2002 Subaru Outback Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Outback model:
Hypermiling My Subaru Outback
By Greg Gorgeous on 05/10/09 01:24 AM (PDT)

2002 Subaru Outback Wagon Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I first test drove a 1997 Subaru Outback Wagon and found the smooth ride uncanny since we also owned a Lexus LS 400. I finally purchased a 2002 Outback Loaded. The Automatic Transmission is smooth and lends itself to Hypermiling... use of Neutral position when coasting when approaching Lights, on Descending Grades etc. Re-engages Drive effortlessly and smoothly. Attained approx 35.8 MPG with room for lots of improvement. The Ride is excellent and Acceleration is brisk. My next Outback will probably be Turbo Charged or Hybrid when avail.

Worst car we have ever owned
By Nancy on 12/04/08 15:19 PM (PST)

2002 Subaru Outback Wagon Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

We have gone through brakes like someone goes through socks - not kidding. At 120,000 we had to replace the head gaskets and at that time they said we need new valves. At 130,000 we had to replace both catalytic converters. We can't sell the car without acknowledging the valve problem so I feel we are stuck with it. We will have a completely new car before long and I wonder how long these parts will last. Going online it is evident that some of these problems are ongoing. Subaru has to know and they are not backing their product. Thousands of dollars later we are STUCK! We would NEVER buy another Subaru.

My 2nd Subie
By schmidie on 06/19/08 11:20 AM (PDT)

2002 Subaru Outback Wagon Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I just bought my 2002 Subaru Outback after trading in my older 1994 Legacy wagon. I wanted another, newer version of the car I had loved to drive for years. I ended up getting the Limited version of my Outback, with leather seats, steering wheel, and shifter. The seats, outside mirrors are both heated, and the car comes with important saftey features like ABS, airbags for driver and passenger, daytime running lights, and of course AWD.

No complaints until it hit 65,000 miles
By zesty2b on 01/02/08 19:13 PM (PST)

2002 Subaru Outback Wagon Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Slow to accelerate and brake, uncomfortable back seat. Have replaced brakes twice, oxygen sensors, exhaust system, two sets of tires, suspension, clutch, and still not running right at 75,000 miles. Driver side wind noise developed at 50,000 miles. New clutch even more sensitive and prone to slip than the original. Waiting to see if the head gasket will leak in another 15,000 miles or so. This is the 4th Subaru wagon I have owned. The 87 automatic was underpowered; the 92 manual was the best; I traded the 99 before 40,000 after mechanical problems. The 02 Limited is the most luxurious, but not very durable.

Almost a Great Car
By DCU on 05/23/07 11:18 AM (PDT)

2002 Subaru Outback Wagon Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Had the clutch "shudder" early and dealer eventually fixed it after repeated failed attempts to duplicate the problem. No problems since it was replaced. Wind noise on highway is annoying. Leg room in rear seats is too small. Mileage hasn't been up to advertised. Never gotten more than 26 mpg and usually it's only 20-22, even on highway. Great in snow, suspension and tire life are fantastic, extremely versatile, brakes are decent, winter package and amenities make this a real enjoyable car overall and I have found it reliable.

disappointed
By d barrow on 01/06/06 20:52 PM (PST)

2002 Subaru Outback Wagon Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Head gaskets leaking coolant and will not cover under warranty at 80,000 miles -- Subaru has recall/bulletin for same problem on on other VINs but will only cover 50% of an over $1,000 repair. Dual stage rear sunroof liner jams and won't open and won't cover this common problem. Cheap plastic rear cupholders broke and over $65 to repair. Not happy with a vehicle that is expected to run to 200,000 miles!

been burned
By Tmad on 07/11/05 23:30 PM (PDT)

2002 Subaru Outback Wagon Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

It's good for hauling things when you put down the back seat. The front seats are not very comfortable on longer drives. If you are tall your head hits the sun roof in the back. Worst of all, I have only 76,000 mostly freeway miles on mine and the head gasket is leaking, causing over heating. I only hope that the head gaskets aren't cracked or the block. This is apparently a very common problem on this car. There are three including mine at an authorized repair store where I had it towed. The cost is going to be $3,000 at least. The dealer requires it to be fixed there. Supposedly they are going to cover everything. Towing and rental car too I'm bargaining for.

Not impressed
By AUDI on 08/19/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Subaru Outback Wagon Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

We bought it for the AWD for VT winters & mud season. Performs well in the elements but not an enjoyable ride otherwise. The clutch is difficult and the interior seating is small & narrow. Have had to replace the breaks several times. Check engine light comes on frequently. Repairs have gotten expensive - one of the worst cars I've owned. I miss my Honda!!

So-So performance, scary clutch
By clutchless on 05/23/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Subaru Outback Wagon Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Shortly after purchase has problems getting clutch into 1st/2nd gear. Bad chattering. Tough to drive in stop and go traffic. Clutch shudder made it unreliable busy intersections were getting scary. Dealer where purchased "could not duplicate" denied any problems. Was able to get another dealer to replace clutch assembly. HUGE improvement immediately but problem began again about 12k later. New dealer not that interested to replace again. Worsening clutch and warranty period approaching I traded in for an automatic Forester. Feel like I lost $, and Had to trade down to get rid of t

Faulty Clutch
By moohoggle on 04/28/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Subaru Outback Wagon Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

2 months after taking delivery of this Outback, the clutch began to chatter badly in 1st gear (less than 2000 miles). My wife and I took it back to the dealer where we bought the car from 3 times, and each time they said that this is a normal condition with manual transmission Subarus. We pursued a second opinion at another Subaru dealership and they agreed, that this was indeed, not normal. We then opened a case number with Subaru Corp., and it took 8 months to re-engineer and manufacture the replacement parts (was initially told it would take 4 weeks). It's been 3 weeks since our car was fixed under warranty and for now, it's tolerable.