can be dangerous. Since I have been driving this AWD it is like night and day. I can always get where I want to, no matter what the weather is.

Favorite Features

Winter package. AWD.

Suggested Improvements

I had to remove the center headrest to see behind the car. This is not good.