Used 2002 Subaru Outback Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Subaru Outback - Consumer Reviews

2002 Subaru Outback Wagon

View reviews for a specific Outback model:

2 blown head gaskets 20k miles
By derek_someda

2002 Subaru Outback Wagon AWD 4dr Wagon w/Weather Pkg (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

at 2.5 yrs noticed coolant drops in driveway. Problem progressed to wet spot. I thought no big deal that a hose needed to be replaced or clamp tightened. At 3yrs checked under car and found both head gaskets were leaking oil and water. Subaru was out of warranty and said my VIN was not amongst those recalled. Changing the gaskets would be over 3k. They sold me a 6 oz bottle of Subie coolant stop leak that did nothing. I used barrs stop leak with nano tech the last several years. Now it clogged the overfill hose so I cleaned it out. At 60k miles the oil is indicating overfill so I assume the water is now crossing into the engine block and have to get rid of the vehicle.

Suggested Improvements

Odd that they stock Snake oil and only sold it for 2 bucks unless they know that it is defective. Last I checked 22% of these engines had head gasket leaks.

Excellent car
By yuba4

2002 Subaru Outback Wagon AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Suby has been reliable and a perfect fit for our requirements. Bought new in 2002, it now has almost 200k miles and is still a great car. Replaced head gaskets at 150k (common problem), but otherwise not many repairs. Her features and capabilities are a perfect match for our family of four.

Favorite Features

Ride is nice, drives like a BMW - chassis feels solid and one-piece. Engine is smooth and linear. Can't make her spin out even if you try - the safety nannies are very dialed in. This is a remarkably stable and neutral car - probably an excellent choice for someone who is uncomfortable with or anxious about driving.

Suggested Improvements

Better fuel economy, diesel option

One helluva great car
By Snowchaser

2002 Subaru Outback Wagon Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I am by no means a conservative driver. And this car keeps up with me without even breaking a sweat. the H6 is an insanely powerful engine. The snow and ice in this car are not even a problem. It powers through it like its not even there. Great space for over night ski trips. Great looking. comfortable. The best car i've ever owned

Favorite Features

Space, looks, comfortable, great off road and in the snow.

Suggested Improvements

Audio System. bit more ground clearance. ABS system needs to be rethought.

Head gasket nightmare
By speedballjet

2002 Subaru Outback Wagon AWD 4dr Wagon w/Weather Pkg (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I purchased my 2002 Outback new 2/2002. During warranty, the automatic seat broke & would no longer adjust for height. It was fixed free of charge. Soon after warranty expired, the same problem. I've never fixed it because the cost is over $600-- ridiculous. I've only got 65,000 miles, just put new tires on the car, and my mechanic informs me that I have an oil leak and need head gaskets replaced. He showed me a Subaru Service Bulletin which extended the warranty to 8 yrs and 100,000 miles if vehicle leaking coolant. Long story short, even though I wasn't yet leaking coolant, Subaru agreed to pay for 1/2 cost including head gaskets, water pump, and seals. Cost to me $800. I still love the car.

Favorite Features

I love the heated seats. Love the versatility. Back seat sits higher than front so viewing is extra good for rear seat passengers. Excellent audio system w/CD and 6 speakers.

Suggested Improvements

Fix the front seat so it operated like its supposed to. Fix the head gasket problem or I'm not buying a Subaru again.

Canadian 6 cyl H6 3.0 model wonder!
By duke_wa

2002 Subaru Outback Wagon L.L. Bean Edition AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Our Candian edition model of 3.0 H6 Outback is close to the L.L. Bean model, but doesn't have two-tone leather, it just has the monotone leather and no L.L. Bean logos. Love the cold weather package features. Don't have the Mcintosh stereo, but the upgraded weather band stereo is still pretty decent. Quality throughout and love the power and smoothness from the 6 cylinder engine. This is our second Outback. Our previous one was the 2.5 litre 1998 4- cyl.

Favorite Features

Quality, interior, momo steering wheel with real mahogany, smoothness, power and refinement of engine, all-wheel drive, good auto climate control system. Decent gas mileage.

Suggested Improvements

Needs a bit more room for driver and also in the back seat. Tall people beware, headroom is tight. My wife is 5'0", so she has no problem. Get rid of gated shifter, I notice that someone else mentioned that. Not fond of auto door locks when you take the car out of Park.