2002 Subaru Outback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Outback model:
3rd and Probably last Outback
By Gary B on 03/27/05 17:29 PM (PST)

2002 Subaru Outback AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

This is the 2nd of three Outbacks I have owned with a head gasket failure. Drivers window does not seal. Engine knocks when cold, acceleration & transmission are sluggish, gas mileage is mediocre. Handling on snowy road not the best. Interior material somewhat cheap.

So long, Subaru
By Tsquared on 12/29/04 23:10 PM (PST)

2002 Subaru Outback AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

This was my second Outback, my first being a '96 5 speed manual I traded for the '02 4 speed automatic. I wish I had held on to my '96. The '02 quality did not seem to be as good and was disappointing. Most recently, the engine sporadically idled poorly or hesitated on acceleration--even on the Interstate. My biggest concern was a leaking head gasket, which is apparently a common problem on 1999-2002 models and there was a recall for some--not all (Google "Outback head gasket"). The "fix" involved adding a conditioner to the coolant to seal the leak. Seems like a stop-gap to me. Between the head gasket and the sporadic acceleration problem I decided to it was time to trade.

2002 Outback Wagon
By Jim on 12/28/04 14:57 PM (PST)

2002 Subaru Outback AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

After twenty-six months, this wagon is as much fun to drive as it was when purchased. It is comfortable, economical to operate, and handles wellin any weather and on any surface. Cruising at highway speeds all day is noproblem, but it really stands out duringa major snow storm. We look forward to many more years with this vehicle and will very likely belooking for another Outback Wagon when it's time to trade.

Subaru's are great cars
By Steven on 12/12/04 19:30 PM (PST)

2002 Subaru Outback H6-3.0 AWD 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This is our first subaru with VDC. It is fantastic. The car is wonderful with the only complaint being the power band really kicks in at 4000 rpm and above, which is a bit high. Under this it is marginal for a six cylinder. It is nice to own a car that does not look like everything else on the road.

Will it run or stop
By no longer subaru fan on 09/15/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Subaru Outback L.L. Bean Edition AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This is my second one, my 2001 I reurned after filing a lemon law complaint. The 2002 isn't much better. The reliability of the car starting is better than my 2001, but for a brand new car should be 100%, not 75%. Had to fight the dealership/Subaru just to get them to believe me that this was happening on the 2001, gave up trying for this one. Also find that the brakes on this are not impressive. For anti-lock brakes, stopping distances seem to be very long. This is even after having them inspected. I will never purchase a Subaru again.

Not impressed
By AUDI on 08/19/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Subaru Outback Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

We bought it for the AWD for VT winters & mud season. Performs well in the elements but not an enjoyable ride otherwise. The clutch is difficult and the interior seating is small & narrow. Have had to replace the breaks several times. Check engine light comes on frequently. Repairs have gotten expensive - one of the worst cars I've owned. I miss my Honda!!

Wubaru Wagon 2002
By haji on 07/23/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Subaru Outback AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

The car is very rattle prone. Dealer fixed 4 rattles with resistance. Wind and outside noise is uncomfortable. Car handles well in snow. Poor break angle prevents it from doing any serious off road. Premium sound system just doesn't sound right - sounds kind of hollow.

I'm Back With Subaru
By wunderkid49 on 04/25/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Subaru Outback AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

After a brief fling with a terribly made Ford Taurus, I'm back with Subaru. Bought it three years old for under half the new price. The wagon seems adequately powered to me, even with the automatic. I can haul my recumbent bike inside, and still sneak my six year old in the split back seat. The handling is a real pleasure, and the brakes are powerful. Averaging 26 mpg in rural driving. Security system can only be disarmed by the remote, and I can't figure out how to disconnect it!

Subaru is fun to drive
By matt saxon on 04/08/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Subaru Outback VDC AWD 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This has been without a doubt the best car I have ever owned. It has everything anyone could want living in the midwest or any snow belt area. It rides very well, and feels comfortable, for a rugid vehical. The McIntosh audio system is a fabulous feature. Looks, performance and comfort/safety. Its well rounded and complete.

SUPER CAR--But buy used
By Scottysubaru on 03/30/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Subaru Outback AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Best car I ever owned...until I found out they rented them! Not one problem with the car at all. Little things like the radio controls being too small, the back seats not reclining a bit, etc. But, because they rent them, there are an abundance of current model year units on the used car lots in 6 months. Look to chop off $10 grand in the first year in depreciation. Quite a blow..and something you don't expect in a Subaru. SO, BUY A USED ONE....you can save a ton or look at a Forester (they don't rent them yet). I wish I would have.