Used 2001 Subaru Outback Consumer Reviews - 103 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Subaru Outback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Outback model:

120k and still a great car
By Larry

2001 Subaru Outback L.L. Bean Edition AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

We now have 120k on our Suby. Yes, we had to replace head gaskets at 100k miles. And we had a fuel pump go at 105k, but since then our car has been bullet proof, as it was before these problems. It is regularly used to go up into the mountains and for a brief period I towed a trailer and go kart with it. This is my wife's car and while I would appreciate better gear ratio and spacing, she loves driving it. Seven years old and still going strong. My fourth Suby and not my last.

Utility, cargo space, interior and back seat comfort.

Better gearing to take more advantage of the 6 cylinder motor.

Best car I've owned!
By kk

2001 Subaru Outback Limited AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

This is a fabulous car and has gotten me across the country 6 times in all sorts of weather, never letting me down. A recent outpouring of money to the head gaskets, radiator, water & fuel pump, altenator, timing belt, and thermastat has given me reserve on whether I'll purchase another.

The AWD! I saw people hydroplaning in rain and spinning their tires in the snow as I drove right by them! I also adore the windshield wiper heaters!

The back seat could use a 60/40 split, I always wanted that and didn't use the pass through much.

Excellent all-around car
By surfinbird

2001 Subaru Outback AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Wonderful car. The boxer 4 has a unique sound and feel. It's a bit thirsty - the best mileage I've gotten is 28 mpg. Build quality is first rate. Suspension is soft enough for comfortable distance driving but firm enough for the twisties. Seats are very comfortable. After all these years that car still cleans up and looks like new. The all wheel drive is very comforting on long trips in poor weather. This is a car that car be driven long distances in great comfort, I've covered 800 miles per day on many occasions.

The build quality is outstanding. It's really fun to drive for a medium size wagon. Lots of room for hauling stuff.

I really wanted the H6 with a manual transmission but settled for the H4. They made the same mistake with the SVX model back in the 90s. I don't know why Subaru can't offer manuals in all their cars, BMW does it.

Mixed review
By paul

2001 Subaru Outback Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

While this car is great in snow and rock solid in a driving rain it has been a maintenance nightmare. We think it was built late on a Friday afternoon. Within hours of taking delivery the car wouldn't start. Bad fuel injectors. Within two months, bad brake rotors. Driver's door has never closed correctly without slamming it. New clutch within 24K miles... told Subaru clutches don't last long (wife asked if we they could install a Honda clutch instead - our accord clutch lasted until 75K....). Another new clutch at 45K. Blown tranny at 102K and now blown head gasket at 105K. We're done with Subaru.

AWD, heated seats, weather band radio.

See above for list of problems.

Great Car
By Len

2001 Subaru Outback L.L. Bean Edition AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Other than a very poor heated seat button location the car is great. This car when new would be overpriced but used is a great value.

4 wheel drive.

Heated seat buttons. Dash cup holder poor location. No fade out interior lighting.