Used 2002 Subaru Outback Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Subaru Outback - Consumer Reviews

2002 Subaru Outback

View reviews for a specific Outback model:

A bad car
By Dakota_Joe

2002 Subaru Outback AWD 4dr Wagon w/Weather Pkg (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

We bought our Outback in 2002. Just a couple of warnings to would-be buyers: A.) If you have long legs try sitting in the passenger seat before buying this car. You get to taste you knees. The passenger experience rivals that of a back seat passenger in a 1971 Mustang II. B) If you live in the country, on a gravel road DO NOT buy this car. Normal 25 MPH gravel road driving destroys the Outbackís front suspension. I guess that the Outback ainít built for the outback. The editors must live in big cities. C) This is certainly the most unreliable and expensive-to-maintain vehicle Iíve ever owned. Every breakdown is expensive and ours breaks down often.

Favorite Features

With Bridgestone Blizzaks it is great in the snow. We regularly plow through large snow drifts.

Suggested Improvements

Improve the reliability. It's just awful.

Never Again
By Rachael

2002 Subaru Outback AWD 4dr Wagon w/Weather Pkg (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Subaru with 40k miles on it 2 years ago, and this January it became a MONEY PIT...had a strong fuel smell and had dealer tighten plugs two times...the smell continued. I had my 60,000 tune up. Still smelled it. Found out my coolant was leaking, so I went in twice to have them put something in the car that would seal any leaks from the inside. Didn't work. Replaced my head gaskets, valve cover gaskets, the whole bit. NOW, I'm burning 1 quart of oil every two weeks, and replaced 2 wheel bearings. Heated windshield broke windshield both winters. Seats uncomfortable for long trips. LOVE THE CARGO SPACE!

Favorite Features

AWD, heated seats, temperature on dash, cargo space, drives like a car.

Suggested Improvements

If newer models haven't fixed these problems, they should be fixed. They are expensive!

a little dissapointed
By skillet1

2002 Subaru Outback AWD 4dr Wagon w/Weather Pkg (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

This is my first Subaru. A little dissapointed after all the great things I've heard. It has alot going for it but I feel it is way overpriced for what you get.$25k for cloth, manual, no moonroof, no homelink, only frt. airbags,anemic stereo, 4 cyl. w/ adequate power at best. Left front brake started squeaking after delivery and still sqeaks horribly. Found out they are notorious for squeaking and warping. MPG has been ok but have never gotten near the posted 27mpg hwy, 25mpg was my best and 23mpg is my avg. going to work and back which is 95% Hwy. I get 24mpg on the same trip with a RX300. However,the Outback is a practical, spacious, nice looking wgn.

Favorite Features

Handling, cargo room, AWD

Suggested Improvements

More std features