2001 Subaru Outback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Outback model:
A great car-that has some minor issues.
By Suzam on 04/01/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Subaru Outback Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Added hieght of the Outback is a plus, not as high as an SUV but only slightly lower than a minivan's line-of-sight. Short skirted pistons can sometimes rap when cold but quiet down after warming up to operating temperature in this horizontally opposed 4 cyl. Expect low 20s for local driving MPG. Not bad considering AWD.

will buy another
By snowplow on 03/22/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Subaru Outback VDC AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This is a great car, especially in snow country. The 6cyl has lots of pep and did well hauling a small trailer 1200 miles. Gas mileage not bad. The automatic a/c, heat system is hard to operate. Only one repair needed... door seal leaked air (wind).

'01 Subaru Outback wagon
By Larry Leidecker on 03/07/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Subaru Outback AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Overall, this is an extremely reliable and capable vehicle. I bought it new and have had it back for a recall to have the underside undercoated. Other than that, an engine light came on and so a sensor was replaced under warranty. Very good car overall, especially in the snow.

JUMP START a Subaru and destroy the VDC
By city on 02/15/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Subaru Outback VDC AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

The battery went down on our top of the line Subaru with VDC. It was jump started by Subaru Road Service. The warning lights remained on after it was jumped. Waited for our 1/22/04 appointment with dealer. At first service said we were warranty "lucky" because the VDC computer part cost $1,200. It was replaced. Car not returned as promised. More parts needed. It's now 1/29/04. Again car not returned as promised. Negotiated 4 days Hyundai rental for previously plan trip. Service now says repair not covered under warranty because of "outside influence". Western regional manager concurred. Filed with the State. Car sent to other dealer. Returned 2/14/04.

super car
By scarwaf on 02/10/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Subaru Outback VDC AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Ilike it so much Iwould buy another one

My Big Red
By Bluesky821 on 02/08/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Subaru Outback L.L. Bean Edition AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Love this car. Only faults were two recalls and brakes had to be done before their time but half cost was covered by the warranty.

Nice but some erg issues
By jeep8 on 01/25/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Subaru Outback L.L. Bean Edition AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Overall we like the Outback, but there are a few odd ergonomic issues. The switch for the sunroof needs to be held down to open or close. Since the sunroof has build in stops, to close you hold down until it stops moving, release the button, hold down again (repeat) Due to the short winshield (the roof slopes up in front) tall drivers (6'2") may have an issue with the rearview mirror creating a nasty blindspot. Also on rough roads your head may bump on the side handle (roof is narrow). A shorter person will not have these problems. As for quality I rank the Subaru below Toyota/Honda but above the Big Three. This is our second Subaru.

Awful
By Totally Unhappy on 01/22/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Subaru Outback AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I have owned three Hondas, two Toyotas, and one Mazda. I have heard a Subaru can be run into the ground and is good car. This Outback I have is either a lemon or others don't tell about all the little things that go wrong. I bought it for style admittedly, but it has been to back to the shop FIVE times in one year for strange noises, rattles, broken fan, and now a CHECK ENGINE light. I am selling this piece of junk the minute I get the light fixed. I almost feel guilty passing it off on someone else.

Happy 1st Time Owner
By Belinda Tuneblom on 01/12/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Subaru Outback AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

This is our first Subaru and my Husband and I are very pleased with it. We are skiers and the car is great for our ski tirps up to Vermont. We now have a baby boy and feel that the car is more than adequate for our growing family. I do however, wish there was more room between the back and front seats. It is a bit tight for the driver with a rear facing infant seat in the back seat. We like the racks on top due to the fact that our skis will now have to ride on the roof to make room for our son. Being a 4 cyl, it does lack a little power on uphill excelleration but this is something we can live with.

Subaru AWD Sedan Limited
By Cletus on 10/01/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Subaru Outback Limited AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Overall very nice vehicle. Interior/Exterior design and styling are great. Highly recommend