Used 2002 Subaru Outback Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Subaru Outback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Outback model:

Wubaru Wagon 2002
By haji

2002 Subaru Outback AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

The car is very rattle prone. Dealer fixed 4 rattles with resistance. Wind and outside noise is uncomfortable. Car handles well in snow. Poor break angle prevents it from doing any serious off road. Premium sound system just doesn't sound right - sounds kind of hollow.

All wheel drive

Redesign aerodynamics to reduce wind noise, better accoustics in cabin, better sound insulation, bigger gas tank, better break angle.

I'm Back With Subaru
By wunderkid49

2002 Subaru Outback AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

After a brief fling with a terribly made Ford Taurus, I'm back with Subaru. Bought it three years old for under half the new price. The wagon seems adequately powered to me, even with the automatic. I can haul my recumbent bike inside, and still sneak my six year old in the split back seat. The handling is a real pleasure, and the brakes are powerful. Averaging 26 mpg in rural driving. Security system can only be disarmed by the remote, and I can't figure out how to disconnect it!

AWD, Handling, Braking, Weather Radio, lots of cargo room.

Some way to overide the security system.

SUPER CAR--But buy used
By Scottysubaru

2002 Subaru Outback AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Best car I ever owned...until I found out they rented them! Not one problem with the car at all. Little things like the radio controls being too small, the back seats not reclining a bit, etc. But, because they rent them, there are an abundance of current model year units on the used car lots in 6 months. Look to chop off $10 grand in the first year in depreciation. Quite a blow..and something you don't expect in a Subaru. SO, BUY A USED ONE....you can save a ton or look at a Forester (they don't rent them yet). I wish I would have.

AWD System Gas Mileage Quality

STOP RENTING THEM AT HERTZ Reclining rear seats (like the CRV) 3rd row of seats (like the taurus) turbo at a reasonable upcharge 6 speed automatic w/tiptronic

Satisfied
By stelatko

2002 Subaru Outback AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

This car was purchased for hauling dogs, people, and anything else. It was driven in adverse weather conditions of E. Oregon and E. Washington and it was unstoppable. I concede that it was driven on open roads and in small towns resulting in less stress than heavy traffic. Overall we have been pretty darn satisfied.

I drove it on several road trips. It was versitile and comfortable.

The four cylinder is probably a little underpowered for driving in city traffic, but for rural driving...no problem.

Lot's of touble
By Tomasz

2002 Subaru Outback AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Since the very beginnig we had trouble with this vehicle. First- brakes: car went to dealer twice ending with complete replacmnet of rotors and pads.Then computer needed to be reprogrammed.After this another two repairs of engine(crazy rpms).At the end complete clutch replacment.What else will I have to repair? I will never recommend this car to anybody.

None