Used 2001 Subaru Outback Base Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Subaru Outback Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Outback model:

Best Sport Utility Ever!
By Christina

2001 Subaru Outback Wagon AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I researched for about a year before I made my purchase. I am now and always will be a Subaru owner. I try and sell people I know and don't know on these cars. I've never had any major problems. This car has the best fuel economy, it's comfy, it's luxurious. I drove it in Washington in the snow every winter without getting stuck once ... I'm a snowboarder! Now I'm in Atlanta and it drives so wonderfully in the pouring rain. I feel very confident that my car and I will make it through just about anything.

All wheel drive. Its stance & height off the ground. Durable interior. Hatch back. Ability to fold the back seats down flat when needed with ease. The roof rack. Heated windshield wipers, even in Atlanta, they make life a lot easier. Heated side mirrors. Heated seats, especially great for long trips!

AC vents to the back seats. Heated back seats. Navigation. HID headlights Standard tinted windows. Side window de-foggers.

Summit County Subaru
By zlmtb

2001 Subaru Outback Wagon AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

This is my third Subaru wagon. It's been very reliable during the 4.5 years I've owned it. The only non-scheduled maintenance item I've had to perform was the replacement of a malfunctioning anti knock sensor. At 70k the engine is not as strong as it was at first, but still runs strong. Both my previous wagons (GL and Loyale) were purchased used at about 90k and driven to 160k. With regular maintenance Subaru wagons will serve you a long time. They get good gas mileage too; 26-28 mpg on my current Outback wagon. There's plenty of space to haul cargo and luggage too. Don't hesitate to buy one!

AWD is great in the snow. Heated seats are the best in cold weather.

The passenger side visor bumps into the auto dimming mirror: make the visor smaller! The driver's seat is uncomfortable on long trips. It needs to be upgraded. The front end develops a shimmy from disc rotor wear after a couple of years: this is consistent on all 3 wagons I've owned.

Solid Wagon
By SeattleDrvr

2001 Subaru Outback Wagon AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Bought it new. Extras include premium sound, heated seats, heated mirors and heated windshield. Manual transmission does well even with Seattle's steep hills. No problems that weren't covered by the warranty. I plan to keep it for many years to come. My only majior complaint is that the air conditioning isn't cool enough. There are only vents in the front seats so my passengers and dogs bake in the back or we freeze in front to keep them cool.

Heated seats, mirrors and windshield (I never have to scrape ice off my windshield). All Wheel Drive is excellent. Good sound system (premium sound package). Rear seat is easy to fold down and put back up. Rubber floor matt in cargo area is indispensable with 2 large water loving dogs

Placement of switches for heated seats should be moved - where they are results in turning them on by accident. A real opening sun roof in the front would be nice. The price of repair parts is high. Air conditioning vents in the rear seat so my passengers and dogs don't bake like they do now.

Great all rounder, with no reliability
By ABB

2001 Subaru Outback Wagon AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

My first new car. Had no problems at all until 36K. Engine overheated and ruined it. It was fixed under warranty. Then again at 50K car was leaking lots of coolant. Turned out to be the water pump, but again fixed under warranty. Other than reliability, its an overall decent car. Though a bit underpowered, its still fun to drive in all conditions. Very smooth and quiet ride as well. Good clearance for off-roading, but terrible approach angle. With everything fixed, I hope it will take me upto 200K.

Smooth ride and decent handling for a tall wagon. Lots of interior space. Very quiet except for the roof rack/bike rack. Fun to drive off road.

Provide a longer warranty. Some more power for the flat 4. Better approach and departure angles. Improve the stock tires, its a disservice to the amazing AWD system.

It's not perfect, but what car is?
By gatorband

2001 Subaru Outback Wagon AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

1st Subaru & 60K mi. later, still tickled w/ it. Have had only 1 recall item & a handfull of warranty-covered issues, incl. one that was covered way after 3/36! PROS: EXCELLENT handling, esp. in bad weather (rain/storms) & on dirt/gravel roads; smooth & stable ride on pavement; ample cargo space; good visibility; overall reliability. CONS: sluggish pick-up from stop (4cyl/auto); poor cup holders; tight back seat knee- space. Take care of it & it will run forever! How many Subies do you see stranded?

Stability/handling on twisty/hilly roads & in bad weather. Not just great in snow but ideal in howling wind & driving monsoon rains too!

Better placed & bigger cup holders; more low-end torque in the 4cyl; a few more inches of leg room in the back seat.