2001 Subaru Outback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Outback model:
Nice Little Wagon
By JCSschwartz on 07/03/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Subaru Outback AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I like the car and would consider buying another. Good MPG, ride, reliability.

'01 Subaru Outback wagon
By Larry Leidecker on 03/07/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Subaru Outback AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Overall, this is an extremely reliable and capable vehicle. I bought it new and have had it back for a recall to have the underside undercoated. Other than that, an engine light came on and so a sensor was replaced under warranty. Very good car overall, especially in the snow.

Awful
By Totally Unhappy on 01/22/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Subaru Outback AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I have owned three Hondas, two Toyotas, and one Mazda. I have heard a Subaru can be run into the ground and is good car. This Outback I have is either a lemon or others don't tell about all the little things that go wrong. I bought it for style admittedly, but it has been to back to the shop FIVE times in one year for strange noises, rattles, broken fan, and now a CHECK ENGINE light. I am selling this piece of junk the minute I get the light fixed. I almost feel guilty passing it off on someone else.

Happy 1st Time Owner
By Belinda Tuneblom on 01/12/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Subaru Outback AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

This is our first Subaru and my Husband and I are very pleased with it. We are skiers and the car is great for our ski tirps up to Vermont. We now have a baby boy and feel that the car is more than adequate for our growing family. I do however, wish there was more room between the back and front seats. It is a bit tight for the driver with a rear facing infant seat in the back seat. We like the racks on top due to the fact that our skis will now have to ride on the roof to make room for our son. Being a 4 cyl, it does lack a little power on uphill excelleration but this is something we can live with.

A decent vehicle
By hai on 09/06/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Subaru Outback AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

We have driven our OB for 45k miles now. My wife drives it to work in the High Sierras during bad weather conditons. We did have warped front disc brakes when we bought it. It took three different dealers before they corrected the problem. Otherwise, no problems to speak of. Oh yes, I tightened the intake carburator manifold housing with a hose clamp and improved the gas mileage by 4 mpg! It is a 4 cylinder. Yes, it is slow on pickup. But we weren't looking for a racer. Just a safe, reliable, economical, all-weather vehicle. The only mechanical complaint I have to date is that the auto trans shift lever binds when shifting from park into gear.

Outback Wagon: 5-spd manual
By retro on 08/11/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Subaru Outback AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I've had it now for 30,000 miles, and have not had any problems except a thermostat that was replaced (free under warranty, $15 otherwise). Excellent car, especially in winter; 5- spd with viscous coupling is wonderful in snow. (Highly recommended, better than automatic). The interior and exterior have held up very well, the car still looks and feels new. I feel the base Outback gives the best value for your money in the Subaru line. If AWD and reliability is important to you, this is the perfect car.

Unstoppable
By lazybugger on 08/11/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Subaru Outback AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I have driven in all types of conditions and roads and found this car to be unstoppable.From snow and ice to heat and sand it handles it all with ease. A very capable and fuss free drive.

Great Car
By TimS on 06/14/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Subaru Outback AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

All things considered, this is the best car availabe.

Careful if you are big/tall
By Elrond on 02/11/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Subaru Outback AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

A fine car, but at 6'2"/210, not for a long drive. Of course, few cars are. My wife loves it and the traction is superior, snow or rain. No problems, at all, though I have noticed the torque issue on pulling away. I find the acceleration perfectly adequate or better. Accessories are fine. Bought the 6 CD, nosebag, and universal cover (we do lots of dirt roads).

Outback
By stevelew on 01/10/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Subaru Outback AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Excellent car. Great dealer. No problems so far. 30000 mile service was as expected $500.