2001 Subaru Outback Base Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Subaru Outback - Consumer Reviews

2001 Outback Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Outback model:

Sort Reviews by

Nice Little Wagon
By JCSschwartz

2001 Subaru Outback Wagon AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I like the car and would consider buying another. Good MPG, ride, reliability.

Favorite Features

AWD, Sound system, reliability

Suggested Improvements

Sound deadening insulation. Excessive road noise on certain surfaces.

'01 Subaru Outback wagon
By Larry Leidecker

2001 Subaru Outback Wagon AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Overall, this is an extremely reliable and capable vehicle. I bought it new and have had it back for a recall to have the underside undercoated. Other than that, an engine light came on and so a sensor was replaced under warranty. Very good car overall, especially in the snow.

Favorite Features

Ability to get through snow. AWD is a wonderful feature.

Suggested Improvements

Window visors to keep water, snow, etc. from coming in if you have the window open slightly.

Awful
By Totally Unhappy

2001 Subaru Outback Wagon AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I have owned three Hondas, two Toyotas, and one Mazda. I have heard a Subaru can be run into the ground and is good car. This Outback I have is either a lemon or others don't tell about all the little things that go wrong. I bought it for style admittedly, but it has been to back to the shop FIVE times in one year for strange noises, rattles, broken fan, and now a CHECK ENGINE light. I am selling this piece of junk the minute I get the light fixed. I almost feel guilty passing it off on someone else.

Favorite Features

It's cute. Not bad to drive.

Suggested Improvements

Where do I start?

Happy 1st Time Owner
By Belinda Tuneblom

2001 Subaru Outback Wagon AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

This is our first Subaru and my Husband and I are very pleased with it. We are skiers and the car is great for our ski tirps up to Vermont. We now have a baby boy and feel that the car is more than adequate for our growing family. I do however, wish there was more room between the back and front seats. It is a bit tight for the driver with a rear facing infant seat in the back seat. We like the racks on top due to the fact that our skis will now have to ride on the roof to make room for our son. Being a 4 cyl, it does lack a little power on uphill excelleration but this is something we can live with.

Favorite Features

Excellent gas mileage makes this vehicle a great alternative to the SUV's on the market. I also like the sporty styling. This is not your parents station wagon!

Suggested Improvements

Ergonomics on the interior could be better. It seems that all of the controls could be much more centrally located. Also, the seat heater switches are in a bad place, they are constantly being turned on by accident.

A decent vehicle
By hai

2001 Subaru Outback Wagon AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

We have driven our OB for 45k miles now. My wife drives it to work in the High Sierras during bad weather conditons. We did have warped front disc brakes when we bought it. It took three different dealers before they corrected the problem. Otherwise, no problems to speak of. Oh yes, I tightened the intake carburator manifold housing with a hose clamp and improved the gas mileage by 4 mpg! It is a 4 cylinder. Yes, it is slow on pickup. But we weren't looking for a racer. Just a safe, reliable, economical, all-weather vehicle. The only mechanical complaint I have to date is that the auto trans shift lever binds when shifting from park into gear.

Favorite Features

A safe, reliable, economical, all- weather vehicle.

Suggested Improvements

Shift mechanism on auto trans.

Unstoppable
By lazybugger

2001 Subaru Outback Wagon AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I have driven in all types of conditions and roads and found this car to be unstoppable.From snow and ice to heat and sand it handles it all with ease. A very capable and fuss free drive.

Favorite Features

Constant All Wheel Drive. No wondering when and where to engage AWD.

Suggested Improvements

A bit more load space would be an advantage.

Outback Wagon: 5-spd manual
By retro

2001 Subaru Outback Wagon AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I've had it now for 30,000 miles, and have not had any problems except a thermostat that was replaced (free under warranty, $15 otherwise). Excellent car, especially in winter; 5- spd with viscous coupling is wonderful in snow. (Highly recommended, better than automatic). The interior and exterior have held up very well, the car still looks and feels new. I feel the base Outback gives the best value for your money in the Subaru line. If AWD and reliability is important to you, this is the perfect car.

Favorite Features

(1) Viscous-coupling center diff: much better design than other AWDs in this price range. (2) Incredibly useful form factor (wagon) (3) Subaru reliability

Suggested Improvements

(1) More low-end torque and better mileage (Diesel option?) (2) Low-range gearing (as in European Forester) (3) Flip-up rear window glass (for carrying long items)

Great Car
By TimS

2001 Subaru Outback Wagon AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

All things considered, this is the best car availabe.

Favorite Features

All wheel drive, styling, utility, fuel economy, reliability

Suggested Improvements

more power, 40/60 split folddown rear seats

Careful if you are big/tall
By Elrond

2001 Subaru Outback Wagon AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

A fine car, but at 6'2"/210, not for a long drive. Of course, few cars are. My wife loves it and the traction is superior, snow or rain. No problems, at all, though I have noticed the torque issue on pulling away. I find the acceleration perfectly adequate or better. Accessories are fine. Bought the 6 CD, nosebag, and universal cover (we do lots of dirt roads).

Favorite Features

AWD is tops; reliability and solid feel come next.

Suggested Improvements

Floor mat on driver side came away early; more room for taller folks!

Outback
By stevelew

2001 Subaru Outback Wagon AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Excellent car. Great dealer. No problems so far. 30000 mile service was as expected $500.

Favorite Features

Nice heated seats. All controls are were they should be. Great car!