2001 Subaru Outback Consumer Review: 2001 Outback

2001 Subaru Outback - Consumer Review

Limited Wagon (2.5L 4-cyl. AWD 5-speed Manual)

2001 Outback
By Gary Beaver on

2001 Subaru Outback Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I am a long time Subaru owner and my current Outback is the fifth I have owned. Its overall performance and reliability are excellent. The styling is excellent as well. Based upon my experience with this model I most likely will buy another Subaru when I am ready to trade this one in. My only real complaint is with the transmission. It is solid and reliable, but it is rather clunky. By that, I mean it does not always shift smoothly and I often feel it slightly hesitate and "clunk" rather gracelessly into gear. I don't think this rough shifting fortells a more serious problem.

The handling is great! It corners very well. I have the 2.5 liter engine which has plenty of pick up for me - in the city or the interstate. The styling is really cool.

The transmission oftens shift roughly. If this could be smoothed out, then this would be a substantial improvement on an otherwise fine vehicle.