Used 2001 Subaru Outback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Subaru Outback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Outback model:

We LOVE our Subaru!
By newbury

2001 Subaru Outback Limited AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

This car has never broken down. We use it for both local and long distance driving, and have never been disappointed by performance in the New England weather. It handles snow and rain without a hitch and has been very reliable during icy road situations (the AWD works like a champ). We love this car, and plan to keep it for a very long time! :)

AWD, leather interior, sun roof.

More cup holders in the back would be nice, but otherwise there are no complaints.

Most Pleased
By carnell

2001 Subaru Outback VDC AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

The two improvements that I would appreciate are; a front seat arm rest to avoid fatigue on long trips - the 10 and 2 o,clock hand positions are very tiring, and directional signal display as a flashing bar in the exterior mirrors for increased safety. Best car in my 46 years of driving.

Smooth automatic shifting, acceleration and braking.

As detailed in review above.

2001 Outback
By Doug

2001 Subaru Outback AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

The Outback was our first "new" car, and we can certainly afford anything. This car has been completely troublefree, aside from the cupholder in the back seat that my kids stepped on (and broke). There is a lingering concern regarding head gaskets with the 2.5 engine. We have had no trouble at all. I do not know what incidence exists for these engines. We have a Subaru fanatic nearby who will change both sides for about $1500. Would I buy again? You bet - in fact, we're shopping right now for a Forester for her, so that I can start driving the '01 Outback - my '91 Loyale has 209k on it, and running fine but a bit of an embarrassment in this neighborhood.

Gas mileage.

Still some work to do on the "hillholder", but it's a minor irritation.

LL Bean Outback
By cc

2001 Subaru Outback L.L. Bean Edition AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I love my LL Bean Outback. It's 2 toned which makes it look like a small SUV. The 6 cylinders give me plenty of get up and go. It has and excellently smooth ride and gets fairly good mileage on the highway, not quite as good in city driving. It has loads of room to pack and haul things. I would buy a new one today but Subarus last forever. At 50,000 miles all I needed was fluids checked and an oil change.

Loads of room to haul things and extremely comfortable ride.

I would recommend that the bottom of the back seat fold up towards the front seat (like the old Chevy Citation) to provide a flat hauling surface. Also if you could turn off the passenger front air bag. (I travel with a small dog.) Front moon roof should slide open all the way, not just raise.

Best Sport Utility Ever!
By Christina

2001 Subaru Outback AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I researched for about a year before I made my purchase. I am now and always will be a Subaru owner. I try and sell people I know and don't know on these cars. I've never had any major problems. This car has the best fuel economy, it's comfy, it's luxurious. I drove it in Washington in the snow every winter without getting stuck once ... I'm a snowboarder! Now I'm in Atlanta and it drives so wonderfully in the pouring rain. I feel very confident that my car and I will make it through just about anything.

All wheel drive. Its stance & height off the ground. Durable interior. Hatch back. Ability to fold the back seats down flat when needed with ease. The roof rack. Heated windshield wipers, even in Atlanta, they make life a lot easier. Heated side mirrors. Heated seats, especially great for long trips!

AC vents to the back seats. Heated back seats. Navigation. HID headlights Standard tinted windows. Side window de-foggers.