Too expensive to maintain
By familydad on
2001 Subaru Outback AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)
This car handles well, is fun to drive, and I feel it is safe to drive with the family aboard. But after three, yes THREE radiator replacements, 2 head gaskets and several costly sensor replacements, I'm ready to be rid of this car. It has a computer "sensor" for seemingly everything, and I've had to replace them all more than once, and of course, these sensors are never in easy-to-reach places in the engine compartment, so every time, I've been totally reamed in the wallet. I just had the catalytic converter replaced as well, and like the other repairs for this car, it was very expensive. Seriously, I owned a Toyota for 10 years, and spent less than 1/4 the cost of repairs to it.
Favorite Features
AWD is nice, and I will miss it. The seat warmers, side mirror defrost, and fold-down rear seats are nice as well.
Suggested Improvements
For crying out loud, make the sensors accessible and affordable.
By harrys1
on 03/23/13 18:23 PM (PDT)

Your problem is more the mechanic than the car. He did not know how to diagnose head gasket failure and put in radiators instead. A bad head gasket, if left for a while, will take out the oxygen sensors and catalytic converters. The coolant is caustic to these.