2001 Subaru Outback Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Outback model:
Great Car
By TimS on 06/14/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Subaru Outback Wagon AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

All things considered, this is the best car availabe.

Great Car
By rkinn on 04/05/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Subaru Outback Wagon L.L. Bean Edition AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I have 60000 miles on my LL Bean Outback with the 3.0 6 cyc. Only problems were handled by the dealer. We had a wind noise which was corrected by glueing the molding around the windshield. The 6 cyl engine is more powerful than quick. Outback has the top end power that loafs at highway speeds of 70 to 80 or 90. I bought the LL Bean for the engine and the side airbags. Wish they would have been options on the base model. Car has a few blind spots. Only pet peeve happens when the passager lowers their sunvisor, it will hit the rearview mirror and the driver must readjust. I wish it was a larger single roof the opened for the driver.

seat heater switches
By gilatravler on 03/08/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Subaru Outback Wagon Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

great car, fun to drive and well designed

Very Best All Around Vehicle
By RickyRed on 02/14/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Subaru Outback Wagon Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

My Outback AWD Wagon is solid, dependable, quick, economical, and luxurious. I got all of this for 25K! It outdoes Honda, VW, Toyota by far! It also gives you much more than ANY BMW or similar luxury AWD for the price.

Careful if you are big/tall
By Elrond on 02/11/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Subaru Outback Wagon AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

A fine car, but at 6'2"/210, not for a long drive. Of course, few cars are. My wife loves it and the traction is superior, snow or rain. No problems, at all, though I have noticed the torque issue on pulling away. I find the acceleration perfectly adequate or better. Accessories are fine. Bought the 6 CD, nosebag, and universal cover (we do lots of dirt roads).

Outback
By stevelew on 01/10/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Subaru Outback Wagon AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Excellent car. Great dealer. No problems so far. 30000 mile service was as expected $500.

Last Subaru
By Mr.Subaru on 11/11/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Subaru Outback Wagon AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Wow! The third time is not a charm. I have become known on a first name with the dealership. Multiple problems with the car. I opened a ticket with Subaru of America and they said all the problems happened post my purchase -- my last Subaru. Although the engine is major step up, the acceleration is not going to cause any neck injuries. Please check the following before purchasing: AC/Brakes/Steering Wheel Assembly -- normal is front 9-to-3, ours was from 11-to-5/Front Bumper -- Cleft/Back Wiper/Alignment.

2001 Outback
By Gary Beaver on 10/04/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Subaru Outback Wagon Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I am a long time Subaru owner and my current Outback is the fifth I have owned. Its overall performance and reliability are excellent. The styling is excellent as well. Based upon my experience with this model I most likely will buy another Subaru when I am ready to trade this one in. My only real complaint is with the transmission. It is solid and reliable, but it is rather clunky. By that, I mean it does not always shift smoothly and I often feel it slightly hesitate and "clunk" rather gracelessly into gear. I don't think this rough shifting fortells a more serious problem.

weak brakes
By t.ed on 10/03/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Subaru Outback Wagon VDC AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Just past the 1 year mark with my vdc. overall it is fun. the engine is great- very strong and quick. handling is also great especially in bad weather. stereo sounds great although the cd player skipped and was replaced. the only downside is the brakes. backing up and applying the brakes sounds like they are falling off. a shim kit has helped alittle. the rotors needed to be ground down because they were uneven. generally they are mushy and do not instill confidence.

Old reliable
By x.morgan on 09/30/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Subaru Outback Wagon Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Having been familiar with the Subaru reliability aspect for years,I was pleased to purchase a new Outback Ltd. The OB is a great blend between car & SUV.I was hesitant to purchase a brand new car at first,but soon it had 5,ooo,10,000,and now it has almost 30,000 trouble-free miles on It. Have not been to the dealer for any defects or problems.How many american cars can say that?The leather seats are just getting broken in.(a little stiff at first)The 2 tone paint is very appealing.Overall,I can see this car easily reaching 150-200,000 miles with proper maintenance.Excellent v@alue