Used 2001 Subaru Outback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Subaru Outback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Outback model:

Best Sport Utility Ever!
By Christina

2001 Subaru Outback AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I researched for about a year before I made my purchase. I am now and always will be a Subaru owner. I try and sell people I know and don't know on these cars. I've never had any major problems. This car has the best fuel economy, it's comfy, it's luxurious. I drove it in Washington in the snow every winter without getting stuck once ... I'm a snowboarder! Now I'm in Atlanta and it drives so wonderfully in the pouring rain. I feel very confident that my car and I will make it through just about anything.

All wheel drive. Its stance & height off the ground. Durable interior. Hatch back. Ability to fold the back seats down flat when needed with ease. The roof rack. Heated windshield wipers, even in Atlanta, they make life a lot easier. Heated side mirrors. Heated seats, especially great for long trips!

AC vents to the back seats. Heated back seats. Navigation. HID headlights Standard tinted windows. Side window de-foggers.

Great Cruiser
By slivka

2001 Subaru Outback L.L. Bean Edition AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

The car is a great freeway cruiser. The engine is very smooth and quiet. At freeway speeds RPMs are well bellow 3000. Little wind noise does get in (especially around window seals) and rear differential whines a bit at around 70mph, but overall the cabin stays quiet. Soft suspension and raised ground clearance make Outback a comfy ride when the pavement ends. Lazy automatic, on the other hand, kills performance and makes it hard to control the car at slow speeds when “off-roading”.

Horrible 4-speed auto. It does shift smoothly and does not gear-hunt. But the gears are too widely spaced and too tall. It absolutely kill the performance that 212hp H6 provides. Up-shifts come way too early, while down-shift do not happen unless floored. I bet the manual H4 outperforms the auto H6!

Summit County Subaru
By zlmtb

2001 Subaru Outback AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

This is my third Subaru wagon. It's been very reliable during the 4.5 years I've owned it. The only non-scheduled maintenance item I've had to perform was the replacement of a malfunctioning anti knock sensor. At 70k the engine is not as strong as it was at first, but still runs strong. Both my previous wagons (GL and Loyale) were purchased used at about 90k and driven to 160k. With regular maintenance Subaru wagons will serve you a long time. They get good gas mileage too; 26-28 mpg on my current Outback wagon. There's plenty of space to haul cargo and luggage too. Don't hesitate to buy one!

AWD is great in the snow. Heated seats are the best in cold weather.

The passenger side visor bumps into the auto dimming mirror: make the visor smaller! The driver's seat is uncomfortable on long trips. It needs to be upgraded. The front end develops a shimmy from disc rotor wear after a couple of years: this is consistent on all 3 wagons I've owned.

2001 Subaru Outback AWD 6 cylinder
By Knox Cohen

2001 Subaru Outback L.L. Bean Edition AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Finally a Subaru with decent power. It's fun to drive, AWD makes it safe and stable in rain or snow, very dependable. Rarely breaks down and very safe crash test results. Needs better drink holders for travel comfort.

I've owned a Subaru since 1979 because of its AWD technology and mechanical dependability. They never break down.

Drink holders.

LL Bean Outback - A Great Car
By LLBeanFan

2001 Subaru Outback L.L. Bean Edition AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased this car new in 2001 and loved it from the moment I test drove it. Our family has owned Subarus since 1980, and this one is by far the most comfortable and is an absolute pleasure to drive. Before owning this car, I always felt Subarus were underpowered. The 3.0 litre engine in the LL Bean ended that complaint completely. It is so smooth you will be amazed you are driving a Subaru - very little engine noise and ample power. The car is very smooth and quiet. The seats are supportive although slightly stiff for very long trips. My only minor complaints are the flimsy 2nd cup holder and the awkward dual moonroof.

3.0L engine, heated seats, 4WD is awesome in the snow, lots of good accessories available, reliability - so far.

SUBARU - Please kill the dual moonroof on future models (only the rear glass slides back - the front glass just tilts up). The big, SINGLE, moonroof in the Forester is so much better.