Used 2002 Subaru Outback Limited Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Subaru Outback - Consumer Reviews

2002 Subaru Outback

View reviews for a specific Outback model:

Hypermiling My Subaru Outback
By Greg Gorgeous

2002 Subaru Outback Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I first test drove a 1997 Subaru Outback Wagon and found the smooth ride uncanny since we also owned a Lexus LS 400. I finally purchased a 2002 Outback Loaded. The Automatic Transmission is smooth and lends itself to Hypermiling... use of Neutral position when coasting when approaching Lights, on Descending Grades etc. Re-engages Drive effortlessly and smoothly. Attained approx 35.8 MPG with room for lots of improvement. The Ride is excellent and Acceleration is brisk. My next Outback will probably be Turbo Charged or Hybrid when avail.

Favorite Features

Auto Transmission for Hypermiling, Handles Snow Like a Dream. Smooth 4 Cyl Engine and Great Gas Mileage. Love that Outback Ride.

Suggested Improvements

Six Speed Auto Transmission, Hybrid Technology, or Shut off Gas Engine at Red Lights. Six Speed Engine that Shuts down Cylinders at Speeds over 50. More Cup Holders, Double Wishbone Suspension ala Honda for Improved Handling and Quick Maneuvering.

Worst car we have ever owned
By Nancy

2002 Subaru Outback Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

We have gone through brakes like someone goes through socks - not kidding. At 120,000 we had to replace the head gaskets and at that time they said we need new valves. At 130,000 we had to replace both catalytic converters. We can't sell the car without acknowledging the valve problem so I feel we are stuck with it. We will have a completely new car before long and I wonder how long these parts will last. Going online it is evident that some of these problems are ongoing. Subaru has to know and they are not backing their product. Thousands of dollars later we are STUCK! We would NEVER buy another Subaru.

Favorite Features

Handling in the snow and turning radius

Suggested Improvements

How about acknowledging when there are problems and backing their product.

My 2nd Subie
By schmidie

2002 Subaru Outback Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I just bought my 2002 Subaru Outback after trading in my older 1994 Legacy wagon. I wanted another, newer version of the car I had loved to drive for years. I ended up getting the Limited version of my Outback, with leather seats, steering wheel, and shifter. The seats, outside mirrors are both heated, and the car comes with important saftey features like ABS, airbags for driver and passenger, daytime running lights, and of course AWD.

Favorite Features

The things I like so far are how the dashboard has been updated since my old Subie, digital odometer, outside temperature gague, better stereo system, easier to clean seats and the wood trim around the dash.

Suggested Improvements

The car is slower out of the starting gate, due to more weight for the engine to overcome.

No complaints until it hit 65,000 miles
By zesty2b

2002 Subaru Outback Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Slow to accelerate and brake, uncomfortable back seat. Have replaced brakes twice, oxygen sensors, exhaust system, two sets of tires, suspension, clutch, and still not running right at 75,000 miles. Driver side wind noise developed at 50,000 miles. New clutch even more sensitive and prone to slip than the original. Waiting to see if the head gasket will leak in another 15,000 miles or so. This is the 4th Subaru wagon I have owned. The 87 automatic was underpowered; the 92 manual was the best; I traded the 99 before 40,000 after mechanical problems. The 02 Limited is the most luxurious, but not very durable.

Favorite Features

It handles snow SO well. Just add snow tires and you can go anywhere in the winter. The cold weather package is real nice, too, and it can carry a lot inside with the rear seat folded down - -more than most SUVs.

Suggested Improvements

Improve durability and reliability. Subarus used to last longer without needing major repairs. A real disappointment.

Almost a Great Car
By DCU

2002 Subaru Outback Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Had the clutch "shudder" early and dealer eventually fixed it after repeated failed attempts to duplicate the problem. No problems since it was replaced. Wind noise on highway is annoying. Leg room in rear seats is too small. Mileage hasn't been up to advertised. Never gotten more than 26 mpg and usually it's only 20-22, even on highway. Great in snow, suspension and tire life are fantastic, extremely versatile, brakes are decent, winter package and amenities make this a real enjoyable car overall and I have found it reliable.

Favorite Features

AWD, heated leather seats, plenty of trunk room, all and all a fun and reliable car to drive.

Suggested Improvements

More leg room in back.