Used 2002 Subaru Outback Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Subaru Outback - Consumer Reviews

2002 Subaru Outback Wagon

View reviews for a specific Outback model:

My 2nd Subie
By schmidie

2002 Subaru Outback Wagon Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I just bought my 2002 Subaru Outback after trading in my older 1994 Legacy wagon. I wanted another, newer version of the car I had loved to drive for years. I ended up getting the Limited version of my Outback, with leather seats, steering wheel, and shifter. The seats, outside mirrors are both heated, and the car comes with important saftey features like ABS, airbags for driver and passenger, daytime running lights, and of course AWD.

Favorite Features

The things I like so far are how the dashboard has been updated since my old Subie, digital odometer, outside temperature gague, better stereo system, easier to clean seats and the wood trim around the dash.

Suggested Improvements

The car is slower out of the starting gate, due to more weight for the engine to overcome.

LL Bean Still Strong After 6 Years
By Matt

2002 Subaru Outback Wagon L.L. Bean Edition AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

My Subaru Outback LL Bean is still running perfectly after 6 years and 90,000 miles. I have never had any mechanical problems. The car is awesome in the snow and rain, is actually fun to drive for a wagon and has decent acceleration. Very smooth on the highway. The biggest flaws in this car are 1) the undersized front rotors (I have replaced them twice). This was never a safety issue, just an annoyance. 2) The wind noise from the front driver window. Never leaks, just whistles unless you fiddle with the weatherstripping a bit. Gas mileage is decent (for AWD) at 23 mpg average and a highway mileage around 26 (at ~70mph).

Favorite Features

AWD, very safe, comfortable, reliable, good roof rack

Suggested Improvements

Get rid of pop-up front sun-vent, fix window weatherstrip noise, include a 5 speed AT, use regular fuel, and add 2 more inches in length for rear seat leg room and one more inch in width.

Wanting to Love My Car
By alyonsd

2002 Subaru Outback Wagon AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I did a lot of research and test drove many cars before settling on the Outback. I liked the reputation Subaru had and the smoothness of the ride was very important for me with some medical issues. The Forester was a little too rough. I took great care of it but brakes went at 30K. Trunk cover/shade broke at 60K despite being gentle and not used much. Headgasket went at 90K. Catalytic converter went at 106K. I'm done now with Subaru, as much as I want to believe in them. I spoke with my mechanic about them and he said his experience is that they are either great for you and last, or you end up with one that's not up to par.I'm in the later. Sadly, I think this is my last Subaru.

Favorite Features

Nice ride, decent mileage, good in the snow, storage aspect. Great for active people.

Suggested Improvements

Reliability and parts. I've had to put too much money into it. I had planned on keeping it to 200K but it's not worth it with my particular car. Good luck with yours! My fingers are crossed!

Don't think I'll buy another Subaru
By lilrhody

2002 Subaru Outback Wagon AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

This vehicle was my first new car (2000 miles on it when purchased). The "all weather package" is sort of a joke. When the icy weather comes it doesn't clear/keep clear the ice from my windshield. The wipers completely don't touch the windshield after spraying fluid. Heated seats are a plus though. Has been leaking oil/coolant since 90,000 miles +/-. I was told I have a head gasket seal that is failing. I'm at 111,000. Oil smell is disappointing when at a light/in park with engine running. Recently had a fuel line leak. Window gaskets are horrendously loud! Front windows only. My husbands 98 Forester had to have the engine replaced at 50,000 miles! I don't know if I'll buy another Subaru.

Favorite Features

Heated seats. Runs great in the snow.

Suggested Improvements

Leaky engine problems bad and costly. Window gaskets loud-pricy replacement. $400 to replace.

Going strong at 74,000 miles
By Laura

2002 Subaru Outback Wagon AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Just started reading about all the bad reviews on the engine head gasket. We have 74,000 miles and have no engine issues so far! We have had minimal wind noise from the window, no big deal! Also brakes wore rather fast and dealer fixed before warranty end. We bought at 12,000 miles so not sure why this car was traded in! So far this is a great little car. Fair miles 21 around town/mixed and 26 on the highway. Awesome in the snow! We have the triple tread assurance tires. Awesome!! This car is great compared to an SUV except it is only a 4 seater. Very hard if not impossible to get more then 2 kids in the back unless you buy the radian carsets which are hard to install/narrow