Used 2002 Subaru Outback Consumer Reviews - 140 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Subaru Outback - Consumer Reviews

2002 Subaru Outback

View reviews for a specific Outback model:

So far, so good
By Sun195

2002 Subaru Outback AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I've had this car for three years - no problems yet. Performs well in snow/wet weather. AWD is idiot-proof. Hauls a ton of stuff with seats folded down. Decent gas mileage -- 30+mpg on one recent long trip. Comfortable for longer trips. Adequate power for freeway; not too zippy around town. Short enough so that roof rack is easily accessible. I wish I would have got all-weather package w/ heated mirrors. Car has survived two minor accidents fairly well. This is the "Swiss army knife" of cars.

AWD, cargo capacity, gas mileage, flexibility.

Needs more power, some problems with driver-side window sealing, fog lamps are expensive to replace, cruise control seems odd.

Anti-Lock Brake Death Trap
By Edward

2002 Subaru Outback L.L. Bean Edition AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

The anti-lock brakes take way too long to stop the car. They are especially bad when the temperature is below freezing. Two different dealers told me there was nothing wrong with the ABS. I love everything else about the car, but I am purchasing a second car to drive in the cold Utah winters. I am planning to keep the car and drive it during the other eight months of the year. Don't let the "winter wonderland" TV commercials fool you!

Steering, suspension, ride, interior comfort, Bridgestone Potenza tires (they lasted 55,000 miles!), paint still looks new, cabin space, SUV-like ground clearance with car-like handling.

Brakes! Climate control has a mind of its own. Needs all leather interior as opposed to only the darker seat surface areas.

Love it.
By Kent

2002 Subaru Outback H6-3.0 AWD 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Had the H6 sedan for almost 6 months now and love it. Handles great, rides great, and fun to drive. Only issue is that my breaks squeal loudly after they get warmed up and no dealership yet can figure it out. Ugh. Other than that I am sold on my Subaru! Absolutely a great car. I drive a ton for work and I am always comfortable and never stiffen up driving long road trips.

Cold weather package, seating comfort, handling, styling ... and on and on!

Trunk pop on the key fob, more interior storage spaces in the front.

love this car
By jano

2002 Subaru Outback H6-3.0 AWD 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I could sell Subaru's if I ever needed a job. This car drives like melted butter in smooth performance. It is a fine highway vehicle in mountains as well as long TX stretches. The solidity & quiet drive are something I appreciate most after driving a Ford Explorer, priced about the same. I would like to have a keyless remote that would allow access were I to lock keys inside; other than that, I have no complaints about this vehicle. I am a tried & true Subaru fan. The gas mileage will have to improve on all vehicles in this country. Subaru will most likely help to lead the way here, but I'm getting 18-24 currently.

Beautiful wooden steering wheel, comfy seats w/multiple adjustments, tight, quiet, solid drive. ALPINE STEREO!

Spoiler on back of sedan makes backing up a little challenging with height of trunk vs. driver's seat. Would like more storage in console or someplace. Need multiple disk cd changer.

L.L. Bean Outback aka 'my last Subaru'
By dan

2002 Subaru Outback L.L. Bean Edition AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

The transmission was replaced at 20k miles and the brakes soon after (under new car warranty). Apparently the pads were replaced and the rotors turned. I was getting a lot of front end shimmy at 30k miles so the dealer decided to turn the drums again. I was just in again at 50k with the same problem and had to pay for new rotors and pads (despite having the extended warranty and the dealer knowing full well this is an on-going problem) An independent mechanic was telling me that the rotors they use on Subaru are actually too thin to be turned and he couldn't believe they turned them once no less twice! The ventilation fan has developed quite a rumble but I was told this is "normal".

Lay-flat cargo area.

More substantial brakes. Improved sound proofing and more attention to quality overall.