2001 Subaru Outback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Outback model:
Last Subaru
By Mr.Subaru on 11/11/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Subaru Outback AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Wow! The third time is not a charm. I have become known on a first name with the dealership. Multiple problems with the car. I opened a ticket with Subaru of America and they said all the problems happened post my purchase -- my last Subaru. Although the engine is major step up, the acceleration is not going to cause any neck injuries. Please check the following before purchasing: AC/Brakes/Steering Wheel Assembly -- normal is front 9-to-3, ours was from 11-to-5/Front Bumper -- Cleft/Back Wiper/Alignment.

Exceeds Expectations!
By ladywclass on 09/08/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Subaru Outback AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I have owned a number of new cars including several Suburbans. With kids grown and a move to 'snow country', I bought the OB new and have found it to be the best car I have owned in my life. Any other cars had to be taken back to the dealer within about 2 weeks with a long list of 'fixes'. (Maybe they 'lowered' my expectations for this car ... lol) I looked for several months before buying, and had intended to purchase a small SUV. The OB gave me the best of two worlds - the AWD and the hauling capacity of a small SUV with the comfort and better ride of a nice car.

Midsize WannaB
By RoadRunner47 on 09/01/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Subaru Outback AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought the larger Outback vs my 1998 Forrester. The interior is NOT midsized. Travel strains my legs. The power seats on the Outback helps some. The brakes on the Outback squeaks and have warped, an unexpected extra expense. I like the dark green, but lack of insulation makes the air conditioner ineffective. The great sound system is muffled by road noise. The 4 cylinder engine is far superior than any US made 4 cylinder, but I would prefer an US AWD 3.8L V6. I swear by AWD, many times avoiding other driver's mistakes. The plasic appearance is a far cry from the interior appointments of US made cars 20-30 years ago. 200,000 mile throw- away car.

Quality ride for family of five
By Drewski on 08/07/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Subaru Outback AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

We have 26,000 miles on our Outback. When we purchased the vehicle, we did not plan on having our third child. We now fit 3 children (2 car seats in the back) and a dog in the car for many trips. The car could be a little bigger, but no other car/van we have driven equals the smooth and secure driving experience delivered by the Outback. We use the car extensivly to take 55 mile trips to the local ski areas and have used it for a 12-hour trip to visit relatives. A car-top carrier is a must for anyone with a family! Local city driving is a breeze as the car maneuvers easily during parallel parking. The interior has a quality feel.

Subaru outback 2001
By pjssatx on 07/28/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Subaru Outback AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

head rests on back seats block view out of rear view mirror.

the best but still junk
By pavel on 07/12/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Subaru Outback AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

There are very few wagons in the market, even fewer are imports, available with manual transmission and have 4 wheel drive. Only two are affordable - Outback and Legacy. Therefore, Outback is obviously the best and at the same time the second worst in its class. Problems: - very low torque at low RPM - the flip side of inflated max power at high RPM. They are fixing the numbers at the expense of actual performance. - clutch glazes in no time - very poor material and design - interior material is poor - mexican assembly and even some part manufacturing

Disappointed
By DRPIV on 04/05/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Subaru Outback AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

decent vehicle, do not expect too much. poor clutch, shuttering breaks, underpowered (significantly at low rpm's, can barely climb steep grades), squeaks, squeals from day one. fine highway vehicle once rolling, smooth, strong enough once engine is revving.

just amazing
By ashley on 03/01/02 09:13 AM (PST)

2001 Subaru Outback AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

THIS CAR I THINK IS THE BEST CAR ON THE ROAD,(APART FROM THE IMPREZA WRX) I DONT THINK IT LOOKS AS GOOD AS THE IMPREZA WRX, THE ONE I DROVE DIDNT HAVE THE GRILL ON THE BONNET WHICH WAS A DISSAPOINTMENT BUT THE POWER IS THERE! ALTHOUGH ITS A BIG CAR IT HANDLES LIKE A TRUE SMALL SPORTS CAR!