2002 Subaru Outback Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Outback model:
A Thin Line between Love and Hate
By liz on 12/13/09 13:42 PM (PST)

2002 Subaru Outback Sedan Limited AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I knew I wanted my Subaru OUtback Sedan for a while. I was in love with it when I got her. Had to replace brakes and rotors, expensive but routine. Everything was great until 95k mi, had oil leaking everywhere. Subaru did cam seals, valve seals, timing belt (it was leaking on it too) and some other stuff for $650. A month later engine light came on - catalytic conv. Got a 2nd opinion on the cat. conv. and they found a leak in the head gasket. I'm sick to my stomach I love this car...never a problem in bad weather...I don't want to get rid of it but after the reviews idk. I may not be able to afford all the up keep. I would buy a new outback if they came out with a new sedan...without the problems

Honda - Next Time
By Ex-Coloradian on 06/17/09 07:13 AM (PDT)

2002 Subaru Outback Sedan Limited AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

OK, I am not a car person. Had an Accord for about 10 years then wanted a larger (similarly reliable) car that could handle snow, etc. Bought an 02 Subaru Outback in 03. Last year at roughly 70,000 miles, I had to put $2,700 in it - head gasket (engine overheating) and miscellaneous maintenance. This winter was cold, and then I got the overpowering gasoline smell in the car on cold days - apparently another known problem. I basically love the car (style, size, driving) but will drive this until it costs me too much not too. Shame on Subaru for not fixing known problems - (head gasket and fuel stink in cold weather), I would not recommend it nor will I buy one again.

Outback VDC H6 wagon
By FRM on 12/08/06 21:52 PM (PST)

2002 Subaru Outback Sedan H6-3.0 AWD 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I have always admired Subaru for their AWD which fascinated me back in the 70s. Finally I bought one and it had the McIntosh promo stereo CD player. This stereo has rekindled my love for music as I had forgotten what beautiful music sounds like. The special sound design of the interior contributed to the greatness of the stereo. I have since listened to other systems in more expensive cars that cannot compare. The car has power with the 212hp 6 and is quiet probably because of the special sound treatment mentioned already. I have not had problems at all and the AWD can go through snow like it is not there. Ice is tough for any car. The only con is wind noise but I am well satisfied.

Love it.
By Kent on 12/21/05 18:44 PM (PST)

2002 Subaru Outback Sedan H6-3.0 AWD 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Had the H6 sedan for almost 6 months now and love it. Handles great, rides great, and fun to drive. Only issue is that my breaks squeal loudly after they get warmed up and no dealership yet can figure it out. Ugh. Other than that I am sold on my Subaru! Absolutely a great car. I drive a ton for work and I am always comfortable and never stiffen up driving long road trips.

love this car
By jano on 12/05/05 00:11 AM (PST)

2002 Subaru Outback Sedan H6-3.0 AWD 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I could sell Subaru's if I ever needed a job. This car drives like melted butter in smooth performance. It is a fine highway vehicle in mountains as well as long TX stretches. The solidity & quiet drive are something I appreciate most after driving a Ford Explorer, priced about the same. I would like to have a keyless remote that would allow access were I to lock keys inside; other than that, I have no complaints about this vehicle. I am a tried & true Subaru fan. The gas mileage will have to improve on all vehicles in this country. Subaru will most likely help to lead the way here, but I'm getting 18-24 currently.

Subaru's are great cars
By Steven on 12/12/04 19:30 PM (PST)

2002 Subaru Outback Sedan H6-3.0 AWD 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This is our first subaru with VDC. It is fantastic. The car is wonderful with the only complaint being the power band really kicks in at 4000 rpm and above, which is a bit high. Under this it is marginal for a six cylinder. It is nice to own a car that does not look like everything else on the road.

Subaru is fun to drive
By matt saxon on 04/08/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Subaru Outback Sedan VDC AWD 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This has been without a doubt the best car I have ever owned. It has everything anyone could want living in the midwest or any snow belt area. It rides very well, and feels comfortable, for a rugid vehical. The McIntosh audio system is a fabulous feature. Looks, performance and comfort/safety. Its well rounded and complete.

Our 5th Subaru
By CMartin on 03/26/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Subaru Outback Sedan H6-3.0 AWD 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I love my Black & Gold 3.0 AWD Outback Sedan! It's fun to drive, and handles EXTREMELY well in snow and rain. It's the most comfortable car I've ever driven for long trips. 600-700 miles in a day, and I still feel great at the end of the day's drive. I have only one complaint that my Service Department has no answer -- the heating/cooling system. Seems there's no happy medium for it. Hopefully Subaru will come up with a fix soon! We've been a Subaru family for a long time. I drove a 2000 Outback Sedan before getting the 2002, with the bigger engine. Glad I made the upgrade, except -- give me my old air conditioner/heater!!!

Loving it
By Joe Lucian on 07/29/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Subaru Outback Sedan H6-3.0 AWD 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Love it. Nothing out there touches this thing for build and quality.

Quality
By Area51 on 04/21/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Subaru Outback Sedan VDC AWD 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

1st 6 cylinder Subaru I've owned. Justifies the higher price absolutely! By far the best and safest Subaru I've owned. A"Can Do" sedan in the SUV world. You own the pavement in comfort in this car.