2001 Subaru Outback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Outback model:
My Outback
By Myrddin on 10/21/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Subaru Outback VDC AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Although this car was chosen by my wife, I can say I really enjoy driving it.. It really shines when the road is slick.. Two winters have proven it's the car to have when the going gets slippery.. Mileage on long trips is has been in the 27MPG range when crusing at highway speeds.. The only drawbacks have been the placement of some controls, especially the seat heat switchs.. They are frequently turned on when you set some down between the seats.. All in all when it comes time to replace this vehicle we will get another Suberu...

VDC at 4 years
By dgduris on 10/05/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Subaru Outback VDC AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I have owned this car since new. It has given me 66k miles of uninterruped, luxurious service. While unremarkable outside, the interior frequently causes passengers to remark: "This is a Subaru? !" The leather, wood trim and 220 Watt MacIntosh Stereo are all on par with the far more expensive cars my non-snow-belt inhabiting friends drive. The recent addition of Ultra High Performance All Season Michelins has had me fall in love with the car all over again as the handling is improved to GT level and the road noise is drastically reduced. I would change only the control for the dual sunroof and add headlight washer jets to make this car perfect.

Great all rounder, with no reliability
By ABB on 10/01/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Subaru Outback AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

My first new car. Had no problems at all until 36K. Engine overheated and ruined it. It was fixed under warranty. Then again at 50K car was leaking lots of coolant. Turned out to be the water pump, but again fixed under warranty. Other than reliability, its an overall decent car. Though a bit underpowered, its still fun to drive in all conditions. Very smooth and quiet ride as well. Good clearance for off-roading, but terrible approach angle. With everything fixed, I hope it will take me upto 200K.

It's not perfect, but what car is?
By gatorband on 07/15/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Subaru Outback AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

1st Subaru & 60K mi. later, still tickled w/ it. Have had only 1 recall item & a handfull of warranty-covered issues, incl. one that was covered way after 3/36! PROS: EXCELLENT handling, esp. in bad weather (rain/storms) & on dirt/gravel roads; smooth & stable ride on pavement; ample cargo space; good visibility; overall reliability. CONS: sluggish pick-up from stop (4cyl/auto); poor cup holders; tight back seat knee- space. Take care of it & it will run forever! How many Subies do you see stranded?

Nice Little Wagon
By JCSschwartz on 07/03/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Subaru Outback AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I like the car and would consider buying another. Good MPG, ride, reliability.

Very good car
By Nakoosa on 07/02/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Subaru Outback Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Were I not so into off-roading, I would have kept this car. The ground clearance is great, the approach/departure angles significantly hamper the grnd clernce and AWD capabilities. AWD and cornering = fun! Premium sound system is Fantastic! Seat heaters are wonderful. Acceleration is very surprising (when gas is stomped). Gas mileage surprising not so desireable. I took this thing mudding, out onto the beach, rally driving on fireroads and Had A Blast!! Very versatile, very fun. But I can 4-wheel my '87 Pathfinder and it cost a lot less! If you're not into moderate to heavy off- roading, you'll love all the features, safety and fun of this car.

LL Bean Bust
By alvags on 05/20/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Subaru Outback L.L. Bean Edition AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

We've had problems with the brakes over and over again. The car only has 39,000 mi. and it has been in for brakes three times and a very weird noise in the rear differential. They would not repair the differential stating that it was "normal" but several mechanics we consulted agreed that it is far from a normal sound. Very unsettling...

Useless Sunroofs, Low Power - Good Car
By TechMarcom on 05/16/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Subaru Outback Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Car rides well, but is certainly underpowered with a 4 cyl. engine, or way overpriced with a 6 cyl. We lease the 2001 Outback Ltd. with ato trans and 4 cyl engine. Dual sunroofs seemed like a fun idea, but in reality they're useless. The one over the front seat is a "pop top" that barely opens, and the power sliding moonroof is over the back seat - useless to driver!

1st Year LL Bean Outback
By LLBeaner on 05/05/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Subaru Outback L.L. Bean Edition AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I love this car! Would recommend it to anyone!

I got a lemon!
By fedup withrepairs on 04/21/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Subaru Outback L.L. Bean Edition AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Drives great in snow and ice but has had multiple mechanical problems including:Throttle problems,twice, accelerating suddenly and not wanting to gear down, a recall due to the cruise control,a second recall for some undercarriage problem that could have caused serious breakdown,two brake jobs and rotor broblems, sticking lift gate and now computer problems and a host of minor gliches that required a day here and there in the shop. I dread to think what is next and the car just turned three this December!!!.