2002 Subaru Outback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Outback model:
Our 5th Subaru
By CMartin on 03/26/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Subaru Outback H6-3.0 AWD 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I love my Black & Gold 3.0 AWD Outback Sedan! It's fun to drive, and handles EXTREMELY well in snow and rain. It's the most comfortable car I've ever driven for long trips. 600-700 miles in a day, and I still feel great at the end of the day's drive. I have only one complaint that my Service Department has no answer -- the heating/cooling system. Seems there's no happy medium for it. Hopefully Subaru will come up with a fix soon! We've been a Subaru family for a long time. I drove a 2000 Outback Sedan before getting the 2002, with the bigger engine. Glad I made the upgrade, except -- give me my old air conditioner/heater!!!

One Great Car
By David Sander on 03/19/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Subaru Outback L.L. Bean Edition AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I purchesed this car after my 2000 Outback Limited was hit head on at a high rate of speed by a Honda Accord. I walked away, she didn't. Safety sold me on the car. The H6 is an awsome engine. Gobbs of power and torque. I love this car!

Satisfied
By stelatko on 01/18/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Subaru Outback AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

This car was purchased for hauling dogs, people, and anything else. It was driven in adverse weather conditions of E. Oregon and E. Washington and it was unstoppable. I concede that it was driven on open roads and in small towns resulting in less stress than heavy traffic. Overall we have been pretty darn satisfied.

Lot's of touble
By Tomasz on 11/15/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Subaru Outback AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Since the very beginnig we had trouble with this vehicle. First- brakes: car went to dealer twice ending with complete replacmnet of rotors and pads.Then computer needed to be reprogrammed.After this another two repairs of engine(crazy rpms).At the end complete clutch replacment.What else will I have to repair? I will never recommend this car to anybody.

bought new, wish I hadn't
By ssa on 10/28/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Subaru Outback AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Outback wagon with 36000, has had two brake jobs, repeated problems with wind noise, problems with 'check engine' sensor system with light coming on repeatedly, twisted gasket in rear wagon window. Generally, a big disappointment. I've owned Subaru's for 20 years and this is the poorest quality one I've ever owned.

Outback in the Outhouse
By rrrust on 09/30/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Subaru Outback AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Check at 10K miles engine light prompts trip to dealer. Aux. air injection valve (emissions) failure is indicated. This becomes a recurring failure. Valve is replaced once or twice per month for several months. Finally tech rep calls factory and they suggest re- programming car's brain. This fix works, but then car develops severe knocking in valve train (stuck or gummed lifters?). Get rid of this one before warranty expires.

Problems
By happydog on 09/29/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Subaru Outback AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

We have had too many problems with this car. When applying brakes the steering wheel will shimmy. This only happens when brakes are warm. The air conditioner has quit twice. The grill over the fog light fell off. The windshield has cracked twice in the same place. Dealer has tried to fix problems. It is back at a dealer now for another attempt at fixing.

Gaik's Car
By lemonstr on 08/29/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Subaru Outback VDC AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Purchased after extensive review of car's in class. Came down to Forester or Outback. Better ride and quieter than Forester. Forester will probably be my replacement for aging Civic. Would have been happy with a Limited but wife wanted power of H6. Good car, but minor issues. Glove box hard opening, McIntosh stereo crackels on right channel when adjusting volume, water leaks in from child seat strap in rear of cargo area, has had two recalls todate. Gas mileage is not worth the performance in my opinion, wife typically get high teens on a tank, I can squeeze out low 20s with effort, best tank 26 mpg on highway. Overall Good Car!

Buy it for comfort and space
By ksolomon on 08/23/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Subaru Outback AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I have driven 70K miles in 18 months in West Michigan, mostly on the freeway. The car is exceptional in the snow especially with winter tires, it is quiet and comfortable on the freeway and grip is excellent. The tailgate is 43" wide and you can carry a 48" wide board on an angle. It also pulls medium size trailers effortlessly. My car has had only one problem, which was a blown fan motor caused by a faulty surge protector. Dealer service has been very good. My complaints are that the interior is pretty boring, the car is really slow, and I average only 22mpg.

Great car so far...
By dsa on 08/12/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Subaru Outback AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

We bought our Outback wagon with a 5 speed and the 4 cylinder engine last fall. So far, it's been a great car: in bad weather (especially this past winter in New England), the AWD system is unstoppable. The car is comfortable and convenient and we appreciate the standard heated seats, CD player and power driver's seat. Our only complaints are that it's a little underpowered and the frameless windows generate a fair bit of wind noise at highway speeds.