Used 2002 Subaru Outback Base Wagon Consumer Reviews - 52 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Subaru Outback Wagon - Consumer Reviews

2002 Subaru Outback Wagon

View reviews for a specific Outback model:

Wanting to Love My Car
By alyonsd

2002 Subaru Outback Wagon AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I did a lot of research and test drove many cars before settling on the Outback. I liked the reputation Subaru had and the smoothness of the ride was very important for me with some medical issues. The Forester was a little too rough. I took great care of it but brakes went at 30K. Trunk cover/shade broke at 60K despite being gentle and not used much. Headgasket went at 90K. Catalytic converter went at 106K. I'm done now with Subaru, as much as I want to believe in them. I spoke with my mechanic about them and he said his experience is that they are either great for you and last, or you end up with one that's not up to par.I'm in the later. Sadly, I think this is my last Subaru.

Nice ride, decent mileage, good in the snow, storage aspect. Great for active people.

Reliability and parts. I've had to put too much money into it. I had planned on keeping it to 200K but it's not worth it with my particular car. Good luck with yours! My fingers are crossed!

Don't think I'll buy another Subaru
By lilrhody

2002 Subaru Outback Wagon AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

This vehicle was my first new car (2000 miles on it when purchased). The "all weather package" is sort of a joke. When the icy weather comes it doesn't clear/keep clear the ice from my windshield. The wipers completely don't touch the windshield after spraying fluid. Heated seats are a plus though. Has been leaking oil/coolant since 90,000 miles +/-. I was told I have a head gasket seal that is failing. I'm at 111,000. Oil smell is disappointing when at a light/in park with engine running. Recently had a fuel line leak. Window gaskets are horrendously loud! Front windows only. My husbands 98 Forester had to have the engine replaced at 50,000 miles! I don't know if I'll buy another Subaru.

Heated seats. Runs great in the snow.

Leaky engine problems bad and costly. Window gaskets loud-pricy replacement. $400 to replace.

Going strong at 74,000 miles
By Laura

2002 Subaru Outback Wagon AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Just started reading about all the bad reviews on the engine head gasket. We have 74,000 miles and have no engine issues so far! We have had minimal wind noise from the window, no big deal! Also brakes wore rather fast and dealer fixed before warranty end. We bought at 12,000 miles so not sure why this car was traded in! So far this is a great little car. Fair miles 21 around town/mixed and 26 on the highway. Awesome in the snow! We have the triple tread assurance tires. Awesome!! This car is great compared to an SUV except it is only a 4 seater. Very hard if not impossible to get more then 2 kids in the back unless you buy the radian carsets which are hard to install/narrow

Good car, but...
By Jim F

2002 Subaru Outback Wagon AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Had this car 5 years & like it. Really like the way it hugs the road & handles curves with low center of gravity due to "pancake engine". 4 cyl engine a little lacking in "get up & go." Love the AWD; I've driven in snow and sand, NEVER put on chains. Interior comfort just OK; still find myself wanting better place to put my elbows while driving. No one wants to ride in middle of back seat. No major mechanical repairs in 5 years, but have had minor oil seepage for last couple years - not enough to drop oil level, but enough to produce burning oil smell from engine & can't find source. CHECK ENGINE & AT OIL TEMP lights keep coming on though no malfunction & no one can figure out why. Annoying.

All Wheel Drive. Holds good amount of cargo, especially with rear seat folded down. Sporty body styling.

Just a few more inches in width would be nice - and I'm not a big guy. More torque for better acceleration. Wind noise can be annoying.

My subaru
By seabeewife

2002 Subaru Outback Wagon AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

This is the best car I have ever owned. Handles awesomely in the rain, snow, ice and dry pavement. I can't think of a better car I would want to own.