Used 2002 Subaru Outback H6-3.0 Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Subaru Outback Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Outback model:

Outback VDC H6 wagon
By FRM

2002 Subaru Outback Sedan H6-3.0 AWD 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I have always admired Subaru for their AWD which fascinated me back in the 70s. Finally I bought one and it had the McIntosh promo stereo CD player. This stereo has rekindled my love for music as I had forgotten what beautiful music sounds like. The special sound design of the interior contributed to the greatness of the stereo. I have since listened to other systems in more expensive cars that cannot compare. The car has power with the 212hp 6 and is quiet probably because of the special sound treatment mentioned already. I have not had problems at all and the AWD can go through snow like it is not there. Ice is tough for any car. The only con is wind noise but I am well satisfied.

Reliability; Wagon aspect - ability to haul things - it's almost like having a pickup too. Power of six cylinder. Sound system; nice interior; nice handling does not feel "loose" or sloppy.

The only thing Subaru failed on is wind noise. Too bad as the car would have been perfect. My previous cars were Saturn S Wagon and Honda Accord sedan.

Love it.
By Kent

2002 Subaru Outback Sedan H6-3.0 AWD 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Had the H6 sedan for almost 6 months now and love it. Handles great, rides great, and fun to drive. Only issue is that my breaks squeal loudly after they get warmed up and no dealership yet can figure it out. Ugh. Other than that I am sold on my Subaru! Absolutely a great car. I drive a ton for work and I am always comfortable and never stiffen up driving long road trips.

Cold weather package, seating comfort, handling, styling ... and on and on!

Trunk pop on the key fob, more interior storage spaces in the front.

love this car
By jano

2002 Subaru Outback Sedan H6-3.0 AWD 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I could sell Subaru's if I ever needed a job. This car drives like melted butter in smooth performance. It is a fine highway vehicle in mountains as well as long TX stretches. The solidity & quiet drive are something I appreciate most after driving a Ford Explorer, priced about the same. I would like to have a keyless remote that would allow access were I to lock keys inside; other than that, I have no complaints about this vehicle. I am a tried & true Subaru fan. The gas mileage will have to improve on all vehicles in this country. Subaru will most likely help to lead the way here, but I'm getting 18-24 currently.

Beautiful wooden steering wheel, comfy seats w/multiple adjustments, tight, quiet, solid drive. ALPINE STEREO!

Spoiler on back of sedan makes backing up a little challenging with height of trunk vs. driver's seat. Would like more storage in console or someplace. Need multiple disk cd changer.

Subaru's are great cars
By Steven

2002 Subaru Outback Sedan H6-3.0 AWD 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This is our first subaru with VDC. It is fantastic. The car is wonderful with the only complaint being the power band really kicks in at 4000 rpm and above, which is a bit high. Under this it is marginal for a six cylinder. It is nice to own a car that does not look like everything else on the road.

VDC, AWD, Six cylinder. Heated seats, windshield, rear window and mirrors. Outside styling.

Lower the power band to 2500 RPM. The seats in this range of model years are stiff and short

Our 5th Subaru
By CMartin

2002 Subaru Outback Sedan H6-3.0 AWD 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I love my Black & Gold 3.0 AWD Outback Sedan! It's fun to drive, and handles EXTREMELY well in snow and rain. It's the most comfortable car I've ever driven for long trips. 600-700 miles in a day, and I still feel great at the end of the day's drive. I have only one complaint that my Service Department has no answer -- the heating/cooling system. Seems there's no happy medium for it. Hopefully Subaru will come up with a fix soon! We've been a Subaru family for a long time. I drove a 2000 Outback Sedan before getting the 2002, with the bigger engine. Glad I made the upgrade, except -- give me my old air conditioner/heater!!!

Dimming rear-view mirror, cold weather package with mirror & wiper heaters, heated seats. I love the way it handles! Very fun to drive.

Heating and cooling system -- it definitely needs a relook for design and performance.