Used 2002 Subaru Outback Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Subaru Outback Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Outback model:
Wubaru Wagon 2002
By haji on 07/23/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Subaru Outback Wagon AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

The car is very rattle prone. Dealer fixed 4 rattles with resistance. Wind and outside noise is uncomfortable. Car handles well in snow. Poor break angle prevents it from doing any serious off road. Premium sound system just doesn't sound right - sounds kind of hollow.

I'm Back With Subaru
By wunderkid49 on 04/25/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Subaru Outback Wagon AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

After a brief fling with a terribly made Ford Taurus, I'm back with Subaru. Bought it three years old for under half the new price. The wagon seems adequately powered to me, even with the automatic. I can haul my recumbent bike inside, and still sneak my six year old in the split back seat. The handling is a real pleasure, and the brakes are powerful. Averaging 26 mpg in rural driving. Security system can only be disarmed by the remote, and I can't figure out how to disconnect it!

SUPER CAR--But buy used
By Scottysubaru on 03/30/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Subaru Outback Wagon AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Best car I ever owned...until I found out they rented them! Not one problem with the car at all. Little things like the radio controls being too small, the back seats not reclining a bit, etc. But, because they rent them, there are an abundance of current model year units on the used car lots in 6 months. Look to chop off $10 grand in the first year in depreciation. Quite a blow..and something you don't expect in a Subaru. SO, BUY A USED ONE....you can save a ton or look at a Forester (they don't rent them yet). I wish I would have.

One Great Car
By David Sander on 03/19/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Subaru Outback Wagon L.L. Bean Edition AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I purchesed this car after my 2000 Outback Limited was hit head on at a high rate of speed by a Honda Accord. I walked away, she didn't. Safety sold me on the car. The H6 is an awsome engine. Gobbs of power and torque. I love this car!

Satisfied
By stelatko on 01/18/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Subaru Outback Wagon AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

This car was purchased for hauling dogs, people, and anything else. It was driven in adverse weather conditions of E. Oregon and E. Washington and it was unstoppable. I concede that it was driven on open roads and in small towns resulting in less stress than heavy traffic. Overall we have been pretty darn satisfied.

Lot's of touble
By Tomasz on 11/15/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Subaru Outback Wagon AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Since the very beginnig we had trouble with this vehicle. First- brakes: car went to dealer twice ending with complete replacmnet of rotors and pads.Then computer needed to be reprogrammed.After this another two repairs of engine(crazy rpms).At the end complete clutch replacment.What else will I have to repair? I will never recommend this car to anybody.

bought new, wish I hadn't
By ssa on 10/28/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Subaru Outback Wagon AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Outback wagon with 36000, has had two brake jobs, repeated problems with wind noise, problems with 'check engine' sensor system with light coming on repeatedly, twisted gasket in rear wagon window. Generally, a big disappointment. I've owned Subaru's for 20 years and this is the poorest quality one I've ever owned.

Outback in the Outhouse
By rrrust on 09/30/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Subaru Outback Wagon AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Check at 10K miles engine light prompts trip to dealer. Aux. air injection valve (emissions) failure is indicated. This becomes a recurring failure. Valve is replaced once or twice per month for several months. Finally tech rep calls factory and they suggest re- programming car's brain. This fix works, but then car develops severe knocking in valve train (stuck or gummed lifters?). Get rid of this one before warranty expires.

Problems
By happydog on 09/29/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Subaru Outback Wagon AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

We have had too many problems with this car. When applying brakes the steering wheel will shimmy. This only happens when brakes are warm. The air conditioner has quit twice. The grill over the fog light fell off. The windshield has cracked twice in the same place. Dealer has tried to fix problems. It is back at a dealer now for another attempt at fixing.

Gaik's Car
By lemonstr on 08/29/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Subaru Outback Wagon VDC AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Purchased after extensive review of car's in class. Came down to Forester or Outback. Better ride and quieter than Forester. Forester will probably be my replacement for aging Civic. Would have been happy with a Limited but wife wanted power of H6. Good car, but minor issues. Glove box hard opening, McIntosh stereo crackels on right channel when adjusting volume, water leaks in from child seat strap in rear of cargo area, has had two recalls todate. Gas mileage is not worth the performance in my opinion, wife typically get high teens on a tank, I can squeeze out low 20s with effort, best tank 26 mpg on highway. Overall Good Car!