2002 Subaru Outback Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Outback model:
Canadian 6 cyl H6 3.0 model wonder!
By duke_wa on 10/07/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Subaru Outback Wagon L.L. Bean Edition AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Our Candian edition model of 3.0 H6 Outback is close to the L.L. Bean model, but doesn't have two-tone leather, it just has the monotone leather and no L.L. Bean logos. Love the cold weather package features. Don't have the Mcintosh stereo, but the upgraded weather band stereo is still pretty decent. Quality throughout and love the power and smoothness from the 6 cylinder engine. This is our second Outback. Our previous one was the 2.5 litre 1998 4- cyl.

Smooth 6 cylinder Outback
By duke on 06/02/10 12:48 PM (PDT)

2002 Subaru Outback Wagon L.L. Bean Edition AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Recently purchased the H6 3.0 liter model of Outback wagon and was very impressed by the smoothness of the engine and its power, compared to the 2.5 liter engine. Interior is very tasteful and has a nice level of quality throughout. Sometimes the transmission hunts for the right gear, I have noticed.

Great car until it hit 100k miles
By bartemaeus on 05/28/09 10:06 AM (PDT)

2002 Subaru Outback Wagon L.L. Bean Edition AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Up until the 100k mark, the car was flawless. But after that it went downhill. The transmission leaked and cost $2k to fix, the belt broke at least twice, belt pulleys had to be replaced twice, and the A/C compressor died. That was the final straw and we traded it in. I had hoped I would get a few more thousand miles out of the car. It was still a great car to drive, smooth on the highway, and never got stuck in snow.

Great Car
By larry on 10/09/08 20:36 PM (PDT)

2002 Subaru Outback Wagon L.L. Bean Edition AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Very happy with this car. Excellent build quality, pick up and handling. Very reliable and with snow tires, unstoppable. Winter package especially appreciated. Excellent cabin comfort and cargo capacity. This is our second Subaru and the ownership experience has been pleasant for both. Only nits are the crappy front sunroof and the climate control system is annoying. we have 60K trouble free miles so far. We opted for a new CRV this round but will keep an eye on Subaru when we sell this beast in a few years

LL Bean Still Strong After 6 Years
By Matt on 05/19/08 07:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Subaru Outback Wagon L.L. Bean Edition AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

My Subaru Outback LL Bean is still running perfectly after 6 years and 90,000 miles. I have never had any mechanical problems. The car is awesome in the snow and rain, is actually fun to drive for a wagon and has decent acceleration. Very smooth on the highway. The biggest flaws in this car are 1) the undersized front rotors (I have replaced them twice). This was never a safety issue, just an annoyance. 2) The wind noise from the front driver window. Never leaks, just whistles unless you fiddle with the weatherstripping a bit. Gas mileage is decent (for AWD) at 23 mpg average and a highway mileage around 26 (at ~70mph).

I Love this car.
By terry sillins on 08/06/07 20:16 PM (PDT)

2002 Subaru Outback Wagon L.L. Bean Edition AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I live in Pittsburgh Pa. As we all know the snow and steep hills during the winter mounths can be dangerous. Since I have been driving this AWD it is like night and day. I can always get where I want to, no matter what the weather is.

Solid reliable wagon
By Bgor on 04/06/07 13:21 PM (PDT)

2002 Subaru Outback Wagon L.L. Bean Edition AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

The LL Bean edition is a great looking station wagon. Solid drive train. Needed brakes after 40K miles, and the heated seats are lukewarm. All other mfgr promises were delivered! Great value, and the 4-wheel drive works in all weather.

Good job overall
By NTB125 on 03/18/06 20:14 PM (PST)

2002 Subaru Outback Wagon L.L. Bean Edition AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Generally speaking I think it's an excellent car. Overall quality is very good. Mileage also excellent at low 20's. Great looking car as well. Nothing is perfect but my complaints are minor; such as the rear view mirror being a little in your vision field, no power port and the factory keyless entry not having an auto lock feature. Climate control seems to have a mind of its own and adjusts the fan speed when it wants to. I also have a Forester and nothing here would stop me from buying again.

Anti-Lock Brake Death Trap
By Edward on 12/27/05 00:12 AM (PST)

2002 Subaru Outback Wagon L.L. Bean Edition AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

The anti-lock brakes take way too long to stop the car. They are especially bad when the temperature is below freezing. Two different dealers told me there was nothing wrong with the ABS. I love everything else about the car, but I am purchasing a second car to drive in the cold Utah winters. I am planning to keep the car and drive it during the other eight months of the year. Don't let the "winter wonderland" TV commercials fool you!

L.L. Bean Outback aka 'my last Subaru'
By dan on 10/05/05 14:27 PM (PDT)

2002 Subaru Outback Wagon L.L. Bean Edition AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

The transmission was replaced at 20k miles and the brakes soon after (under new car warranty). Apparently the pads were replaced and the rotors turned. I was getting a lot of front end shimmy at 30k miles so the dealer decided to turn the drums again. I was just in again at 50k with the same problem and had to pay for new rotors and pads (despite having the extended warranty and the dealer knowing full well this is an on-going problem) An independent mechanic was telling me that the rotors they use on Subaru are actually too thin to be turned and he couldn't believe they turned them once no less twice! The ventilation fan has developed quite a rumble but I was told this is "normal".