2002 Subaru Outback Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Outback model:
Lemon Law Quality
By unhappy with subaru on 07/06/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Subaru Outback Wagon AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

TERRIBLE car! HUGE mistake! From day 1, I had nothing but problems with my Outback. White smoke constantly poured from the exhaust, it stalled while driving(this is an auto trans-not a manual!), & countless other mechanical problems. In 3 mos it was at the dealership for repairs 6 times. Subaru claimed there were no problems with it, but they did replace several items to repair the problems they said did not exist. EXTREMELY overpriced compact car, TERRIBLE mpg, SMALL interior. Subaru's Customer Service was deplorable. They didn't care to solve any of the problems I had with the car. I now have a 2002 Chevy Tahoe Z71 that I LOVE!

AVOID the manual transmission
By Very Disappointed on 06/11/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Subaru Outback Wagon AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Within 3 months of the purchase date the car developed a severe case of clutch "chatter" in first gear. It was like pulling teeth to get Subaru America to authorize replacement of the clutch and that only happened because the dealer mechanic agreed that the clutch was bad during a test drive! Within 2 months, the new clutch started to go bad. With this many reported problems with the clutch you would think Subaru America would issue a recall. Wishful thinking on my part!

Inexpensive but underpowered
By SWISS on 06/04/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Subaru Outback Wagon AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I like my Outback, but I wish it had more power for the price. Gas mileage is only average - maybe 23 mpg, and that's not lead footing it either. Mine developed several interior rattles after just 10,000 gentle highway and around town miles. It's a decent car, hauls a lot of gear, but I won't buy another until they boost the power of the 4 cylinder because there's no way I'll pay $28K - $30K for the H6! (Might as well get a used XC70 or a nicer new Passat 4motion for that price...)

2002 Outback wagon
By nhs275 on 04/23/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Subaru Outback Wagon AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Car performance in snow/ice is great. Car has poor passing/climbing performance. WAY too much wind and road noise at freeway speeds.

wrong-side gas filler
By architr on 03/31/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Subaru Outback Wagon AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I waited one hour while the dealer lined-up the front end and it's been out of line ever since even after I paid to have it re-aligned at 5k. Never accept a car as NEW with 280 km on it , it will probably always be out of alignment if some lead-foot who delivered it found a nice deep pot-hole for the rich SOB buying it. After 17000k there is a major rattle in the rear-end, the front suspension squeaks and the wire guard on one fog light is long gone.

A Nice Ride
By Doc9x on 03/01/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Subaru Outback Wagon AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

This is a very capable vehicle. I have used mine to haul LOTS of stuff on cross-California trips, sometimes traveling at speeds of 95 mph or more. It provides a very solid, comfortable ride. It's great on the highway. I have used the rack to transport items with no problems. There is some wind noise at times, particularly at speeds over 70 mph. I find that at 165 horsepower, there is plenty of power. I haven't had any problems and I've put on almost 9,000 miles in five months. Gas mileage isn’t bad for a car of this size (28 mpg highway @ 65-75 mph).

Another Great Subaru
By Ron K on 02/25/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Subaru Outback Wagon AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

When we lived in Boston, we had only Subarus for over a decade. Moving to California we had access to a fleet of used company cars and bought those. Eventually we had two Mazdas and intended to replace those. However, the Outback won me over. The other replacement vehicle was a Lexus IS300 and in terms of interior comfort and handling, it is not far off. The power is much different but the Outback is quiet and comfortable while providing a practical alternative to the Lexus. All of the things I like about Subaru are still there--and improved.

My New Subaru
By jon.scott-sheldon on 09/21/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Subaru Outback Wagon AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I've only had my Outback for three weeks now. However, in that time I've really enjoyed the car. It handles well, taking curvy roads nice and tight. The auto dimming feature in the rear view mirror makes night driving much more enjoyable. Stereo system is adequate. Acceleration on the highway is sufficient. To date my only disappointment is the gas mileage, I'm not quite getting the advertised 27 mpg highway, maybe around 23 mpg. Over 75% of my driving is highway. Keep in mind I do drive with a lead foot.

Subaru Outback Wagon
By lovefishing on 09/03/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Subaru Outback Wagon AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

The Outback is a very reliable and "sensible" vehicle. Third Subaru I have owned - also own(ed) Ford, Isuzu, and GM vehicles. Personally, the AWD and ABS have come in very handy on all of my Subarus, including this most recent purchase. Have avoided several bad situations because the AWD and ABS prevented the accident (this seems more important than how many air bags a vehicle has).

subaru outback wagon
By bbou on 05/23/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Subaru Outback Wagon AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I just love this vehicle! It is a perfect size and handles wonderfully. It is fun to drive and very comfortable.