2001 Subaru Outback Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Outback model:
Nice but some erg issues
By jeep8 on 01/25/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Subaru Outback Wagon L.L. Bean Edition AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Overall we like the Outback, but there are a few odd ergonomic issues. The switch for the sunroof needs to be held down to open or close. Since the sunroof has build in stops, to close you hold down until it stops moving, release the button, hold down again (repeat) Due to the short winshield (the roof slopes up in front) tall drivers (6'2") may have an issue with the rearview mirror creating a nasty blindspot. Also on rough roads your head may bump on the side handle (roof is narrow). A shorter person will not have these problems. As for quality I rank the Subaru below Toyota/Honda but above the Big Three. This is our second Subaru.

Awful
By Totally Unhappy on 01/22/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Subaru Outback Wagon AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I have owned three Hondas, two Toyotas, and one Mazda. I have heard a Subaru can be run into the ground and is good car. This Outback I have is either a lemon or others don't tell about all the little things that go wrong. I bought it for style admittedly, but it has been to back to the shop FIVE times in one year for strange noises, rattles, broken fan, and now a CHECK ENGINE light. I am selling this piece of junk the minute I get the light fixed. I almost feel guilty passing it off on someone else.

Happy 1st Time Owner
By Belinda Tuneblom on 01/12/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Subaru Outback Wagon AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

This is our first Subaru and my Husband and I are very pleased with it. We are skiers and the car is great for our ski tirps up to Vermont. We now have a baby boy and feel that the car is more than adequate for our growing family. I do however, wish there was more room between the back and front seats. It is a bit tight for the driver with a rear facing infant seat in the back seat. We like the racks on top due to the fact that our skis will now have to ride on the roof to make room for our son. Being a 4 cyl, it does lack a little power on uphill excelleration but this is something we can live with.

greatAWD
By abj on 09/16/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Subaru Outback Wagon Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Everything, and particularly the H6, is top notch. Strange ergonomics on it (probably due to Japanese RHD converted to NA LHD). Brakes sre noisy and vibrate too soon in their life. I'd buy again though.

Stick Shift Problems
By sewerwitch on 09/09/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Subaru Outback Wagon Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Limited Wagon has lots of room and a great auto to drive on Vermont ski trips. But - we had to replace the clutch at 28000 miles and again at 52000 miles. At first we thought it was my wifes driving (but she had driven stick shift cars for many years)now we think it is a design flaw. Plus when reving the engine to drive up an incline a horrible smell would enter the cabin. A transmission seal leak??

A decent vehicle
By hai on 09/06/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Subaru Outback Wagon AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

We have driven our OB for 45k miles now. My wife drives it to work in the High Sierras during bad weather conditons. We did have warped front disc brakes when we bought it. It took three different dealers before they corrected the problem. Otherwise, no problems to speak of. Oh yes, I tightened the intake carburator manifold housing with a hose clamp and improved the gas mileage by 4 mpg! It is a 4 cylinder. Yes, it is slow on pickup. But we weren't looking for a racer. Just a safe, reliable, economical, all-weather vehicle. The only mechanical complaint I have to date is that the auto trans shift lever binds when shifting from park into gear.

Happy Owner
By SuperSubu on 08/18/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Subaru Outback Wagon L.L. Bean Edition AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

No complaints...runs perfectly and I get many compliments. Tires are a bit noisy - I will not put the same ones on when I replace them.

Outback Wagon: 5-spd manual
By retro on 08/11/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Subaru Outback Wagon AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I've had it now for 30,000 miles, and have not had any problems except a thermostat that was replaced (free under warranty, $15 otherwise). Excellent car, especially in winter; 5- spd with viscous coupling is wonderful in snow. (Highly recommended, better than automatic). The interior and exterior have held up very well, the car still looks and feels new. I feel the base Outback gives the best value for your money in the Subaru line. If AWD and reliability is important to you, this is the perfect car.

Unstoppable
By lazybugger on 08/11/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Subaru Outback Wagon AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I have driven in all types of conditions and roads and found this car to be unstoppable.From snow and ice to heat and sand it handles it all with ease. A very capable and fuss free drive.

Subie #2
By flacke on 07/26/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Subaru Outback Wagon Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

This is my second Subaru. I like it but I too find the 5 speed to shift a little rough. The clutch is graby and reverse is hard to find a lot. It also has to low of a final drive gear. At 80mph my '93 runs at 3100rpms the '01 runs 3800rpms at 80mph. This makes the engine a little more torquey but doesn't help the trany/clutch problems, MPG and engine noise level. Don't get me wrong I love the car I just have to be very smooth when shifting. The AWD system feel great in snow and mud. It corners well and is smooth feeling on the highway. The Limited is Great Highway road tripper, around towner and backroad shuttle vehicle.