2002 Subaru Outback Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Outback model:
Great Car!...Needs a Tranny
By Rob Tucker on 05/13/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Subaru Outback Wagon L.L. Bean Edition AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This car is very nice. I have owned many Subarus and this car is not like any of them. Quiet, smooth, comfortable, ergonomic. What a great engine the 3.0 H-6 is! Its just too bad that it doesn't have a better Automatic transmission. Needs a 5 speed Auto with closer gearing or a manual tranny would be nice. Overall a great car though.

This is one SAFE car!!!
By LovemyOutback on 05/11/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Subaru Outback Wagon Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Just had a major accident in my Outback wagon and walked away with only bruises from the seatbelt! Was going 50mph and SUV pulled in front of me and stopped dead in its tracks. I didn't even have time to hit the brakes. Front end smushed in, but passenger compartment still in perfect condition! I'm getting another one!

Our third and last Subaru
By Moneted on 05/11/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Subaru Outback Wagon AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Exeptional AWD. Came withe bad alignmant (insides of front tires gone-Subaru not responsible), one of the motor mount bolts missing (I discovered it while changing oil at 1000 miles). In general qertionable production line quality

Great Car
By TonyA on 05/09/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Subaru Outback Wagon AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Great Vehicle!! Fun to drive everywhere.

BAD CAR
By MARKUS on 04/21/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Subaru Outback Wagon Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Bad clutch shudder, steering vibration, mushy brakes

All Weather Reliability
By Denni Antonio on 04/11/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Subaru Outback Wagon AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this wagon for my winter ski trips to Vermont from Long Island.Three trips with three people,skiis and gear for days away from home.There was just the right amount ofroom,comfort,reliable driving and good gas mileage(27mpg) I expected.Imagine that when my last car was a 1985 Jag Sovereign imported from Germany.

River Rat's Review
By River Rat on 04/05/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Subaru Outback Wagon AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

This is my third Subaru. The first two gave me over 200,000 miles each. This Outback is the best of both worlds. It's comfortable on long trips and commutes, and is very competent in the wet and snow. Every feature is well thought out and useful. I shopped for two years before deciding once again that a Subaru is the most car for your money.

14-Month Review
By rob999 on 04/02/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Subaru Outback Wagon AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Have completed 14 months / 17,000 miles in my H4/5spd Outback. Absolutely zero problems. A delightful car to drive. This is primarily my commuter car, but we occasionally press it into family service for weekend trips, especially for winter driving. I would recommend the Outback to anyone considering this type of vehicle. Glad I ditched my SUV!

Happy Trails
By hdiddy on 03/30/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Subaru Outback Wagon L.L. Bean Edition AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This vehicle has been a real pleasure to drive. Excellent handling and I really enjoy the extras on the Bean. This is my first soob and probably won't be my last.

Think Again
By Trading It In! on 03/26/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Subaru Outback Wagon AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

This car is not what it is what I would call a family friendly car. At best at 3200 miles it gets 20 mpg on the highway and 17 in the city. It appears Subaru went cheap and is riding on their reputation rather than giving us a safe car. It is designed so that you have to take your eyes off the road to check if you are in cruise, the windshield heater is on or off, if the wheel is tilted the slightest you cannot see the turn signal indicators. There is no safety hooks for the middle seat for a child restraint system. Only on the outboard. An unsafe vehicle for this reason. It mpg is not much better than a Ford Explorer.