Used 2001 Subaru Outback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Subaru Outback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Outback model:

Expensive repair, lousy mpg
By Pdx Ower

2001 Subaru Outback L.L. Bean Edition AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Try 17-19 mpg in mixed driving even on non-ethanol gas which is only 6 months a year around here. I get 25 mpg on an open highway on cruise control on good gas. My experience has been tire blowout at 25K miles, an expensive fuel injector around 30k miles, the cargo area interior cover before 30k miles, the serpentine belt at 40k miles, and the very expensive leaking valve gasket at 50k miles. Altogether, I have experienced higher than usual repair incidence of very expensive repairs, and long before they are due for normal maintenance. There were two recall notices, also.

The safety features. The power to easily pass others at highway speeds. The sound system. The AWD control.

Larger cup holders. Sturdier cup holder for back seat.

snow job
By yardshark

2001 Subaru Outback Limited AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I was totally "snowed" by Subaru and others who have owned Subaru's. "Oh, they're so reliable I have 2 of them". "They're bullet-proof". So I bought a new 2001 Outback sedan for the "reliability" and the AWD for snowy weather. At just over 50,000 miles, one head gasket blew and while testing the system, they found the second one ready to go and had to replace it too. The repairman told me I wouldn't have the problem again when I told him I would not buy another if this was going to be a problem every 50,000 miles. Now at 120,000 miles, the head gaskets have once again gone out. This will be the third set of gaskets for something "bullet-proof" and "extremely reliable".

Go back to the drawing board AFTER you look up the true meanings of "bullet-proof" and "reliable". Apparently you've changed something or forgotten something vital risking the loss of customers...me for one.

My First and Last
By Larry

2001 Subaru Outback AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

By 68k, replaced wiper interrupt unit, power steering pump, alternator, steering rack, and motor mounts. My first Subaru, purchased with 46k miles, and it will be my last. Very expensive to maintain.

AWD.

Reliability, cost of maintenance, dealer support (very bad with 2 dealers).

We LOVE our Subaru!
By newbury

2001 Subaru Outback Limited AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

This car has never broken down. We use it for both local and long distance driving, and have never been disappointed by performance in the New England weather. It handles snow and rain without a hitch and has been very reliable during icy road situations (the AWD works like a champ). We love this car, and plan to keep it for a very long time! :)

AWD, leather interior, sun roof.

More cup holders in the back would be nice, but otherwise there are no complaints.

Most Pleased
By carnell

2001 Subaru Outback VDC AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

The two improvements that I would appreciate are; a front seat arm rest to avoid fatigue on long trips - the 10 and 2 o,clock hand positions are very tiring, and directional signal display as a flashing bar in the exterior mirrors for increased safety. Best car in my 46 years of driving.

Smooth automatic shifting, acceleration and braking.

As detailed in review above.

• SUV