Hi Miler Bargan Mover
By Dilbert on
2001 Subaru Outback AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)
OK, So I wanted ONE car to replace my three: MR2, Miata, & F250 4x4... Was looking at many options in the Small SUV market including the Forester [like driving in a fish bowl and under powered w/o Turbo] and with a very limited budget [darned economy] I was very lucky to find mine [priced low because it had 169k miles on the clock] 1. The power is 'very adequate' even surprising at times. The trade-off is a few MPG and having to buy Premium fuel, but annually for me this only amounts to $150, and no Timing Belt worries or Head Gasket problems with the H6! 2. It handles better than an SUV, but no MR2. 3. I've moved a ton of bricks [with trailer] about as much as the F250 could w/ trailer.
Favorite Features
Great Power, when needed, reasonable fuel economy with careful driving. Surprising hauling, towing capacity with great brakes and decent handling. LL Bean offers plenty of amenities and overall for me a great compromise between sports car and heavy hauler.
Suggested Improvements
Passenger Side Sun Visor dislodges inside rear view mirror. Stupid cup holders I understand improved in newer models. Heated seat switches too easily, accidentally turned "On" A manual 5 or 6 speed transmission would be nice.
By wmhickman
on 01/15/11 22:13 PM (PST)

I am looking at a 2002 Subaru Outback Limited with 160,000 and a 5spd manual trans. It is listed for $5500. I am curious to how many miles you now have and your experience with your car. I am concerned about the 4cylinder engine....