2002 Subaru Outback Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Outback model:
Wubaru Wagon 2002
By haji on 07/23/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Subaru Outback Wagon AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

The car is very rattle prone. Dealer fixed 4 rattles with resistance. Wind and outside noise is uncomfortable. Car handles well in snow. Poor break angle prevents it from doing any serious off road. Premium sound system just doesn't sound right - sounds kind of hollow.

I'm Back With Subaru
By wunderkid49 on 04/25/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Subaru Outback Wagon AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

After a brief fling with a terribly made Ford Taurus, I'm back with Subaru. Bought it three years old for under half the new price. The wagon seems adequately powered to me, even with the automatic. I can haul my recumbent bike inside, and still sneak my six year old in the split back seat. The handling is a real pleasure, and the brakes are powerful. Averaging 26 mpg in rural driving. Security system can only be disarmed by the remote, and I can't figure out how to disconnect it!

SUPER CAR--But buy used
By Scottysubaru on 03/30/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Subaru Outback Wagon AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Best car I ever owned...until I found out they rented them! Not one problem with the car at all. Little things like the radio controls being too small, the back seats not reclining a bit, etc. But, because they rent them, there are an abundance of current model year units on the used car lots in 6 months. Look to chop off $10 grand in the first year in depreciation. Quite a blow..and something you don't expect in a Subaru. SO, BUY A USED ONE....you can save a ton or look at a Forester (they don't rent them yet). I wish I would have.

Satisfied
By stelatko on 01/18/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Subaru Outback Wagon AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

This car was purchased for hauling dogs, people, and anything else. It was driven in adverse weather conditions of E. Oregon and E. Washington and it was unstoppable. I concede that it was driven on open roads and in small towns resulting in less stress than heavy traffic. Overall we have been pretty darn satisfied.

Lot's of touble
By Tomasz on 11/15/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Subaru Outback Wagon AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Since the very beginnig we had trouble with this vehicle. First- brakes: car went to dealer twice ending with complete replacmnet of rotors and pads.Then computer needed to be reprogrammed.After this another two repairs of engine(crazy rpms).At the end complete clutch replacment.What else will I have to repair? I will never recommend this car to anybody.

bought new, wish I hadn't
By ssa on 10/28/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Subaru Outback Wagon AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Outback wagon with 36000, has had two brake jobs, repeated problems with wind noise, problems with 'check engine' sensor system with light coming on repeatedly, twisted gasket in rear wagon window. Generally, a big disappointment. I've owned Subaru's for 20 years and this is the poorest quality one I've ever owned.

Outback in the Outhouse
By rrrust on 09/30/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Subaru Outback Wagon AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Check at 10K miles engine light prompts trip to dealer. Aux. air injection valve (emissions) failure is indicated. This becomes a recurring failure. Valve is replaced once or twice per month for several months. Finally tech rep calls factory and they suggest re- programming car's brain. This fix works, but then car develops severe knocking in valve train (stuck or gummed lifters?). Get rid of this one before warranty expires.

Problems
By happydog on 09/29/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Subaru Outback Wagon AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

We have had too many problems with this car. When applying brakes the steering wheel will shimmy. This only happens when brakes are warm. The air conditioner has quit twice. The grill over the fog light fell off. The windshield has cracked twice in the same place. Dealer has tried to fix problems. It is back at a dealer now for another attempt at fixing.

Buy it for comfort and space
By ksolomon on 08/23/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Subaru Outback Wagon AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I have driven 70K miles in 18 months in West Michigan, mostly on the freeway. The car is exceptional in the snow especially with winter tires, it is quiet and comfortable on the freeway and grip is excellent. The tailgate is 43" wide and you can carry a 48" wide board on an angle. It also pulls medium size trailers effortlessly. My car has had only one problem, which was a blown fan motor caused by a faulty surge protector. Dealer service has been very good. My complaints are that the interior is pretty boring, the car is really slow, and I average only 22mpg.

Great car so far...
By dsa on 08/12/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Subaru Outback Wagon AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

We bought our Outback wagon with a 5 speed and the 4 cylinder engine last fall. So far, it's been a great car: in bad weather (especially this past winter in New England), the AWD system is unstoppable. The car is comfortable and convenient and we appreciate the standard heated seats, CD player and power driver's seat. Our only complaints are that it's a little underpowered and the frameless windows generate a fair bit of wind noise at highway speeds.