Used 2002 Subaru Outback Sedan Consumer Reviews - 16 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Subaru Outback Sedan - Consumer Reviews

2002 Subaru Outback Sedan

View reviews for a specific Outback model:

A Thin Line between Love and Hate
By liz

2002 Subaru Outback Sedan Limited AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I knew I wanted my Subaru OUtback Sedan for a while. I was in love with it when I got her. Had to replace brakes and rotors, expensive but routine. Everything was great until 95k mi, had oil leaking everywhere. Subaru did cam seals, valve seals, timing belt (it was leaking on it too) and some other stuff for $650. A month later engine light came on - catalytic conv. Got a 2nd opinion on the cat. conv. and they found a leak in the head gasket. I'm sick to my stomach I love this car...never a problem in bad weather...I don't want to get rid of it but after the reviews idk. I may not be able to afford all the up keep. I would buy a new outback if they came out with a new sedan...without the problems

all wheel drive...sporty...handles good...all weather package

Cheaper maintenance... window covers... not too much... I really did love my car but it is a really expensive date!!

Honda - Next Time
By Ex-Coloradian

2002 Subaru Outback Sedan Limited AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

OK, I am not a car person. Had an Accord for about 10 years then wanted a larger (similarly reliable) car that could handle snow, etc. Bought an 02 Subaru Outback in 03. Last year at roughly 70,000 miles, I had to put $2,700 in it - head gasket (engine overheating) and miscellaneous maintenance. This winter was cold, and then I got the overpowering gasoline smell in the car on cold days - apparently another known problem. I basically love the car (style, size, driving) but will drive this until it costs me too much not too. Shame on Subaru for not fixing known problems - (head gasket and fuel stink in cold weather), I would not recommend it nor will I buy one again.

handling, size, style

Fix known potential problems

Outback VDC H6 wagon
By FRM

2002 Subaru Outback Sedan H6-3.0 AWD 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I have always admired Subaru for their AWD which fascinated me back in the 70s. Finally I bought one and it had the McIntosh promo stereo CD player. This stereo has rekindled my love for music as I had forgotten what beautiful music sounds like. The special sound design of the interior contributed to the greatness of the stereo. I have since listened to other systems in more expensive cars that cannot compare. The car has power with the 212hp 6 and is quiet probably because of the special sound treatment mentioned already. I have not had problems at all and the AWD can go through snow like it is not there. Ice is tough for any car. The only con is wind noise but I am well satisfied.

Reliability; Wagon aspect - ability to haul things - it's almost like having a pickup too. Power of six cylinder. Sound system; nice interior; nice handling does not feel "loose" or sloppy.

The only thing Subaru failed on is wind noise. Too bad as the car would have been perfect. My previous cars were Saturn S Wagon and Honda Accord sedan.

Love it.
By Kent

2002 Subaru Outback Sedan H6-3.0 AWD 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Had the H6 sedan for almost 6 months now and love it. Handles great, rides great, and fun to drive. Only issue is that my breaks squeal loudly after they get warmed up and no dealership yet can figure it out. Ugh. Other than that I am sold on my Subaru! Absolutely a great car. I drive a ton for work and I am always comfortable and never stiffen up driving long road trips.

Cold weather package, seating comfort, handling, styling ... and on and on!

Trunk pop on the key fob, more interior storage spaces in the front.

love this car
By jano

2002 Subaru Outback Sedan H6-3.0 AWD 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I could sell Subaru's if I ever needed a job. This car drives like melted butter in smooth performance. It is a fine highway vehicle in mountains as well as long TX stretches. The solidity & quiet drive are something I appreciate most after driving a Ford Explorer, priced about the same. I would like to have a keyless remote that would allow access were I to lock keys inside; other than that, I have no complaints about this vehicle. I am a tried & true Subaru fan. The gas mileage will have to improve on all vehicles in this country. Subaru will most likely help to lead the way here, but I'm getting 18-24 currently.

Beautiful wooden steering wheel, comfy seats w/multiple adjustments, tight, quiet, solid drive. ALPINE STEREO!

Spoiler on back of sedan makes backing up a little challenging with height of trunk vs. driver's seat. Would like more storage in console or someplace. Need multiple disk cd changer.