Used 2002 Subaru Outback Limited Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Subaru Outback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Outback model:

A Thin Line between Love and Hate
By liz

2002 Subaru Outback Limited AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I knew I wanted my Subaru OUtback Sedan for a while. I was in love with it when I got her. Had to replace brakes and rotors, expensive but routine. Everything was great until 95k mi, had oil leaking everywhere. Subaru did cam seals, valve seals, timing belt (it was leaking on it too) and some other stuff for $650. A month later engine light came on - catalytic conv. Got a 2nd opinion on the cat. conv. and they found a leak in the head gasket. I'm sick to my stomach I love this car...never a problem in bad weather...I don't want to get rid of it but after the reviews idk. I may not be able to afford all the up keep. I would buy a new outback if they came out with a new sedan...without the problems

all wheel drive...sporty...handles good...all weather package

Cheaper maintenance... window covers... not too much... I really did love my car but it is a really expensive date!!

Honda - Next Time
By Ex-Coloradian

2002 Subaru Outback Limited AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

OK, I am not a car person. Had an Accord for about 10 years then wanted a larger (similarly reliable) car that could handle snow, etc. Bought an 02 Subaru Outback in 03. Last year at roughly 70,000 miles, I had to put $2,700 in it - head gasket (engine overheating) and miscellaneous maintenance. This winter was cold, and then I got the overpowering gasoline smell in the car on cold days - apparently another known problem. I basically love the car (style, size, driving) but will drive this until it costs me too much not too. Shame on Subaru for not fixing known problems - (head gasket and fuel stink in cold weather), I would not recommend it nor will I buy one again.

handling, size, style

Fix known potential problems

GREAT!
By Outback Sedan Driver

2002 Subaru Outback Limited AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

The Outback Sedan 4 cyl is great. When i bought it, the 6er was not out yet.

HID lights. For nearly $31,000 this car ought to come with some sort of High Intensity Discharge lighting system. or at least quality PIAA bulbs in stock, it is a Japanese car you know.