Used 2001 Subaru Outback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Subaru Outback - Consumer Reviews

2001 Subaru Outback

View reviews for a specific Outback model:

Summit County Subaru
By zlmtb

2001 Subaru Outback AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

This is my third Subaru wagon. It's been very reliable during the 4.5 years I've owned it. The only non-scheduled maintenance item I've had to perform was the replacement of a malfunctioning anti knock sensor. At 70k the engine is not as strong as it was at first, but still runs strong. Both my previous wagons (GL and Loyale) were purchased used at about 90k and driven to 160k. With regular maintenance Subaru wagons will serve you a long time. They get good gas mileage too; 26-28 mpg on my current Outback wagon. There's plenty of space to haul cargo and luggage too. Don't hesitate to buy one!

Favorite Features

AWD is great in the snow. Heated seats are the best in cold weather.

Suggested Improvements

The passenger side visor bumps into the auto dimming mirror: make the visor smaller! The driver's seat is uncomfortable on long trips. It needs to be upgraded. The front end develops a shimmy from disc rotor wear after a couple of years: this is consistent on all 3 wagons I've owned.

2001 Subaru Outback AWD 6 cylinder
By Knox Cohen

2001 Subaru Outback L.L. Bean Edition AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Finally a Subaru with decent power. It's fun to drive, AWD makes it safe and stable in rain or snow, very dependable. Rarely breaks down and very safe crash test results. Needs better drink holders for travel comfort.

Favorite Features

I've owned a Subaru since 1979 because of its AWD technology and mechanical dependability. They never break down.

Suggested Improvements

Drink holders.

LL Bean Outback - A Great Car
By LLBeanFan

2001 Subaru Outback L.L. Bean Edition AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased this car new in 2001 and loved it from the moment I test drove it. Our family has owned Subarus since 1980, and this one is by far the most comfortable and is an absolute pleasure to drive. Before owning this car, I always felt Subarus were underpowered. The 3.0 litre engine in the LL Bean ended that complaint completely. It is so smooth you will be amazed you are driving a Subaru - very little engine noise and ample power. The car is very smooth and quiet. The seats are supportive although slightly stiff for very long trips. My only minor complaints are the flimsy 2nd cup holder and the awkward dual moonroof.

Favorite Features

3.0L engine, heated seats, 4WD is awesome in the snow, lots of good accessories available, reliability - so far.

Suggested Improvements

SUBARU - Please kill the dual moonroof on future models (only the rear glass slides back - the front glass just tilts up). The big, SINGLE, moonroof in the Forester is so much better.

Last Subaru I'll own
By Enough

2001 Subaru Outback Limited AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

This is my 3rd Subaru. I bought it because the first 2 were bulletproof -- no problems. We are at 77k miles now. The head gasket had to be replaced at 72k. Yes it was covered since the car had the coolant treatment. Asking around after it happened, this is now a common problem with the 2.5 engine. Now, the transmission needs to be rebuilt. According to a local transmission shop (not the dealership) 77k on this transmission is good! He often sees them with less. Often? Somewhere Subaru lost the reliability that kept me coming back. The company has refused requests to repair the vehicle. They've offered token gestures like a rebate on a new car purchase. I'm done with Subaru.

Favorite Features

Looks good sitting still. Good thing, since if you drive it, you'll have to fix it.

Suggested Improvements

RELIABILITY! The old Subarus would run to 200k miles without problems. NOT NOW!

not so durable?
By colorado chick

2001 Subaru Outback Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I've driven my car hard and it's starting to show. I expected more from Subaru. While the Outback has been a vast improvement over my '93 Legacy, I've gone through way too many brakes, worn through lots of (higher quality) tires. Am now having transmission problems. Plus, like me, the car seems to be losing spunk as it ages; I now have to turn off the A/C to maintain speed on climbs. But, that said, it's been the most incredible snow car I've driven--with 4 studded snow tires, I can negotiate the nastiest mountain roads without fear.

Favorite Features

Heated leather seats, autochanger CD, weather band radio, high clearance (can plow through 12-18 inches of not-so-fresh snow). And, since it isn't tall like an SUV, a 5'1" woman like me can easily put bikes on the roof.

Suggested Improvements

Cup holder on dash spills drinks. Spoiler interferes with the longer Yakima space cases. Needs more power, better manual transmission (clutch required unusual finessing from the very beginning). Brighter headlights.