2002 Subaru Outback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Outback model:
Look elsewhere
By folledOnce on 09/20/06 08:28 AM (PDT)

2002 Subaru Outback AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

At first I thought that dealer(s) were the problem, but car proved me wrong. Everything was a problem. There is no dealer service in NJ and corporate culture is basic arrogance. The car proved to be completely unreliable. I changed oil myself and performed all recommended maintenance, but car started overheating after 38K miles (guess what the warranty period is?). The fact that it was engine overheating and it is theoretically has a warranty for 5 years or 60,000 did not change the fact that I paid for the changing of relays and electrical components on the engine ($400). Brakes: first time changed at 8,000 miles at the dealer. The second time I shelled $400 out of pocket.

Good job overall
By NTB125 on 03/18/06 20:14 PM (PST)

2002 Subaru Outback L.L. Bean Edition AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Generally speaking I think it's an excellent car. Overall quality is very good. Mileage also excellent at low 20's. Great looking car as well. Nothing is perfect but my complaints are minor; such as the rear view mirror being a little in your vision field, no power port and the factory keyless entry not having an auto lock feature. Climate control seems to have a mind of its own and adjusts the fan speed when it wants to. I also have a Forester and nothing here would stop me from buying again.

disappointed
By d barrow on 01/06/06 20:52 PM (PST)

2002 Subaru Outback Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Head gaskets leaking coolant and will not cover under warranty at 80,000 miles -- Subaru has recall/bulletin for same problem on on other VINs but will only cover 50% of an over $1,000 repair. Dual stage rear sunroof liner jams and won't open and won't cover this common problem. Cheap plastic rear cupholders broke and over $65 to repair. Not happy with a vehicle that is expected to run to 200,000 miles!

So far, so good
By Sun195 on 12/27/05 17:45 PM (PST)

2002 Subaru Outback AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I've had this car for three years - no problems yet. Performs well in snow/wet weather. AWD is idiot-proof. Hauls a ton of stuff with seats folded down. Decent gas mileage -- 30+mpg on one recent long trip. Comfortable for longer trips. Adequate power for freeway; not too zippy around town. Short enough so that roof rack is easily accessible. I wish I would have got all-weather package w/ heated mirrors. Car has survived two minor accidents fairly well. This is the "Swiss army knife" of cars.

Anti-Lock Brake Death Trap
By Edward on 12/27/05 00:12 AM (PST)

2002 Subaru Outback L.L. Bean Edition AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

The anti-lock brakes take way too long to stop the car. They are especially bad when the temperature is below freezing. Two different dealers told me there was nothing wrong with the ABS. I love everything else about the car, but I am purchasing a second car to drive in the cold Utah winters. I am planning to keep the car and drive it during the other eight months of the year. Don't let the "winter wonderland" TV commercials fool you!

Love it.
By Kent on 12/21/05 18:44 PM (PST)

2002 Subaru Outback H6-3.0 AWD 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Had the H6 sedan for almost 6 months now and love it. Handles great, rides great, and fun to drive. Only issue is that my breaks squeal loudly after they get warmed up and no dealership yet can figure it out. Ugh. Other than that I am sold on my Subaru! Absolutely a great car. I drive a ton for work and I am always comfortable and never stiffen up driving long road trips.

love this car
By jano on 12/05/05 00:11 AM (PST)

2002 Subaru Outback H6-3.0 AWD 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I could sell Subaru's if I ever needed a job. This car drives like melted butter in smooth performance. It is a fine highway vehicle in mountains as well as long TX stretches. The solidity & quiet drive are something I appreciate most after driving a Ford Explorer, priced about the same. I would like to have a keyless remote that would allow access were I to lock keys inside; other than that, I have no complaints about this vehicle. I am a tried & true Subaru fan. The gas mileage will have to improve on all vehicles in this country. Subaru will most likely help to lead the way here, but I'm getting 18-24 currently.

L.L. Bean Outback aka 'my last Subaru'
By dan on 10/05/05 14:27 PM (PDT)

2002 Subaru Outback L.L. Bean Edition AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

The transmission was replaced at 20k miles and the brakes soon after (under new car warranty). Apparently the pads were replaced and the rotors turned. I was getting a lot of front end shimmy at 30k miles so the dealer decided to turn the drums again. I was just in again at 50k with the same problem and had to pay for new rotors and pads (despite having the extended warranty and the dealer knowing full well this is an on-going problem) An independent mechanic was telling me that the rotors they use on Subaru are actually too thin to be turned and he couldn't believe they turned them once no less twice! The ventilation fan has developed quite a rumble but I was told this is "normal".

Excellent car
By Jim on 09/23/05 21:31 PM (PDT)

2002 Subaru Outback AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car for dependable commuting in all (snowy) weather. It is the most sure-footed vehicle I have ever owned. It has averaged 28 mpg or better under all conditions. Visibility is excellent. It is comfortable on long trips as well. This is a convenient and useful vehicle.

been burned
By Tmad on 07/11/05 23:30 PM (PDT)

2002 Subaru Outback Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

It's good for hauling things when you put down the back seat. The front seats are not very comfortable on longer drives. If you are tall your head hits the sun roof in the back. Worst of all, I have only 76,000 mostly freeway miles on mine and the head gasket is leaking, causing over heating. I only hope that the head gaskets aren't cracked or the block. This is apparently a very common problem on this car. There are three including mine at an authorized repair store where I had it towed. The cost is going to be $3,000 at least. The dealer requires it to be fixed there. Supposedly they are going to cover everything. Towing and rental car too I'm bargaining for.