Used 2002 Subaru Outback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Subaru Outback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Outback model:

Love it.
By Kent

2002 Subaru Outback H6-3.0 AWD 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Had the H6 sedan for almost 6 months now and love it. Handles great, rides great, and fun to drive. Only issue is that my breaks squeal loudly after they get warmed up and no dealership yet can figure it out. Ugh. Other than that I am sold on my Subaru! Absolutely a great car. I drive a ton for work and I am always comfortable and never stiffen up driving long road trips.

Cold weather package, seating comfort, handling, styling ... and on and on!

Trunk pop on the key fob, more interior storage spaces in the front.

love this car
By jano

2002 Subaru Outback H6-3.0 AWD 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I could sell Subaru's if I ever needed a job. This car drives like melted butter in smooth performance. It is a fine highway vehicle in mountains as well as long TX stretches. The solidity & quiet drive are something I appreciate most after driving a Ford Explorer, priced about the same. I would like to have a keyless remote that would allow access were I to lock keys inside; other than that, I have no complaints about this vehicle. I am a tried & true Subaru fan. The gas mileage will have to improve on all vehicles in this country. Subaru will most likely help to lead the way here, but I'm getting 18-24 currently.

Beautiful wooden steering wheel, comfy seats w/multiple adjustments, tight, quiet, solid drive. ALPINE STEREO!

Spoiler on back of sedan makes backing up a little challenging with height of trunk vs. driver's seat. Would like more storage in console or someplace. Need multiple disk cd changer.

L.L. Bean Outback aka 'my last Subaru'
By dan

2002 Subaru Outback L.L. Bean Edition AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

The transmission was replaced at 20k miles and the brakes soon after (under new car warranty). Apparently the pads were replaced and the rotors turned. I was getting a lot of front end shimmy at 30k miles so the dealer decided to turn the drums again. I was just in again at 50k with the same problem and had to pay for new rotors and pads (despite having the extended warranty and the dealer knowing full well this is an on-going problem) An independent mechanic was telling me that the rotors they use on Subaru are actually too thin to be turned and he couldn't believe they turned them once no less twice! The ventilation fan has developed quite a rumble but I was told this is "normal".

Lay-flat cargo area.

More substantial brakes. Improved sound proofing and more attention to quality overall.

Excellent car
By Jim

2002 Subaru Outback AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car for dependable commuting in all (snowy) weather. It is the most sure-footed vehicle I have ever owned. It has averaged 28 mpg or better under all conditions. Visibility is excellent. It is comfortable on long trips as well. This is a convenient and useful vehicle.

Stock wiper blades have poor longevity. The rear bumper tends to collect road sand. 6 cylinder, and hybrid engine options should be offered in the base model Outback.

been burned
By Tmad

2002 Subaru Outback Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

It's good for hauling things when you put down the back seat. The front seats are not very comfortable on longer drives. If you are tall your head hits the sun roof in the back. Worst of all, I have only 76,000 mostly freeway miles on mine and the head gasket is leaking, causing over heating. I only hope that the head gaskets aren't cracked or the block. This is apparently a very common problem on this car. There are three including mine at an authorized repair store where I had it towed. The cost is going to be $3,000 at least. The dealer requires it to be fixed there. Supposedly they are going to cover everything. Towing and rental car too I'm bargaining for.

Recall the involved vehicles. The problem has far reaching and expensive implications, for consumers and Subaru of America.