2002 Subaru Outback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Outback model:
a little dissapointed
By skillet1 on 02/09/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Subaru Outback AWD 4dr Wagon w/Weather Pkg (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

This is my first Subaru. A little dissapointed after all the great things I've heard. It has alot going for it but I feel it is way overpriced for what you get.$25k for cloth, manual, no moonroof, no homelink, only frt. airbags,anemic stereo, 4 cyl. w/ adequate power at best. Left front brake started squeaking after delivery and still sqeaks horribly. Found out they are notorious for squeaking and warping. MPG has been ok but have never gotten near the posted 27mpg hwy, 25mpg was my best and 23mpg is my avg. going to work and back which is 95% Hwy. I get 24mpg on the same trip with a RX300. However,the Outback is a practical, spacious, nice looking wgn.

plenty of thought and research
By funky dawg on 01/21/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Subaru Outback L.L. Bean Edition AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I like Subarus and even sold them. I've seen hundreds of new and used Subies. I love the LL BEAN. My needs were sport-luxury, utility type of car (I already have an SUV). Subaru can make some quirky decisions/designs in different makes/models. The LL BEAN'S are below. Subaru should take a step back (better yet, hire me as a consultant) and centralize all like functions to the same locations. The HO6 is great for the Outbacks. Stereo system is above average. The climate control is effective but can have a mind of it's own. I've gotten 21 mpg avg. It's smart, comfortable, stylish, reliable and fun to drive.

Best all-around wagon, but not inspiring
By Nostoc2 on 01/07/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Subaru Outback L.L. Bean Edition AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

On a price per feature and per reliability ratings basis, I concluded the LL Bean beat the AWD V-6 Passat and Volvo. The styling, in and out, and the materials quality of the Subaru does not match those competitors, however, so I do not get excited to drive the Outback as I might the Passat, nor do I have the cache that comes with driving a Volvo. But I get more storage space, better foul weather operation (Subaru's more sophisticated AWD and higher elevation off the ground), more hi end horsepower and extra luxury features for my money.

H6 LL bean outback review
By FunkyAlien13 on 12/17/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Subaru Outback L.L. Bean Edition AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Excellent perfromer, The AWD is nice in the wintertime along with the heated mirrors, wipers, and seats. Put together very nicely with no big gaps in the paneling as you might see in a Ford or GM. The 80 watt sound system is excellent, and there is lots of cargo room, Subaru should have traded some of that for some more rear leg room though, bcause when the seats fold down there is lots of room anyways. The dual moonroofs are neat at night.

LL Beam - Best Buy In Its Class
By TerryLee on 10/18/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Subaru Outback L.L. Bean Edition AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

All things considered, this car offers the best value comparing to its rivals such as Passat, A4 and XC or V70. The engine is smooth though its lack of low- end torque. Teh built quality is excellent and teh ride is very comfortable. I have been averaging 24- 26 mpg doing mixed commute. The only thing this car is missing is its reputation in the luxury car semnet.

Now I'm Sure! Its the Outback Sedan
By emjantam on 10/04/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Subaru Outback H6-3.0 AWD 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I traded in my Mazda Millenia S for the Outback and was a little hessitant at first, its a whole different beast. The more I look at the cars interior and exterior and drive it, the more I'm sure I made a good choice. I tried the Audi A4, VW Passat, Land Rover, BMW IX ect since I was looking for All-wheel- drive. Nothing came close to the Outback in price when options were added up. To get the A4, BMW or Passat with the same options, I'd have to pays thousands of bucks more. Its a nice classy ride. It not the quickest nor does it have the prestigous name but its the best deal - reliable, unique and comfortable.

LOVE IT!
By JenJ on 09/28/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Subaru Outback VDC AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

We love this car. Plenty of room for a family of 4. Stereo is great. Much more power than our old Subaru. Don't really need the moon-roofs, but the kids think they're cool :) Had to laugh on a recent trip to Vermont, saw at least one in EVERY parking lot. Can't wait for snow this winter.

My New Subaru
By jon.scott-sheldon on 09/21/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Subaru Outback AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I've only had my Outback for three weeks now. However, in that time I've really enjoyed the car. It handles well, taking curvy roads nice and tight. The auto dimming feature in the rear view mirror makes night driving much more enjoyable. Stereo system is adequate. Acceleration on the highway is sufficient. To date my only disappointment is the gas mileage, I'm not quite getting the advertised 27 mpg highway, maybe around 23 mpg. Over 75% of my driving is highway. Keep in mind I do drive with a lead foot.

The car of my dreams
By Hiker Girl on 09/14/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Subaru Outback L.L. Bean Edition AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This is one incredible car/suv/staion wagon. Whatever you want, it is. It very luxurious, stylish, and fun to drive. Dependability and reliability are key, and this car has it all. I'm surprised everyone doesn't have this vehicle.

Subaru Outback Wagon
By lovefishing on 09/03/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Subaru Outback AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

The Outback is a very reliable and "sensible" vehicle. Third Subaru I have owned - also own(ed) Ford, Isuzu, and GM vehicles. Personally, the AWD and ABS have come in very handy on all of my Subarus, including this most recent purchase. Have avoided several bad situations because the AWD and ABS prevented the accident (this seems more important than how many air bags a vehicle has).