Used 2002 Subaru Outback Base Consumer Reviews - 51 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Subaru Outback - Consumer Reviews

2002 Subaru Outback

View reviews for a specific Outback model:

never again!!!!
By trish

2002 Subaru Outback AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Bought 2002 suburu outback limited used from original owner. Had it checked by my mechanic and everything was looked good. 140k miles for $5800. Nice looking car too. Ran great for a few months (2 to be exact). It has been a money sucker non stop for the past 2 years! first was something with the Manifold gasket and oxygen sensor $1150 later. The next big one was an oil leak under the head gasket with some "other things" needing fixing $3100 later. A few little things in between that cost couple of hundred $$. Latest was a break down on the highway with a "fried alternator" and a few months after that steering didnt feel right and my temp guage needle was bouncing from normal to HOT. Turns out coolant leak from the radiator. However, I never saw fluid under the car but the mechanic tells me it is leaking somewhere in the car and going where it shoud not be. Was hesistant to even fix it and told me I should just buy a new car. He did an affordable "patch job" for me for $500 as apposed to fixing the problem for $2000 plus as I NEED my car. I bought this car only because I heard they handle extremely well in the snow and this is quite true--- she does But it STOPS right there! This used car has cost me $10,000 within 2 years. This car is a NIGHTMARE but i need to get about and new car not an option now. I want to cry! :( STAY AWAY FROM SUBURU!!!!!

Road Noise
By Carter

2002 Subaru Outback AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

First wind, then engine noise make this car a problem on the highway. The wind noise can be fixed with a fairly simple repair (the frameless windows are at fault). The engine noise, however, is a result of the manual gearbox. The fifth gear has to rev high to allow the cruise control to pull the car uphill. As a result the car revs at 3-4000 rpm at highway speeds and makes a real racket. The raspy, unrefined 4 cyl. doesn't help. It is a deal killer. Other than that, pretty good car. Secure on dirt roads and in snow and fun to drive on both. The exterior is distinctive Subaru and the interior is well executed.

Great in the mush. Nice beige cabin. Distinctive Subaru exterior.

Bad drivetrain. Unrefined and noisy in a raspy way. 6 cyl. fuel econ but 4 cyl. power. Do not get manual transmission. Jerky with rubbery shifter. Wind and engine noise almost unbearable on highway.

Avoid this model
By Ridergirl

2002 Subaru Outback AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

My previous car was a Nissan Pathfinder which I finally retired at 308,000 miles. I bought this as a Subaru certified, used, at 60,000 miles, hoping I would get the same performance. Not so. The engine had to be replaced at 90,000, the clutch went at 110,000, as did the entire transmission. Check engine light comes on regularly just like an old friend. The fuel smell inside the car in the cold weather is awful. Wind noise is terrible, and the seats are uncomfortable for long drives, with limited leg room if you are taller than 5'7. Junky plastic parts. This car has cost me $11,000 over the purchase price so far. CS at corporate & dealer rude. Shame on Suby for this sub standard machine.

Heated seats are Nice in cold weather, colors both inside and out are attractive, but the paint doesn't wear well.

Improve reliability. What use is having a car that is advertised as outdoorsy and fun to drive if it is spending more time in the repair shop than on the road?

Good, but...
By BT Roseville

2002 Subaru Outback AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

With the exception of the lack of interior legroom front and rear, wind noise and engine issues, this is a good car ;). I had no problems for the first 30,000 miles. I had an independent dealer replace the coolant and my problems started. A small coolant leak developed. The dealer put in the Subaru coolant conditioner and told me that it should be fixed. A couple of months later, there was a big puff of steam from under the hood. The driver's side head gasket was replaced at less than 60,000 miles. No problems until about 80,000 miles. This time an oil and coolant leak from the passenger side - head gasket and cam seal. Out of warranty and out of luck. Likely my last Subaru.

AWD, heated front seats, side mirrors

Better mileage, more legroom, fix the wind noise (which I was told was fixed in the 2010 model), improve engine quality.

Head Gaskets, Catalytic Converters
By a20366

2002 Subaru Outback AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

This is the worst car that we have ever owned. We have replaced the head gaskets, catalytic converters and constantly have brake problems - primarily warped rotors. They say we need new valves now. We have taken care of this car and we have 130,000 on it. Subaru obviously has problems which they refuse to stand behind. We would never buy another one and just hope we can sell this one.

Handles well in the snow. Turning radius.

Subaru should stand behind their product.