Used 2002 Subaru Outback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Subaru Outback - Consumer Reviews

2002 Subaru Outback

View reviews for a specific Outback model:

3rd and Probably last Outback
By Gary B

2002 Subaru Outback AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

This is the 2nd of three Outbacks I have owned with a head gasket failure. Drivers window does not seal. Engine knocks when cold, acceleration & transmission are sluggish, gas mileage is mediocre. Handling on snowy road not the best. Interior material somewhat cheap.

Favorite Features

AWD, size, appearance, heated seats, wipers, etc.

Suggested Improvements

Improve build quality and materials. Better tires to improve handling on snow covered roads. Improve transmission and gas mileage.

So long, Subaru
By Tsquared

2002 Subaru Outback AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

This was my second Outback, my first being a '96 5 speed manual I traded for the '02 4 speed automatic. I wish I had held on to my '96. The '02 quality did not seem to be as good and was disappointing. Most recently, the engine sporadically idled poorly or hesitated on acceleration--even on the Interstate. My biggest concern was a leaking head gasket, which is apparently a common problem on 1999-2002 models and there was a recall for some--not all (Google "Outback head gasket"). The "fix" involved adding a conditioner to the coolant to seal the leak. Seems like a stop-gap to me. Between the head gasket and the sporadic acceleration problem I decided to it was time to trade.

Favorite Features

AWD, Winter Package (heated seats, heated mirrors, etc.).

Suggested Improvements

Improve quality. Deal with head gasket problem. Make car wider to accommodate a larger back seat that can handle three child seats.

2002 Outback Wagon
By Jim

2002 Subaru Outback AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

After twenty-six months, this wagon is as much fun to drive as it was when purchased. It is comfortable, economical to operate, and handles wellin any weather and on any surface. Cruising at highway speeds all day is noproblem, but it really stands out duringa major snow storm. We look forward to many more years with this vehicle and will very likely belooking for another Outback Wagon when it's time to trade.

Favorite Features

Choosing one feature over another is nearly impossible. This car was designed with the driver and passengers in mind and provides everything that is needed in a straight forward, clean format.

Suggested Improvements

Heated exterior mirrors and windshield washer fluid de-icer should be standard features rather than options.

Subaru's are great cars
By Steven

2002 Subaru Outback H6-3.0 AWD 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This is our first subaru with VDC. It is fantastic. The car is wonderful with the only complaint being the power band really kicks in at 4000 rpm and above, which is a bit high. Under this it is marginal for a six cylinder. It is nice to own a car that does not look like everything else on the road.

Favorite Features

VDC, AWD, Six cylinder. Heated seats, windshield, rear window and mirrors. Outside styling.

Suggested Improvements

Lower the power band to 2500 RPM. The seats in this range of model years are stiff and short

Will it run or stop
By no longer subaru fan

2002 Subaru Outback L.L. Bean Edition AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This is my second one, my 2001 I reurned after filing a lemon law complaint. The 2002 isn't much better. The reliability of the car starting is better than my 2001, but for a brand new car should be 100%, not 75%. Had to fight the dealership/Subaru just to get them to believe me that this was happening on the 2001, gave up trying for this one. Also find that the brakes on this are not impressive. For anti-lock brakes, stopping distances seem to be very long. This is even after having them inspected. I will never purchase a Subaru again.

Suggested Improvements

Make car more reliable.