Used 2002 Subaru Outback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Subaru Outback - Consumer Reviews

2002 Subaru Outback

View reviews for a specific Outback model:

Not impressed
By AUDI

2002 Subaru Outback Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

We bought it for the AWD for VT winters & mud season. Performs well in the elements but not an enjoyable ride otherwise. The clutch is difficult and the interior seating is small & narrow. Have had to replace the breaks several times. Check engine light comes on frequently. Repairs have gotten expensive - one of the worst cars I've owned. I miss my Honda!!

Favorite Features

Great in snow & mud!, heated seats, large cargo room in the back - when seats are folded down you can fit most anything.

Suggested Improvements

Manual transmission - very jerky & difficult to drive; Needs more head room; Windows & sunroof very noisy on interstate driving; Gas door latch on drivers side floor freezes in winter; Brakes!

Wubaru Wagon 2002
By haji

2002 Subaru Outback AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

The car is very rattle prone. Dealer fixed 4 rattles with resistance. Wind and outside noise is uncomfortable. Car handles well in snow. Poor break angle prevents it from doing any serious off road. Premium sound system just doesn't sound right - sounds kind of hollow.

Favorite Features

All wheel drive

Suggested Improvements

Redesign aerodynamics to reduce wind noise, better accoustics in cabin, better sound insulation, bigger gas tank, better break angle.

I'm Back With Subaru
By wunderkid49

2002 Subaru Outback AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

After a brief fling with a terribly made Ford Taurus, I'm back with Subaru. Bought it three years old for under half the new price. The wagon seems adequately powered to me, even with the automatic. I can haul my recumbent bike inside, and still sneak my six year old in the split back seat. The handling is a real pleasure, and the brakes are powerful. Averaging 26 mpg in rural driving. Security system can only be disarmed by the remote, and I can't figure out how to disconnect it!

Favorite Features

AWD, Handling, Braking, Weather Radio, lots of cargo room.

Suggested Improvements

Some way to overide the security system.

Subaru is fun to drive
By matt saxon

2002 Subaru Outback VDC AWD 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This has been without a doubt the best car I have ever owned. It has everything anyone could want living in the midwest or any snow belt area. It rides very well, and feels comfortable, for a rugid vehical. The McIntosh audio system is a fabulous feature. Looks, performance and comfort/safety. Its well rounded and complete.

Favorite Features

Wheels, styling, driving experience.

Suggested Improvements

More leg room for the front passenger. More head room if you have the sedan with a moon roof.

SUPER CAR--But buy used
By Scottysubaru

2002 Subaru Outback AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Best car I ever owned...until I found out they rented them! Not one problem with the car at all. Little things like the radio controls being too small, the back seats not reclining a bit, etc. But, because they rent them, there are an abundance of current model year units on the used car lots in 6 months. Look to chop off $10 grand in the first year in depreciation. Quite a blow..and something you don't expect in a Subaru. SO, BUY A USED ONE....you can save a ton or look at a Forester (they don't rent them yet). I wish I would have.

Favorite Features

AWD System Gas Mileage Quality

Suggested Improvements

STOP RENTING THEM AT HERTZ Reclining rear seats (like the CRV) 3rd row of seats (like the taurus) turbo at a reasonable upcharge 6 speed automatic w/tiptronic