Used 2002 Subaru Outback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Subaru Outback - Consumer Reviews

2002 Subaru Outback

View reviews for a specific Outback model:

Most Helpful|
Not a reliable engine
By Baxter

2002 Subaru Outback AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Don't expect this vehicle to last and last. I've had two of these and the first the engine ate itself at 125K. Head gasket blew on the highway. I thought it was a fluke so I bought another. Replaced three head gaskets in this one and the engine ate itself because of a blown head gasket at 175K. Probably spent over $3K on this problem. They go through everything but this engine has a major design flaw with their head gaskets. If your leaking oil REPLACE THE HEAD GASKET! $700 plus repair.

Favorite Features

Goes through all kinds of weather.

Suggested Improvements

Fix the head gasket problem!

No complaints until it hit 65,000 miles
By zesty2b

2002 Subaru Outback Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Slow to accelerate and brake, uncomfortable back seat. Have replaced brakes twice, oxygen sensors, exhaust system, two sets of tires, suspension, clutch, and still not running right at 75,000 miles. Driver side wind noise developed at 50,000 miles. New clutch even more sensitive and prone to slip than the original. Waiting to see if the head gasket will leak in another 15,000 miles or so. This is the 4th Subaru wagon I have owned. The 87 automatic was underpowered; the 92 manual was the best; I traded the 99 before 40,000 after mechanical problems. The 02 Limited is the most luxurious, but not very durable.

Favorite Features

It handles snow SO well. Just add snow tires and you can go anywhere in the winter. The cold weather package is real nice, too, and it can carry a lot inside with the rear seat folded down - -more than most SUVs.

Suggested Improvements

Improve durability and reliability. Subarus used to last longer without needing major repairs. A real disappointment.

Look elsewhere
By folledOnce

2002 Subaru Outback AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

At first I thought that dealer(s) were the problem, but car proved me wrong. Everything was a problem. There is no dealer service in NJ and corporate culture is basic arrogance. The car proved to be completely unreliable. I changed oil myself and performed all recommended maintenance, but car started overheating after 38K miles (guess what the warranty period is?). The fact that it was engine overheating and it is theoretically has a warranty for 5 years or 60,000 did not change the fact that I paid for the changing of relays and electrical components on the engine ($400). Brakes: first time changed at 8,000 miles at the dealer. The second time I shelled $400 out of pocket.

Favorite Features

All wheel drive: works OK in a winter.

Suggested Improvements

The paint is vintage '50s: peeled off the bumpers after 18 months. Exhaust: dealer explained that it was stainless steal and should not corrode, which was proof that it was defective. I could not pass inspection with it. Local mechanic soldered it and slapped on an inspection sticker.

been burned
By Tmad

2002 Subaru Outback Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

It's good for hauling things when you put down the back seat. The front seats are not very comfortable on longer drives. If you are tall your head hits the sun roof in the back. Worst of all, I have only 76,000 mostly freeway miles on mine and the head gasket is leaking, causing over heating. I only hope that the head gaskets aren't cracked or the block. This is apparently a very common problem on this car. There are three including mine at an authorized repair store where I had it towed. The cost is going to be $3,000 at least. The dealer requires it to be fixed there. Supposedly they are going to cover everything. Towing and rental car too I'm bargaining for.

Suggested Improvements

Recall the involved vehicles. The problem has far reaching and expensive implications, for consumers and Subaru of America.

SUBARU ROOARU ROCKS
By ROOARU

2002 Subaru Outback H6-3.0 AWD 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Just bought a H-6 sedan. Black/gold but painted it to Silvertone with the black. Looks much more sportier. The sound system great, More Bass~ Drives great. Went to Florida from Wisconsin and What a drive. I was amazed in the Tennessee's Mtns;where they had 15% grade steep hills and it just drove like there were no hills at all. My freinds were very impress and is getting the WRX in June.

Favorite Features

It's Drives for u. U have no worries in any conditions~ SNOW or RAIN! Even on the sand on the beach, we did some twist and turns. FUN FUN FUN!

Suggested Improvements

work on the steering. can be hard on higher speeds when going 80ish the Cop like the subie when I got pulled over and got away with it!!!!