Used 2002 Subaru Outback Wagon Consumer Reviews - 124 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Subaru Outback Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Outback model:

The best vehicle I have ever owned.
By Sara

2002 Subaru Outback Wagon AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this vehicle in 2012, it was already 10 years old. The previous owner had been great to it, it only had 94,000 miles on it and looked practically new aside from a scrape or two on the bumper. I got it when I did because I needed a reliable vehicle because I was going off to college, and the SUV I had been driving was on it's last legs. I also live in the mountains, and was going to school in the mountains as well, so I needed a vehicle that could handle any weather situation, but also didn't eat gas.

This vehicle was perfect. It's like a hybrid of an SUV and a sedan. It handles like a dream. I've driven it through snow, ice, extreme rain storms, gravel, mud, you name it, the Outback can handle it. Since purchasing, I have put nearly 100,000 miles on this baby and I have yet to have a single mechanical issue with it, aside from the usual tune ups of getting the brakes or tires changed. I practically lived in my vehicle, all except for sleep, for one semester in particular, and I can safely say it is very comfortable. I always feel safe in it. It has a great sound system and fairly good, though not the most powerful, AC. Cup holders are less of an issue in this model then I've seen it be in other Subaru's.

It's true that it isn't the most attractive of cars, but for the vehicle type, it certainly isn't hard on the eyes either. I love this vehicle and would recommend it to anyone who lives in a climate with lots of weather extremes, or for anyone who just loves to explore the world. I will drive this car till it won't drive anymore.

never again!!!!
By trish

2002 Subaru Outback Wagon AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Bought 2002 suburu outback limited used from original owner. Had it checked by my mechanic and everything was looked good. 140k miles for $5800. Nice looking car too. Ran great for a few months (2 to be exact). It has been a money sucker non stop for the past 2 years! first was something with the Manifold gasket and oxygen sensor $1150 later. The next big one was an oil leak under the head gasket with some "other things" needing fixing $3100 later. A few little things in between that cost couple of hundred $$. Latest was a break down on the highway with a "fried alternator" and a few months after that steering didnt feel right and my temp guage needle was bouncing from normal to HOT. Turns out coolant leak from the radiator. However, I never saw fluid under the car but the mechanic tells me it is leaking somewhere in the car and going where it shoud not be. Was hesistant to even fix it and told me I should just buy a new car. He did an affordable "patch job" for me for $500 as apposed to fixing the problem for $2000 plus as I NEED my car. I bought this car only because I heard they handle extremely well in the snow and this is quite true--- she does But it STOPS right there! This used car has cost me $10,000 within 2 years. This car is a NIGHTMARE but i need to get about and new car not an option now. I want to cry! :( STAY AWAY FROM SUBURU!!!!!

2 blown head gaskets 20k miles
By derek_someda

2002 Subaru Outback Wagon AWD 4dr Wagon w/Weather Pkg (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

at 2.5 yrs noticed coolant drops in driveway.
Problem progressed to wet spot.
I thought no big deal that a hose needed to be replaced or clamp tightened. At 3yrs checked under car and found both head gaskets were leaking oil and water.
Subaru was out of warranty and said my VIN was not amongst those recalled. Changing the gaskets would be over 3k.
They sold me a 6 oz bottle of Subie coolant stop leak that did nothing.
I used barrs stop leak with nano tech the last several years.
Now it clogged the overfill hose so I cleaned it out. At 60k miles the oil is indicating overfill so I assume the water is now crossing into the engine block and have to get rid of the vehicle.

Odd that they stock Snake oil and only sold it for 2 bucks unless they know that it is defective. Last I checked 22% of these engines had head gasket leaks.

Excellent car
By yuba4

2002 Subaru Outback Wagon AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Suby has been reliable and a perfect fit for our requirements.
Bought new in 2002, it now has almost 200k miles and is still a great car.
Replaced head gaskets at 150k (common problem), but otherwise not many repairs.
Her features and capabilities are a perfect match for our family of four.

Ride is nice, drives like a BMW - chassis feels solid and one-piece. Engine is smooth and linear. Can't make her spin out even if you try - the safety nannies are very dialed in. This is a remarkably stable and neutral car - probably an excellent choice for someone who is uncomfortable with or anxious about driving.

Better fuel economy, diesel option

One helluva great car
By Snowchaser

2002 Subaru Outback Wagon Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I am by no means a conservative driver. And this car keeps up with me without even breaking a sweat. the H6 is an insanely powerful engine. The snow and ice in this car are not even a problem. It powers through it like its not even there. Great space for over night ski trips. Great looking. comfortable. The best car i've ever owned

Space, looks, comfortable, great off road and in the snow.

Audio System. bit more ground clearance. ABS system needs to be rethought.