2002 Subaru Outback Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Outback model:
Started Out Great Then Money Pit
By Dave In Denver on 08/01/10 08:37 AM (PDT)

2002 Subaru Outback Wagon VDC AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This was our second outback. We bought a 3.0h6 vdc used. It was the regional Subaru rep's car and came fully loaded with everything including the McIntosh stereo. For 4 years we hauled 2 kids and a 80 lb dog all over Colorado. The car was great until it hit 100,000 miles. After that it was nonstop maintenance. A big problem was the car burned through brakes. Then the car began leaking oil. Lots of oil! The biggest problem was when we would go up a hill the vdc off light would come on then the engine would overheat. Two Subaru dealers could not find the problem. They overhauled the entire cooling system at great expense. Head gaskets were fine. We finally gave up and traded it in.

Gaik's Car
By lemonstr on 08/29/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Subaru Outback Wagon VDC AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Purchased after extensive review of car's in class. Came down to Forester or Outback. Better ride and quieter than Forester. Forester will probably be my replacement for aging Civic. Would have been happy with a Limited but wife wanted power of H6. Good car, but minor issues. Glove box hard opening, McIntosh stereo crackels on right channel when adjusting volume, water leaks in from child seat strap in rear of cargo area, has had two recalls todate. Gas mileage is not worth the performance in my opinion, wife typically get high teens on a tank, I can squeeze out low 20s with effort, best tank 26 mpg on highway. Overall Good Car!

VDC - Very Dynamic Car
By WRXSTi on 06/30/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Subaru Outback Wagon VDC AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This is my 7th Subaru, and by far the best made and engineered of all of them. No rattles, squeaks, grinding, smoking as of 32000 miles. The VDC is all about the motor, VERY smooth throughout rev range, boxer H6 like a "Porcha", tranmission well matched and downshifts without hesitation. Tip- take the spring on the muffler bypass and reverse it, it allows full flow of exhaust and gives you the distinct pleasure of hearing the engine note at all throttle settings, plus increases the MPG and acceleration.

Reliability of McIntosh Stereo
By jcborgeson on 06/25/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Subaru Outback Wagon VDC AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This is my first Subaru. Great highway cruiser, very quiet. I am puzzled by the reviews that complain of wind noise. ItÂ’s quieter than my Jag XJR. I've measured with a sound meter to confirm. Reliability is good with 20,400 miles. Service has been excellent. The one problem has been the McIntosh stereo. We are on our third, waiting for the fourth. The system sounds great but reliability is awful. I've been told that it is really a Clarion head with McIntosh trim. On the plus side, the AWD system is superb, far better than the Volvo XC70 it replaces. I have been pretty amazed at the slop, ice and snow this car can move through safely.

LOVE IT!
By JenJ on 09/28/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Subaru Outback Wagon VDC AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

We love this car. Plenty of room for a family of 4. Stereo is great. Much more power than our old Subaru. Don't really need the moon-roofs, but the kids think they're cool :) Had to laugh on a recent trip to Vermont, saw at least one in EVERY parking lot. Can't wait for snow this winter.

best ever
By robert ranallo on 07/04/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Subaru Outback Wagon VDC AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

All wheel drive is execptional. You can take this car anyhwere, anytime in any weather with confidence. The handling is amazing with the all wheel drive coupled with the VDC at any speed.

Subaru takes a step up.
By Docaloha on 06/28/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Subaru Outback Wagon VDC AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I have been a Subaru fan for about 15 years, but felt it was always underpowered. The new H6 solves the problem nicely. The car is very smooth, and glides through traffic. My wife has a new Subaru Legacy sedan, and whenever she or my daugther take my car, they always remark on how much better my Outback handles, and how smooth it is. While it lacks some of the luxury features of the next class up, pricewise, it does have the best of them including heated seats, great stereo, very comfortable wheel, and auto climate control.

the best subie?? ( WRX !! )
By douglas dubois on 05/31/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Subaru Outback Wagon VDC AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Subaru's luxury car. have done over 22,000 miles and it has not missed a beat. Mobil 1 every 7500 miles, gas and rotate the tires.....thats all it needs. It's fast when you want it and cruises effortlessly all day at highway speeds and more if you don't use the cruise. Heated seats are great, handles snow (what snow!!) and stereo is one of the best. It does need a 5 spd auto box to take better advantage of the 6.

MOST RELIABLE ALL WEATHER CAR
By BEV on 05/22/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Subaru Outback Wagon VDC AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This is our 3rd Subaru after leaving Mercedes in our past. We have found reliablity and safety of the Subaru never disappointing.The car handled well in deep snow and slush on the highway. The dash is well designed and everything works well all the time.No paint problems,no engine problems, just no complaints. The price is right for a great car.