2001 Subaru Outback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Outback model:
greatAWD
By abj on 09/16/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Subaru Outback Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Everything, and particularly the H6, is top notch. Strange ergonomics on it (probably due to Japanese RHD converted to NA LHD). Brakes sre noisy and vibrate too soon in their life. I'd buy again though.

Stick Shift Problems
By sewerwitch on 09/09/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Subaru Outback Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Limited Wagon has lots of room and a great auto to drive on Vermont ski trips. But - we had to replace the clutch at 28000 miles and again at 52000 miles. At first we thought it was my wifes driving (but she had driven stick shift cars for many years)now we think it is a design flaw. Plus when reving the engine to drive up an incline a horrible smell would enter the cabin. A transmission seal leak??

A decent vehicle
By hai on 09/06/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Subaru Outback AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

We have driven our OB for 45k miles now. My wife drives it to work in the High Sierras during bad weather conditons. We did have warped front disc brakes when we bought it. It took three different dealers before they corrected the problem. Otherwise, no problems to speak of. Oh yes, I tightened the intake carburator manifold housing with a hose clamp and improved the gas mileage by 4 mpg! It is a 4 cylinder. Yes, it is slow on pickup. But we weren't looking for a racer. Just a safe, reliable, economical, all-weather vehicle. The only mechanical complaint I have to date is that the auto trans shift lever binds when shifting from park into gear.

Happy Owner
By SuperSubu on 08/18/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Subaru Outback L.L. Bean Edition AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

No complaints...runs perfectly and I get many compliments. Tires are a bit noisy - I will not put the same ones on when I replace them.

Unstoppable
By lazybugger on 08/11/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Subaru Outback AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I have driven in all types of conditions and roads and found this car to be unstoppable.From snow and ice to heat and sand it handles it all with ease. A very capable and fuss free drive.

Outback Wagon: 5-spd manual
By retro on 08/11/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Subaru Outback AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I've had it now for 30,000 miles, and have not had any problems except a thermostat that was replaced (free under warranty, $15 otherwise). Excellent car, especially in winter; 5- spd with viscous coupling is wonderful in snow. (Highly recommended, better than automatic). The interior and exterior have held up very well, the car still looks and feels new. I feel the base Outback gives the best value for your money in the Subaru line. If AWD and reliability is important to you, this is the perfect car.

Subie #2
By flacke on 07/26/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Subaru Outback Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

This is my second Subaru. I like it but I too find the 5 speed to shift a little rough. The clutch is graby and reverse is hard to find a lot. It also has to low of a final drive gear. At 80mph my '93 runs at 3100rpms the '01 runs 3800rpms at 80mph. This makes the engine a little more torquey but doesn't help the trany/clutch problems, MPG and engine noise level. Don't get me wrong I love the car I just have to be very smooth when shifting. The AWD system feel great in snow and mud. It corners well and is smooth feeling on the highway. The Limited is Great Highway road tripper, around towner and backroad shuttle vehicle.

Great Car
By TimS on 06/14/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Subaru Outback AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

All things considered, this is the best car availabe.

Great Car
By rkinn on 04/05/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Subaru Outback L.L. Bean Edition AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I have 60000 miles on my LL Bean Outback with the 3.0 6 cyc. Only problems were handled by the dealer. We had a wind noise which was corrected by glueing the molding around the windshield. The 6 cyl engine is more powerful than quick. Outback has the top end power that loafs at highway speeds of 70 to 80 or 90. I bought the LL Bean for the engine and the side airbags. Wish they would have been options on the base model. Car has a few blind spots. Only pet peeve happens when the passager lowers their sunvisor, it will hit the rearview mirror and the driver must readjust. I wish it was a larger single roof the opened for the driver.

Nice, solid ride
By auburncrew on 03/23/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Subaru Outback Limited AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

The Outback Limited sedan is a well-made, fun-to-drive car that handles poor weather, dirt roads and twisty turns like a champ. But it's equally at home on the interstate, where it is rock-solid; I have to set the cruise to near the legal limit, otherwise, I'll be cruising at 90 mph without realizing it. It's got all you could ever want in a sedan: leather, sunroof, all-wheel-drive ... Even better once I ditched the Firestones for Michelin X-ones.